Assignment #6: Extreme Crop

12346»

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like the approach/vision. Technically you're in.
    However the 2d shot is plain boring. Bird is in a dead center, nothing is going on, lighing is flat... ne_nau.gif

You're right, I tried a bit more pp on it, got the image replaced now.

Wouldn't give meself a passing grade on 'saving your worst shot' there, but in my defence, the shade had just reached the nest when I got there, and this is racing driver level excuses now, I can either think creatively or fast not both :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Here's the uncropped original:
    Century-fuel-cap.jpg

Here it is cropped:
    Century-fiel-cap-crop.jpg

Nah! Not extreme enough. Here's the final crop:
    Century-wood-plug-crop.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Here's the uncropped original:
    Here it is cropped:
    Nah! Not extreme enough. Here's the final crop:
    Lee, thank you!
    One thing though: no matter how hard I tried I really don't see anything in the final image that would justify the trouble of cropping and posting. ne_nau.gif What were you going for? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    A quick question
    This thread was started in 2006 if I read right - but there are posts from 2008. I know it was for the Assignments thread - can we still post to the different topic threads?

Maybe a stupid question but I'm going to get the list and try to work through some of them and was wondering if I could still get feedback from Darth SLR :)
    edited June 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lee, thank you!
    One thing though: no matter how hard I tried I really don't see anything in the final image that would justify the trouble of cropping and posting. ne_nau.gif What were you going for? headscratch.gif

The wood plug (that covers a screw) at the bottom of the image. You know, the part that's in focus. mwink.gif:D

Its the same plug that's to the right of the hardware (as you're looking at it) in the second image.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 7, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    The wood plug (that covers a screw) at the bottom of the image. You know, the part that's in focus. mwink.gif:D

Its the same plug that's to the right of the hardware (as you're looking at it) in the second image.

Oh, I see.. I thought about that, but it seemed too insignificant to me to suggest it should the the focus of the whole image. I think it only shows that I don't know much about boats to appreciate this kind of stuff mwink.gif
    edited June 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Oh, I see.. I thought about that, but it seemed too insignificant to me to suggest it should the the focus of the whole image. I think it only shows that I don't know much about boats to appreciate this kind of stuff mwink.gif

Nah, Nikolai. I think it means that I'm too much into looking for minutiae and trying to confuse people with it. I've done it all my life, and this assignment gave me yet another opportunity to utilize that tired, used up ploy again. rolleyes1.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Not really what you want . .
    Here is the first Photo,

308057251_v6P3V-L.jpg

Here is the Follow Up Crop - CHECK OUT THE FRONT SEAT

308994638_RpXHP-L.jpg
    edited June 7, 2008
    madigg wrote:
    Here is the first Photo,
    And even after the hint I still don't get it...ne_nau.gif
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Here's my first attempt...
    I actually did this one the other way around as I'm fascinated by birds of prey - although I don't have a birding lens really - only 200mm

First the scenery... on a really dull day but I was thinking of the technique more than getting an awesome shot
    DSC_8139.jpg

That tiny tiny speck just above the trees on the left...
    DSC_8134.jpg

Then my second - slightly more obvious attempt- pic of a stream (I actually stopped to photograph the bridge which dated to around 1700)
    DSC_8149.jpg

Then the extreme zoom
    DSC_8150.jpg

So is this the sort of thing - I did have to use my "feet zoom" in the first one but the second one I didn't as it would have meant walking off the bridge - a somewhat larger step than I was willing to take mwink.gif

Thanks
    Jase
    edited June 8, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    I actually did this one the other way around as I'm fascinated by birds of prey - although I don't have a birding lens really - only 200mm

First the scenery... on a really dull day but I was thinking of the technique more than getting an awesome shot

That tiny tiny speck just above the trees on the left...

Then my second - slightly more obvious attempt- pic of a stream (I actually stopped to photograph the bridge which dated to around 1700)

Then the extreme zoom

So is this the sort of thing - I did have to use my "feet zoom" in the first one but the second one I didn't as it would have meant walking off the bridge - a somewhat larger step than I was willing to take mwink.gif

Thanks
    Jase

Thank you Jase, nice entries! thumb.gif
    edited June 8, 2008
    Is the ? in the box a reflection or ? ? ?
    309286596_AScZY-L.jpg
    madigg wrote:
    Here is the first Photo,

308057251_v6P3V-L.jpg

308994638_RpXHP-L.jpg
    edited June 9, 2008
    madigg wrote:
    Here is the first Photo,
    Call me stupid, but I'm still cluelessheadscratch.gif
    edited June 9, 2008
    4 people say they see a little boy looking out the window...
    edited June 9, 2008
    madigg wrote:
    4 people say they see a little boy looking out the window...
    You mean that ghostly face-lile combination of light and shade?
    Dude, you do have a vivid imagination and 40/40 vision mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Here are my attempts at a crop. My friend and I were casually smoking a cigarettes in my bathroom. Low and behold, a fly was buzzing around. After I chased it around for 10 minutes, I managed to knock it out. Needless to say, she was a very cooperative after that. Here they are, enjoy.

No photoshop, just submitted as shot.

343989444_NCHPm-L.jpg
    343989434_XgKkC-L.jpg

343989437_gCZfb-L.jpg
    343989450_r4rhe-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited August 3, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Here are my attempts at a crop. My friend and I were casually smoking a cigarettes in my bathroom. Low and behold, a fly was buzzing around. After I chased it around for 10 minutes, I managed to knock it out. Needless to say, she was a very cooperative after that. Here they are, enjoy.

No photoshop, just submitted as shot.
    Thank you Frank!
    It's a crop alright... However I would like to call your attention to the fact that we are not simply trying to use this or that technique for its own sake, but also deliver a quality result by using it. Your VP entries did great. These - no so much...ne_nau.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you Frank!
    It's a crop alright... However I would like to call your attention to the fact that we are not simply trying to use this or that technique for its own sake, but also deliver a quality result by using it. Your VP entries did great. These - no so much...ne_nau.gif

Silly me. You are absolutely right. The second you get lazy, it'll reflect in your work. I'll reshoot a proper crop. I took these for fun, and thought it fit the assignment. Thanks Nikolai. ;-)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Little T wrote:
    264455233_Du2ED-L.jpg

I just wanted to say "yyeah" to all the DnD peeps. Awesome paint job on the Blue Dragon. They fling electricity or "lightning bolt" spells. Which edition set did he come from?
  • JustRamblingJustRambling Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2016
    DSC_0184-XL.jpg

DSC_0185-XL.jpg