~Working with my Nikon D80~
<My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 6, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    so many views and not 1 comment. :(

Patience. Response can be pretty random at times...depends on who's looking and whether something is burning on the stove, etc. We all get disappointed from time to time. Why don't you put the photo back and give it another try?
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    I feel your pain...I had 180 views on mine and just a couple of responses. Not sure what is happening to this forum...it has changed. ne_nau.gif

But please put the image back up...I'll give you my opinion for what is worth. PS Check your PM I have some forum news for you.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Molsondog wrote:
    I agree. The ratio of "lookers" to "posters" is often 50:1 or even lower.

I totally agree there!
    Molsondog wrote:
    ...We all think our image is important and powerful enough to cause pandemonium as folks race to comment.

I never ever think my image is powerful...it's why I always put a CC on it. I want to improve, and am totally thicked skin...I love critiques.
    Molsondog wrote:
    ...Once your thread gets going others pile on. Shy bunch out there, ya know.

Totally know what you mean here.

Like your words Molsondog! thumb.gif Great comment.
  • Options
    PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    If it makes a difference.. I look at these forums pretty much every day and I hadn't seen your post before the picture was taken down.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 6, 2008
    Right this minute there are 89 members and 646 lurkers on Dgrin. This is about typical. Lurkers can't post, but their views are counted. Just something else to keep in mind. deal.gif
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Oh Tam, I wish I had seen the picture
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Patience. Response can be pretty random at times...depends on who's looking and whether something is burning on the stove, etc. We all get disappointed from time to time. Why don't you put the photo back and give it another try?

ok. As a Stay at Home mom, sometimes the emotions of the day catch up on you.

This was taken at my cousin's graduation party from nursing school.

She has this simple beauty that amazes me. But thinks the camera is not her friend. She kept looking away whenever I pointed the camera at her. Quiet, and unassuming.

306863403_qyqAi-L.jpg
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    You did the best you can do...I hate when people don't look at the lens. What I do is I don't move until they look up. I tell them I'm not going to move...so just smile for the camera. The colors are vibrant.
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    It is fun to shoot people like this. I like to get my telephoto out and hide on the other side of the room. Funny thing is after they see a decent candid shot of themselves, they start to be more open to you and your camera in their face.

I've often felt that we as a society are still scared by the old film days of photography. It used to be you would go into the studio and you would have three shots. The photographer would sit you in a position that felt like you had your head on your shoulder and a stick up your back...totally uncomfortable, then they would give you the "3" count all the while you are trying to keep your eyes open. They get dry at about 2 1/2 so you blink and end up with three funny looking photos of yourself so you conclude that you are not "photogenic". When I get people like that, I put the camera on multiple shot and just open the shutter for around 20-30 frames until they understand that we are going to have to relax and just take some fun photos.

All things considered...great shot. Keep after her. Also, if you have a flash, try bouncing it off the adjacent wall or ceiling. Can't wait to see your next photo.
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    It is fun to shoot people like this. I like to get my telephoto out and hide on the other side of the room. Funny thing is after they see a decent candid shot of themselves, they start to be more open to you and your camera in their face.
    Can't wait to see your next photo.

I think with her, I will have to try this technique. I saw her last night, and showed her what I had taken and she looked shocked. Wanted to know if I did a lot of editting to it, to make her "look better" This shot was pretty much SOOC. Maybe next time, she will open up more.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**