Options

Is size important ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 1, 2004 in Accessories
Ok doods & doodettes....waxola has put me onto Buy.com & im buying some big memory there, problem is that im an idiot.

What is the big difference here between these two ?

Sandisk 1 Gig compact flash SDCFB-1000-768 @ $150 USD

or the........

Lexar 1 Gig compact flash 40x speed @ $260 USD

Thats $130 clams diff here in 0z speak...I already have a standard 128 CF card that im perfectly happy with so is it really ness to go to the high speed ?

Thanks all...god i love this site ! & i love fish specially...he sent me some grits & for that im putting him in my will, he gets my collection of boot lasts & coca cola yo-yo's.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    I reckon the biggest difference between the two cards is how fast they intake information, and how fast they output it.

I also reckon that those numbers only really matter when you're dealing with huge files from dSLRs. Or if you shoot a ton of frames in burst mode. Most of the time, a consumer camera won't stress the card. For example, I have both of the cards you mention, and for the life of me I can't detect one whit of difference in the performance.

I figure it's because my little 4mp files are a ho-hum affair for them. Gimme the 1DmkII and I'm sure it would be a different story.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Well, I decided that Humun needed a bit more reassurance, so I figure a lady telling him that size doesn't matter so much as how he uses it would be helpful. bisou.gif

No worries.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    . Or if you shoot a ton of frames in burst mode. .
    Thats what i was thinking also but my standard 'slow' old card will do 3.3 frames per second so i really dont know what its all about.

Come on i know there are speed boffin's lying in wait in this group....speak now or ..etc etc
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Well, I decided that Humun needed a bit more reassurance, so I figure a lady telling him that size doesn't matter so much as how he uses it would be helpful. bisou.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

The main difference is speed and your camera may or may not be able to take advantage of it. The Lexar card also comes with a dedicated card reader, which adds a little to the price.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 31, 2004
    fish wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

The main difference is speed and your camera may or may not be able to take advantage of it. The Lexar card also comes with a dedicated card reader, which adds a little to the price.
    But I usually read my Lexar 1Gb card in my Sandisk card reader that is always plugged into my PC. The only difference I see is that for very large fast file transfer - like a DSLR in multi-frame mode... Like Waxy - I use a Sandisk and a Lexas 40X interchangeably.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    But I usually read my Lexar 1Gb card in my Sandisk card reader that is always plugged into my PC. The only difference I see is that for very large fast file transfer - like a DSLR in multi-frame mode... Like Waxy - I use a Sandisk and a Lexas 40X interchangeably.

I have both standard and 22x CF cards. On my Olympus C2500L it doesn't much matter which I use. On my Rebel the 22x card blows everything else away; it's even about twice as fast as the microdrive. This makes a huge difference if you're taking shots quickly; the difference between, say, 5 and 3 seconds per frame becomes very noticable when you've filled your shot buffer :-).
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com