Options

Spring in Japan

mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited June 8, 2008 in Journeys
Hi all,

After lurking for some time, I thought I'd have a go at sharing my recent piccies. In no particular order:

It all started with a beer, Ashai is a tasty beer in Japan. My first photo from my GRII (actually I bought it for hubby - he he).

2332393641_b122c76193.jpg

We went to see Mount Aso, the famous volcano. It was a tad wet.

2357455566_38d941484e.jpg

The food was fantastic. This is a steamer for pork buns (char siew bau), my favourite street snack.

2381951597_43d9419e2a_o.jpg

I got to practice my street photography. This is a nun collecting alms outside a Tiffinay shop.

2363205943_a70050bf8a.jpg

I managed to leave my battery charger behind, which left me to play with my GRII. This is straight from Lightroom with no PS. They are slippers outside my room in the ryokan (a traditional B&B in Japan).

2370128467_5080937450.jpg

The wet markets are always fun. This BW was done using part of the tutorials in the technique forum, based on Dan M workflow.

2376325771_7fb06c7c7a_o.jpg

How could I resist. I must admit to chasing them down the road to capture this one. Not to be recommended unless you have a patient friend who will pretend to be the subject ahead of you.

2381789263_9e1223dbc0_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Nicely stylized and processed.
    I think the first shot is the best b/c as soon as I saw it, I wanted a bottle of beer. Asahi beer at that too.
    Hmmmmmm beer........
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    You must share more often! Top notch work! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Yessss! Love these! I am especially happy to see the beautiful B&W portrait, because it does what I reckon portraits should do, and that is, the subject is in the background, the background speaks with the subject's voice.

What male senior (maybe even female) woudn't be tickled pink with such a characterful portrait of himself/herself, rather than looking generically flirtatious among the daisies in some park?

Beautiful, playful, accomplished work. Thanks!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Hi manda thank you so much for delurking! This is a great set of a great place. You have a real talent for storytelling with or without the words.

I love your high-key processing, which really works for your shots. Please share more with us! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    These are all very excellent photos!! clap.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Sshhweet set. The nun shot looks so symmetrical, I thought there was a mirror in the middle. I actually liked the wet lens effect when it rained on your 2nd shot, haha, I'm not sure why but I do. I like the last shot's colors and dof as well.

Yeah I think you should do more series and share more often. It could hone your skills more and entertain us about Japan along the way!
  • Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I'm tickled pink, thanks for such a positive response, I was a bit nervous as it was my first serious post.
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I thought the first seven pictures were the bestheadscratch.gif hmmm..I guess that means I loved the whole series of photosclap.gif Great job
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LeonardoLeonardo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    :D Very Japanese pictures.... short and sweet.... I like a lotthumb.gif
  • Options
    Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    manda wrote:
    Hi all,

After lurking for some time, I thought I'd have a go at sharing my recent piccies. In no particular order:

It all started with a beer, Ashai is a tasty beer in Japan. My first photo from my GRII (actually I bought it for hubby - he he).

Thanks for viewing.

Such great pics!

I wish i would of had more time to go sight seeing and such when i was in Japan, but i was there for my brothers wedding. Which i was in so i couldnt even get many pictures of that GRRR

Anywho Ashai is rather good beer and I recommend if you like beer to give it a try.
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Love the perspiration on the アサヒ. This is a great set of photos you've got here.
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Wow, so much atmosphere comes through in these.

I love the pork bun steamer, the slippers, the nun... actually they are all great!
    clap.gif