Options

Aperture 2 & Photoshop Elements 6

Denise B.Denise B. Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited June 9, 2008 in Finishing School
I have a Mac computer and use Aperture 1.5 & Photoshop Elements 4. I am definitely wanting to upgrade to the new Aperture 2, but am wondering if I should also upgrade my Photoshop program.

Does anyone have any pros or cons on the new Photoshop for Macs? Also any pros or cons for the new Aperture?

One of these days I would like the full version of Photoshop, but right now I just need minimal things, so Elements has worked great for me.

Thanks in advance,
Denise

Comments

• Options
    LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    While I can't speak about PSE 6 (I have CS3), the new Aperture is amazing. It feels faster, snappier, and overall better designed than 1.5 was. If you're dealing with large files, the preview option is a godsend (especially on slower machines). Having the library, metadata, and adjustments be on the same panel is also great, in that it maximizes the amount of space that you have for you actual pictures. I really haven't messed around with the new plugins, but I assume that unless you are a PS guru, for most things, they should suffice in eliminating the need for a second program. You can actually get a trial version from Apple and try it out for yourself before you go and drop cash on it.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    Thanks!
    Lovesong wrote:
    While I can't speak about PSE 6 (I have CS3), the new Aperture is amazing. It feels faster, snappier, and overall better designed than 1.5 was. If you're dealing with large files, the preview option is a godsend (especially on slower machines). Having the library, metadata, and adjustments be on the same panel is also great, in that it maximizes the amount of space that you have for you actual pictures. I really haven't messed around with the new plugins, but I assume that unless you are a PS guru, for most things, they should suffice in eliminating the need for a second program. You can actually get a trial version from Apple and try it out for yourself before you go and drop cash on it.

Thanks so much for the information! I saw the new Aperture in the store and thought it looked really great, but was wanting to hear from someone who has actually used it.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I love Aperture 2 and with the plug-ins it makes PS almost obsolete unless you are doing special effects.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    Thanks!
    dlplumer wrote:
    I love Aperture 2 and with the plug-ins it makes PS almost obsolete unless you are doing special effects.wings.gif

Thank you very much for the information. I can not wait to get Aperture 2. I am planning on getting it this month.

I was looking at your pictures and noticed you have a Rebel Xsi. How do you like it? I have the Xti and love it! I liked your hummingbird pictures also.

Denise
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Denise B. wrote:
    Thank you very much for the information. I can not wait to get Aperture 2. I am planning on getting it this month.

I was looking at your pictures and noticed you have a Rebel Xsi. How do you like it? I have the Xti and love it! I liked your hummingbird pictures also.

Denise

I had the XT and recently purchased the XSi which I love. Also purchased some L glass. Now I just have to learn to use it all wings.gif