Options

Midwest Floods

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Landscapes

Comments

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    It is a pretty common site now. I live in Ankeny and have been driving home from Johnston over the Saylorville Dam. The Lake web site say we will be about 5 ft below the levels of 1993 on 6/11. And that prediction only takes into account the rain that has already fallen.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    I know! Today it rained from early morning until about 3pm. I work at my real job in a valley down by the DSM river... because I'm awesome. My coworkers have been telling me about the 93 flood and how everything was under five feet of water. :S
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    River is rising where I live..seems to be raining all over the mid-west with no let up.

thumb.gif on your photo.
  • Options
    Balls CastenBalls Casten Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 9, 2008
    From the marina this morning.
    This is the upper parking lot!
    marina.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    I'm screwed! I work under the river line and all the houses on the river have been evacuated!! I want to get a Camera Club going in Ankeny Johnston... so anyone else interested? We, together, can document the floods. Plus, have you guys seen the god tree in Ankeny? It's freakishly big. It's a small farmhouse NW of Ankeny.
    If we get a camera club up: I vote that's our first destination.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    From the marina this morning.
    This is the upper parking lot!
    marina.jpg

!!! You should see the bridge I work by... it's like I'm driving on the river. Stay safe!
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I'm up for the camera club. We have a small group (3) that meets monthly at my work (Pioneer in Johnston). But all three of us are from Ankeny. I also know one of the guys that leads the Des Moines Camera Club, but they don't meet in the summer.

I tried to come home over the Dam on my way home and they stopped letting traffic go over sometime today. I did take some pics on my way in and ome today that I'll try to post later. I'm heading out to the Dam now on my bike.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    I'm up for the camera club. We have a small group (3) that meets monthly at my work (Pioneer in Johnston). But all three of us are from Ankeny. I also know one of the guys that leads the Des Moines Camera Club, but they don't meet in the summer.

I tried to come home over the Dam on my way home and they stopped letting traffic go over sometime today. I did take some pics on my way in and ome today that I'll try to post later. I'm heading out to the Dam now on my bike.

So... you're all from Ankeny and you meet in Johnston? that's silly! Especially with the flood waters getting after us!
    What all do you do in the club and are there fees and whatnot?
  • Options
    Balls CastenBalls Casten Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2008
    I'm new to this whole camera thing. But would enjoy getting together and chewing your ear off.
    Will there be beer involved?

I'm in Johnston up by the mile long bridge.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    I'm new to this whole camera thing. But would enjoy getting together and chewing your ear off.
    Will there be beer involved?

I'm in Johnston up by the mile long bridge.

If you don't mind coming to Ankeny I don't see why not? I'm not a "read a book, learn a lot" type. I learn by doing it, screwing up horribly, being corrected, getting mad at everything, and finally letting the knowledge slip into my head and it all makes sense. I'm trying to get an Ankeny area camera club going because a lot of the pros I've talked to and begged help from have said they learned a ton from doing that. Plus, we can pool equipment. I have two construction lights that are magnanimously bright, two nat. blue flouros with silver-semi opaque umbrellas, two huge reflectors, two light stands, and a hell of a lot of fabric. I like a theatrical approach to photography and I assemble costumes, makeup, wigs, props, and staging for my models. I'm just a grown up kid.

I want to take everyone in this area to the god tree, I know there's a good picture out there. There's an abandoned farmhouse, and a small lake :)

Stay safe midwest! you can contact me at cmorganphotography@gmail.com