Options

Question - SmugMug vs PBase feature

1129011290 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Not wanting to start any kind of which is a better site discussion. I am currently on PBase (lat 5 or 6 years) and I am happy with it. I tried the trial of Smugmug and I like the site and am planning on switching in the not to distant future,

My question is, in Pbase the listing of new public galleries shows up in chronological order as the people upload photos so you can just go through and if you see something that interests you, just click and look.

So far with SmugMug (possibly I just haven't found it yet) all I see is that you have to do a search for a keyword, look at which are the most popular, etc., to view public galleries. Personally I like the way it is done on PBase better. I dislike having to pick through keywords and such.

Is there someplace on SmugMug that I am missing that shows the galleries in upload order similar to PBase? I have looked and looked through the site and haven't found it yet. Maybe I'm not just talented enough to find it, so decided to just go ahead and ask. Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    You can sort your galleries by most recent if you'd like.

See help page at http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    11290 wrote:
    Not wanting to start any kind of which is a better site discussion. I am currently on PBase (lat 5 or 6 years) and I am happy with it. I tried the trial of Smugmug and I like the site and am planning on switching in the not to distant future,

My question is, in Pbase the listing of new public galleries shows up in chronological order as the people upload photos so you can just go through and if you see something that interests you, just click and look.

So far with SmugMug (possibly I just haven't found it yet) all I see is that you have to do a search for a keyword, look at which are the most popular, etc., to view public galleries. Personally I like the way it is done on PBase better. I dislike having to pick through keywords and such.

Is there someplace on SmugMug that I am missing that shows the galleries in upload order similar to PBase? I have looked and looked through the site and haven't found it yet. Maybe I'm not just talented enough to find it, so decided to just go ahead and ask. Thanks !
    Sure you could use a recent galleries feed, also thumb.gif
  • Options
    1129011290 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Denise: Sorry, I guess I didn't make my post clear enough. I was asking about the galleries of others, not my personal galleries.

Andy: The only way I found to get to "recent galleries" was to use the search box. Is there another button link or is that the only way, other than to make that URL a bookmark. When I finally did the search after looking for a button link to recent galleries, I only found 173. Is there a way to go further back? If there is I didn't find it after a LOT of looking.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I really do like browsing to see what other people are shooting.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 6, 2008
    11290 wrote:
    Denise: Sorry, I guess I didn't make my post clear enough. I was asking about the galleries of others, not my personal galleries.
    Oops! Sorry, I misunderstood. Luckily Andy understood what you were asking...

For the galleries of others, it's up to the owner of the site how they organize their galleries.

I agree with you that it's a good thing to have a way to easily find the most recent galleries, but I don't like galleries changing positions on the page, so I never arrange by most recent. I arrange the galleries in my categories so that my current active gallery within a category is first. That's the last gallery that I created, or the one that I am actively adding to (I keep a running gallery by season, where the photos are sorted with the newest gallery on the top). Of course those galleries are scattered across a few categories, so that's still not a map to the most current.

I highlight my newest galleries on my Kaleidoscope page where I also have a link to the most recent photos.

I have seen others who keep a page that is a (link) list of galleries with the latest gallery is always on top. As I said, it's up to the owner of the galleries.

But, as Andy suggested, you could use the feeds - if the gallery owner hasn't removed them. They are usually on the bottom of the home page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    If i've removed the standard smugmug footer from my pages - is there a way to just have the feeds link available without the other items?