Options

Same Image, two different Looks

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited June 9, 2008 in Finishing School
I have always had a difference between what I see in Photoshop or Lightroom and what I see when I upload to DGRIN. This photo just seemed more extreme than the others. The photo on the right is in Lightroom (TIF). I exported it from lightroom using sRGB 240 dpi then uploaded it to Smugmug. This graphic is a screen capture of the internet version (DGRIN) and Lightroom. What simple thing am I overlooking that is causing me this grief? Thank you in advance. :thumb

308063881_STfKN-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    I have always had a difference between what I see in Photoshop or Lightroom and what I see when I upload to DGRIN. This photo just seemed more extreme than the others. The photo on the right is in Lightroom (TIF). I exported it from lightroom using sRGB 240 dpi then uploaded it to Smugmug. This graphic is a screen capture of the internet version (DGRIN) and Lightroom. What simple thing am I overlooking that is causing me this grief? Thank you in advance. thumb.gif

This is odd. Usually, the explanation is that you're looking at the image on Smugmug on a non-color-managed browser and that's why the browser looks different than Lightroom.

But, I see from your screen shot that you are using Safari on a Mac which is the one shipping browser that is color-managed and should give the same look at Photoshop.

I found the dgrin posting you were talking about. I downloaded both the image from the dgrin posting and the original sized image from your gallery. Both look the same to me in Safari and both look the same in Photoshop and all look like the less colorful version that you show in your dgrin screenshot.

I can only come to the conclusion that something happened in the Lightroom export that isn't what you planned for. I think the image got changed at that step. Do you still have that image on disk? Can you load that from disk into Safari and see which one that looks like? You you import that one back into Lightroom and see which one it looks like in Lightroom?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    This is odd. Usually, the explanation is that you're looking at the image on Smugmug on a non-color-managed browser and that's why the browser looks different than Lightroom.

But, I see from your screen shot that you are using Safari on a Mac which is the one shipping browser that is color-managed and should give the same look at Photoshop.

I found the dgrin posting you were talking about. I downloaded both the image from the dgrin posting and the original sized image from your gallery. Both look the same to me in Safari and both look the same in Photoshop and all look like the less colorful version that you show in your dgrin screenshot.

I can only come to the conclusion that something happened in the Lightroom export that isn't what you planned for. I think the image got changed at that step. Do you still have that image on disk? Can you load that from disk into Safari and see which one that looks like? You you import that one back into Lightroom and see which one it looks like in Lightroom?

Thanks John for your research and efforts on this! I'll investigate your recommendation this weekend. Great sluthing, I think your analysis is correct.

Have a great weekend.
  • Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

I get the same results with Firefox on Windows. I wonder if the original, more colorful tiff has its colors clipped in export/conversion to sRGB. Would a way to check this be to load the tiff into Photoshop, and then use

View > Proof Setup > Custom > Device to Simulate: sRGB

and then toggling

View > Proof Colors

on and off, and using

View > Gamut Warning

on and off?
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    dandill wrote:
    I get the same results with Firefox on Windows. I wonder if the original, more colorful tiff has its colors clipped in export/conversion to sRGB. Would a way to check this be to load the tiff into Photoshop, and then use

View > Proof Setup > Custom > Device to Simulate: sRGB

and then toggling

View > Proof Colors

on and off, and using

View > Gamut Warning

on and off?

I also wondered if it could be an issue with the smaller color gamut of sRGB, but we can see a screen shot (in sRGB) that shows the original image colors just fine so I decided that's probably not it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I also wondered if it could be an issue with the smaller color gamut of sRGB, but we can see a screen shot (in sRGB) that shows the original image colors just fine so I decided that's probably not it.
    OK. To sort out what is going on, what about exporting the image from Lightroom as a tiff in ProPhotoRGB, and then having a look at that in Photoshop, to see if it looks the same as it does in Lightroom. If it does not, that would localize the source of the problem to the export from Lightroom.
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    An untagged document that isn't in sRGB even on Safari would produce improper previews. A tagged image would not (untagged doc's in Safari are assumed to be in display RGB).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    An untagged document that isn't in sRGB even on Safari would produce improper previews. A tagged image would not (untagged doc's in Safari are assumed to be in display RGB).
    The image

http://tesseract.smugmug.com/photos/307558827_Ny9nK-L.jpg

seems to be tagged sRGB.
    Dan Dill

Ginger Jones
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Looks and sounds like your only exporting as sRGB. You need to first 'convert' from whatever color space to sRGB then export as sRGB (or whatever you converted to). If your not converting first try doing so as I believe that should fix your color issues. thumb.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!