Options

Threads on Capture NX - Is it a robust tool?

LilyJackLilyJack Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi there,

I tried searching on Capture NX and didn't find much (10 posts to be exact) on it. I saw someone mention that there were several threads but perhaps they saw it on a different site? Here's my question:

I'm new to the D300 and basically any post processing procedures. (I moved from a Nikon N50) I borrowed PS 7 briefly from a friend which I've used very sparingly, if at all really but I know what the lasso tool is and the eyedropper but really don't understand how levels and curves and the like work. I've fiddled with them. Anyway, I got Capture NX with the D300. Is it a robust enough of a tool to use as my primary editing tool? I have to learn something through and through and want it to only be one program.

If Capture NX is good, any good tutorials out there or threads in here? Specifically, I'm looking to convert the images to B&W and do so in a way that keeps the tonal ranges. (And just so you know where I'm coming from, I know there's the "Filter/Black and White Conversion" action but I've read for Photoshop that's it good to look at the 3 color channels red, green & blue, and combine some of each. I can't seem to find the same breakdown in NX. )

Please just direct me to another thread if they exist. Thanks to all,
Kate

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Hey Kate,

I always felt that one got the best images from Capture. Its a very robust tool if you can stand the user interface. I preferred Capture to Capture NX but that was my preference, lots of users love NX.

You can get lots of info on it over at the nikon Cafe or the Nikonians websites. Also you might want to check out Jason Odell's web site. Jason is an expert on NX and his e-books on it are outstanding.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Hiya Kate! You & I are in the same boat! I recently upgraded from the D50 to the D300. I have PSCS2 and found that in order to access my RAWs I would need to upgrade to CS3. Since I only use CS2 for basic adjustments and b&w conversions and (yes, I admit) playing with artistic filters, I just wasn't willing to upgrade to CS3. Long story short, I also got a copy of Capture NX with my new camera, but found very little info about it online. The most valuable info I found was the manual on Nikon's NX site. I also downloaded several pdf techguides & techtips, but can't seem to find them anymore. (Wonder if today's release of the new Capture NX2 made them disappear???)
    Avalon wrote:
    Is it a robust enough of a tool to use as my primary editing tool?

I've only just started experimenting with NX, but so far I like it for basic adjustments. I'm considering using it as my primary adjustment software. If I like it enough, I'll upgrade to NX2 (which seems to have enhanced selection tools). If you can't find the techguides or tips yourself and want copies, send me your email via PM & I'd be glad to forward them to you.

So....how are you liking the D300 after the D50? I feel like I'm driving a Lamborghini after driving a Prius. wings.gif

Let's compare notes. Good luck to ya!

Donna
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Capture NX is an excellent editor. For some reason there is not a lot of talk about it on the forums. ne_nau.gif

It excels at developing photos in your digital darkroom. Most say it produces the best image quality possible from Nikon RAW files. It is very easy to get superb results once you know how. And the mechanics of it are simpler, I've found, than photoshop.

Some of the tools (colour control points) are simply powerful.

Others, like the browser, are the pits and suck bad. I now browse my photos with Photo Mechanic and edit in Capture NX through PM.

I, too, strongly recommend The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX by Jason P. Odell. Available as an e-book download with practice RAW files, step by step tutorials, and "philosophy" behind the mechanics, etc. A good read and a tool to which I frequently refer.

What NX is not designed to be is desktop publishing software. If you need to manipulate photos, add in a car, remove closed eyes, play with text, etc, NX is not a complete solution nor does it try to be.
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    LilyJackLilyJack Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Thanks everyone.

I'll certainly check out Jason's e-book that a couple of you mention and the other sites. I'm just looking for a good photo editing tool and not the desktop pub. aspects so I'll keep learning CaptureNX. The UI is a little strange, in the beginning, I didn't realize that Base Adjusments were "hidden" on the right. But I do love the way the control points work - Just really figured those out last week.

Donna - it does sound like we're in similiar boats but I have to tell you. When I wrote "N50," it wasn't a typo. I went from film straight to the D300 so it's a huge jump. I do love the camera, just trying to figure out how I want to set up the custom settings.
    ~K
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Avalon,

I echo the comments from others about NX and the ebook from Jason Odell. I've downloaded the newest version NX2 and it runs must faster. Jason of course has a new book, but I'll hold off until I decide to pay the upgrade fee. A bit steep in my book.

You stated in your last post "just trying to figure out how I want to set up the custom settings." I would recommend you visit two different sources for this information. 1) Nikonias - here is the D300 forum that I've found very helpful. The first sticky post is regarding custom settings. 2) Thom Hogan's website. He has a D300 ebook that is amazing. VERY technical, but it will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the D300. Highly recommended. He also has custom settings in the book as well.

Good luck.

Dale
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Kate,

I always felt that one got the best images from Capture. Its a very robust tool if you can stand the user interface. I preferred Capture to Capture NX but that was my preference, lots of users love NX.

You can get lots of info on it over at the nikon Cafe or the Nikonians websites. Also you might want to check out Jason Odell's web site. Jason is an expert on NX and his e-books on it are outstanding.

15524779-Ti.gif except I used to like Capture then got used to NX1, but
    I really like NX2.

It shows much promise IMHO :D

Heres a link to one of my posts regrading NX2 and my 1st attempts
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=95986

and heres one with skin instead of feathers :D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96288
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Avalon wrote:
    Donna - it does sound like we're in similiar boats but I have to tell you. When I wrote "N50," it wasn't a typo. I went from film straight to the D300 so it's a huge jump.
    ~K

Oy vey, I'm such a doofus. 'Scuse me while I crawls under my dinghy.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Capture NX--What other have said, plus this.
    One other comment. I have CS3, LightRoom, and Capture NX. I normally process my stuff in LightRoom because it offers RAW adjustments for JPG's...but, there are times when I can't quite get a skin tone the way I like it, so I pop it into Capture NX, isolate the problem and use the color control features to fix the problem.

I know that you can do the same in CS3, but not all programs work alike, and when all else fails...try a different darkroom editor. It has worked for me...especially when shooting two women side by side, like at parties, and one of them is wearing a tinted makeup. You will end up with one woman having perfect skin and the other have, like I had, a lavender tint to her skin...not desirable. So, in cases like this I found NX to be a great help.

I would like to add that a Nikon rep told us in class that NX is the only program that retains the full data (in camera processing) that is generated by the Nikon camera...hence the better RAW editor that you hear people talking about. The other editors, (CS3 and LightRoom) for some reason, get rid of it. Probably proprietary.

By the way, if you are shooting Canon, then you can buy Viveza by Nik software. They developed NX and the interface seems to be very similar, if not the same. I saw a demonstration at a seminar...and thought I was watching a demo of Capture NX...until I remembered that it was a Canon seminar. I asked the presenter and he told me about Capture NX.
    Okay, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Hope this helps,

Ed
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed