Options

Schmoo, Utrecht, Amsterdam and a fisheye lens

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited June 8, 2008 in Journeys
I've had the honor of a very special friend visiting me for a few days. The weather has been really kind to us and we were able to spend pretty much all the time outside.

We first had a look around Utrecht, the city where I am currently residing, and where I grew up as well. It's interesting to see how someone else that does not know the city views it. When living somewhere it is easy to take things that you see on a regular basis for granted.

There is a very big church downtown, the St Martin Cathedral, or Dom Church. It has sort of a square with a monument in front of it:
303440795_HnEWu-L.jpg

There is also a beautifully enclosed garden/courtyard:
296615621_RNkyU-L.jpg
(posted here, also)

There are some open corridors around the courtyard:
303441037_HJWZP-L.jpg

We visited Amsterdam, also. I rarely ever go there, so I was as much as of a tourist there as Schmoo;

These things I thought were funny for some reason; You can put your contacts in them
303432742_TzmE9-L.jpg

Noticed all the fisheye shots so far? I don't have a fisheye but Schmoo did. She took a few shots, and then I got hold of it.... pretty much until she left :lol3 But just to prove that I wasn't completely hogging it:
303441298_4kFz6-L.jpg

Like Schmoo, I love to just sit somewhere, look at people, eat and drink a bit, talk a bit, take some photos.

At one point we were sitting down close to a fairly busy road, and I tried my luck at panning. It's hard, really really hard;
303434315_YcAur-L.jpg

Public transportation in the Netherlands is actually quite good, so we took a train to Amsterdam and back;
303434897_crLgi-L.jpg

I was so happy to have someone around that also likes to shoot, that I thought I had to document that & her. I may have overdone it a bit, judging by her reaction :lol3
303435076_se2di-L.jpg

Possibly more, later.

Comments

• Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Ivar, I had a feeling this was your post from the title :) Looks like you guys had fun and there is a fisheye in your near future :) Nice photos, I am very impressed that you managed to squeeze in the SM logo from Schmoo's camera strap.

Some of my roots are from Enschede. I checked mapquest it doesn't look too close (relatively speaking) to Utrecht. My dad, sister and I drove there once from Germany. We looked around for a bit then left. Not much of an agenda. I would like to go back at some point and definately check out Amsterdam.

I will look forward to seeing some more...
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    What a great series! clap.gif It was so great shooting, sitting, talking, just living life with you for a couple of short days. I don't mind you taking my photo (just don't tell Andy lol3.gif) esp as I was doing the same. :D

I love how the fisheye makes getting Muench stars so easy. 180 degree vision makes me want to be a fish lol3.gif

Looking forward to seeing the NL again sometime!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    must.buy.fish eye lens.

Looks like a lot of fun to hang out with other dgrinners!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 31, 2008
    Dude! Fish rules!

And that 8mm is a real treat.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Thanks guys, and yes, fish rules! I can't really compare the 8mm to another one, since it was the first time I used a fisheye, really :D

Akt, Enschede is just over an hour from Utrecht I guess, not that bad. I don't really get to that area a lot. It's very close to the German border, actually

Yes, Moogle, It was a lot of fun :D
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Thanks guys, and yes, fish rules! I can't really compare the 8mm to another one, since it was the first time I used a fisheye, really :D

Akt, Enschede is just over an hour from Utrecht I guess, not that bad. I don't really get to that area a lot. It's very close to the German border, actually

Yes, Moogle, It was a lot of fun :D

That's not very far at all. BTW, it seems that Utrecht is in the news today:

Prankster hurt in 'mooning' gone wrong.

I hope it wasn't anyone you know :)
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Great collection of shots Ivar.

Peace, gail
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Thanks, Gail wave.gif

I missed that news, Akt lol3.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Great photos thanks for sharing Amazing place clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Awesome shots you two got, looks like it was a lot of fun!