Options

Weekly Assignment #79: Groundhog

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Assignments
Our next assignment is simple: you need to get as close to the ground as possible. This technique is very useful when you want to bring some novelty and dynamism to an otherwise dull scene. It is usually combined with the usage of a very wide-angle (and maybe even Tilt) lens.
One thing to watch for is a keystoning effect. The slightest skew will make the vertical lines converging (or diverging). Sometimes it can be put to a good use intentionally, but often it looks bad. A bubble level usage is highly recommended. And if you decide to go for keystoning - make it bold!
Another common technique (especially when keeping keystoning at bay) is to use only a (upper) half of the frame, since the other half is often not very interesting.
One of the typical obstacles is framing. LiveView is a life-saver, so is AngleFinder and ZigView.
Requirements:
  • Fresh pictures, as always
  • Your camera shall not be higher than just a few inches from the ground
  • Moderate post-processing OK
  • Each entry shall include:
    - an image of your subject taken from the conventional point of view
    - a setup picture showing you/your camera/.. in the shooting position (you may need to use your camera phone or P&S for this)
    - final image (or two if you decide to go for both keystoned and non-keystoned images)
    - minimal exif info (gear, iso, aperture, etc.)
  • Multiple entries are OK provided they cover different subjects or different conditions (e.g. day vs night)
Let's get down to the ground!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    AAAAAArrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh

I had the shot for this yesterday and I never took it!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gif

Decided I could not put up with dear son moaning any longer!!

Tim
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    The ultimate groundhog!
    They are taking over my backyard! Its not easy to get down this low! Or to get back up for all that matters....lol.
    Taken with Nikon D300
    5/27/08 11:20am
    sspeed 1/2000
    f/stop 7.1
    iso 400
    focal length 18mm
    302450112_sRNtq-L.jpg

same as above with the following exceptions...
    ss 1/6400 f/5.6 FL 55mm
    302450362_HFZN2-L.jpg

I just realized I do not have a pic of me taking a pic. This was an uncomfortable position for me to do as I have a disability and its a one time thing with me. Hope thats ok.
    303024695_7mqpv-M-1.jpg

303024666_zQkt5-M-1.jpg

Here is the set up although the camera shown is my lil daughters camera but its broken so was unable to show how my D300 was angled. I put the camera on the concrete then angled upward for the shot of the single flower...on the multable one I did not angle but shot straight on.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    They are taking over my backyard! Its not easy to get down this low! Or to get back up for all that matters....lol.
    Taken with Nikon D300
    5/27/08 11:20am
    sspeed 1/2000
    f/stop 7.1
    iso 400
    focal length 18mm

same as above with the following exceptions...
    ss 1/6400 f/5.6 FL 55mm

I just realized I do not have a pic of me taking a pic. This was an uncomfortable position for me to do as I have a disability and its a one time thing with me. Hope thats ok.

Jag, did you get a "conventional vantage point" picture?
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    From the ground
    302625116_UezH2-L.jpg

Standing
    302624878_sWhth-L.jpg

Setup
    302624577_NLNjH-L.jpg

NIKON D80 1/50 f/13 ISO 100 40mm

I probably would not have ever taken the shot standing, but I am not sure I would have thought to get quite this low without the assignment. I am glad I did because I really like how it came out.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    spb13 wrote:
    From the ground
    Standing
    Setup

NIKON D80 1/50 f/13 ISO 100 40mm

I probably would not have ever taken the shot standing, but I am not sure I would have thought to get quite this low without the assignment. I am glad I did because I really like how it came out.

Sean, great entry, thanks! thumb.gif
    Where was this?
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sean, great entry, thanks! thumb.gif
    Where was this?

It is a neighborhood near where I live called Independence.

180017849_4rPpg-S.jpg
  • Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    My first play at a weekly assignment. ;) All image have EXIF intact.

1. On his level...
    302357471_82EV5-O.jpg

2. From standing position...
    302919150_aSegm-O.jpg

I do not have an image of the setup, but it was just my 5D and Canon 50 1.4 or Canon 85 1.8 with 580 EX.
    Here is one more of our cute lil doggie. Sorry, :D I cannot help but share...
    302357406_kZ6Jw-O.jpg
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    My first play at a weekly assignment. ;) All image have EXIF intact.
    1. On his level...
    2. From standing position...
    I do not have an image of the setup, but it was just my 5D and Canon 50 1.4 or Canon 85 1.8 with 580 EX.
    Ryan, thank you and welcome to the Class!
    These are nice pictures, but they are not exactly what was requested. ne_nau.gif
    The assignment was to get LOW, not to get leveled deal.gif . And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you actually try to follow this request...mwink.gif
  • Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ryan, thank you and welcome to the Class!
    These are nice pictures, but they are not exactly what was requested. ne_nau.gif
    The assignment was to get LOW, not to get leveled deal.gif . And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you actually try to follow this request...mwink.gif
    I see... That was about 4 inches from the ground, but can get lower... ;)
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Jag, did you get a "conventional vantage point" picture?

Ok I have added a mock set up view to the original post.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    Ok I have added a mock set up view to the original post.
    Thank you!thumb.gif
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Okay. I'll play along. This is fun too.

In addition to being a paid photographer I run the largest party barge on Lake Travis...yes the same lake that Cedric Benson got busted on a couple weeks ago.
    :D

So I packed my Sigma 8mm in my gear bag today and shot low. It is cropped from the original.

Here it is:

303870077_rTPT5-L.jpg

The set up is basically my D300 flat on the deck in the same position as the soda can using the same rig:

303870089_QcZeM-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Okay. I'll play along. This is fun too.

In addition to being a paid photographer I run the largest party barge on Lake Travis...yes the same lake that Cedric Benson got busted on a couple weeks ago.
    :D

So I packed my Sigma 8mm in my gear bag today and shot low. It is cropped from the original.
    Nice, David, you even got the star! thumb.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Worm's Eye View
    I took a snap of the setup with my phone, but haven't been able to get the image off my phone yet (it's new, i'm confused). Used a Lumix LX2 camera on the ground with a small rock under the lens to prop the camera up at a slight angle.

Also, I can't upload to smugmug from work so I have to do my shots by embeding them in the post. Hope that's OK.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Worm's Eye View Part II
    This is the second one, which i think is more what you were looking for? ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    This is the second one, which i think is more what you were looking for? ne_nau.gif
    Thank you. thumb.gif How about the setup/regular view?
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Hey Nikolai!

I looked and looked for a suitable subject for this assignment. I finally found this one at the Getty Center. I risked life and lens to get it. :D

Groundhog.jpg

And here's the set-up shot. There's one thing different from my actual set-up, though: The camera I used to take the second picture was actually propping up the lens to take the first picture. rolleyes1.gif

Groundhog-set-up.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Hey Nikolai!

I looked and looked for a suitable subject for this assignment. I finally found this one at the Getty Center. I risked life and lens to get it. :D

And here's the set-up shot. There's one thing different from my actual set-up, though: The camera I used to take the second picture was actually propping up the lens to take the first picture. rolleyes1.gif

Good one, Lee! thumb.gif I recognize the spot, I like it :D
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Good one, Lee! thumb.gif I recognize the spot, I like it :D

Yayy! clap.gif I like when I follow directions! :D

What amazes me about this picture, Nikolai, is that that I got the it with no one in it. Not even a reflection!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    What amazes me about this picture, Nikolai, is that that I got the it with no one in it. Not even a reflection!
    Laughing.gif
    So true! rolleyes1.gif