Options

iso

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited March 31, 2005 in Technique
There's been some discussion recently regarding flash, high ISO's, and fast lenses. I thought I'd show some examples of the tradeoff's.

Why does one need fast lenses when you can just use flash or bump up the ISO? If one is using flash, why shoot at high ISO's?

So...here's the first comparison. Same shutter and aperature, both use flash....one at ISO 100, one at ISO 3200

First the ISO 100 shot:

medium.jpg

Next the shot at ISO 3200:

medium.jpg

Notice the difference in the feel of the image. The first one is darker even though the subject (salt shaker) is well lit. The second image has a much more natural feel to it....and there's more noise.

And now a shot at ISO3200 and f1.8

medium.jpg

I think I over exposed this one a tad. But as you can see...it's lighter still. If the room light were dimmer than it was, this may have been the only one that allowed the natural light look. But there's a cost. Notice how much more blurred the second shaker is.

None of these photos is "right". They are merely different. I present these photos only to illustrate what the options are and the different looks achieved.

While the first photo isn't all that bad considering the subject...when you are in a large room and the lights dim...taking shots of people...with low iso and small aperatures you get photos like this:

10570894-M.jpg

Not a bad photo...but one that doesn't show anything about the setting. This particular photo is ISO3200 but the aperature was f8. Now it was dark outside....but you get shots that look very much like this indoors with small aperatures and low ISO's.

In this following photo shot the same night...I opened up the aperature to f2.2, and the ISO is stil 3200

10570906-M.jpg

Now you get _some_ sense of the setting.

If you have "slow" lenses, you have less options to get the ambient light look to your photos. But shooting wide open with large aperatures give you narrow DOF. Which can be good....or can lead to shots like the following:

medium.jpg

where only one of the subjects is in focus due to the narrow DOF.

IS will help you shoot with smaller aperatures and their correlating slower shutter times and still not mess up the shot with camera shake. Unless your subjects move -- as people tend to do.

Trade off's. No "right" answer...no "right" look.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    I'm still confused headscratch.gif
    Oh well always have been :D
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    I'm still confused headscratch.gif
    Oh well always have been :D
    Just ask....what part is confusing you?

Lee
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    Just ask....what part is confusing you?

Lee
    Well being in the middle of trying to decide about upgrading to new stuff. Always this info helpful as it is (yours as well as other tips and tests here), just somehow leaves me more informed and still confused ne_nau.gif about which way to go. I guess you just pays your money and you takes your chances (however more informed thanks to posts like yours thumb.gif)
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Trying to decide which way to go depends entirely on where it is you want go.

"Hello Mr. Travel Agent, I want to go somewhere!"

"Ok, great, where do you want to go."

"Oh I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter."

"Great, you're there already then, wasn't that fun" :-)

If you need specific recommendations, you need to be specific yourself on what your needs are.
    bfjr wrote:
    Well being in the middle of trying to decide about upgrading to new stuff. Always this info helpful as it is (yours as well as other tips and tests here), just somehow leaves me more informed and still confused ne_nau.gif about which way to go. I guess you just pays your money and you takes your chances (however more informed thanks to posts like yours thumb.gif)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    I like the "where do you want to go" response that someone wrote. It certainly helps to know what you want to achieve. I'll share with you my thinking and my choices as a result.

Goal: weddings, indoor shooting without flash

Result: all my lenses are fast lenses. "Fast" means they support larger aperatures. So my lenses are f2.8 or faster.

Goal: indoor sports

Result: Canon 85mm f1.8 -- even 2.8 often times for indoor sports

Goal: images that don't have motion blur

Result: Well...this one is tricky. Do I get lenses with image stablization? In a perfect world I could afford fast lenses WITH image stabilization. But they are the most expensive lenses. There are some reasonably priced IS lenses, but they are "slow". You can use a monopod or tripod to hold your camera steady -- but you CAN'T get fast shutter speeds in low light with small aperatures. If your subjects move, the ability of IS to let you take a longer exposure while keeping away camera shake....you'll still get a blurred photo.

So I have a monopod and a tripod and fast lenses.

Goal: Best lenses I can afford

Result: I buy top of the line third pary lenses instead of Canon L's. The L's are better, no doubt, but I get the "best bang for my buck" by buying top of the line Sigma and Tamron lenses.

My lens set:

Canon 50mm f1.8 -- it's only $80 and is nice for portraits and low light work

Canon 85mm f1.8 -- My indoor sports and portrait lens.

Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4 -- Very nice wide angle lens. Love it for indoor work, can't wait for spring to take this baby outside.

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 -- Until I got the wide Tamron, this lens was on my camera most of the time. Wonderfully sharp, good focal range.

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 -- Fantastic lens for sports and for weddings where you can shoot from the back of the church, and still get a close up and don't have to use flash. For outdoor sports, the f2.8 allows you to isolate your subject away from the gaggle of ugly parents watching their kids :)

Sigma 2x converter. For those times when I want more reach on my Sigma 70-200. More of a novelty.

Lee
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    Trying to decide which way to go depends entirely on where it is you want go.

"Hello Mr. Travel Agent, I want to go somewhere!"

"Ok, great, where do you want to go."

"Oh I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter."

"Great, you're there already then, wasn't that fun" :-)

If you need specific recommendations, you need to be specific yourself on what your needs are.
    That's cute. eek7.gif
    Perhaps my earlier post was misleading, but to stay with your theme:

"Hello Mr. Travel Agent, I want to go to Shay's house!"
    Just not sure how I want to get there
    Train
    Plane
    Bus
    Limo!! :D
    maybe just drive myself

"Ok, Great here are the $ and schedules, let me know which you like."

Point being, as in all things there are many ways to achieve a goal and I was just saying that "leebase's" post added another variable.
    Thanks for reading
    Ben
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    I like the "where do you want to go" response that someone wrote. It certainly helps to know what you want to achieve. I'll share with you my thinking and my choices as a result.

Goal: weddings, indoor shooting without flash

Result: all my lenses are fast lenses. "Fast" means they support larger aperatures. So my lenses are f2.8 or faster.

Goal: indoor sports

Result: Canon 85mm f1.8 -- even 2.8 often times for indoor sports

Goal: images that don't have motion blur

Result: Well...this one is tricky. Do I get lenses with image stablization? In a perfect world I could afford fast lenses WITH image stabilization. But they are the most expensive lenses. There are some reasonably priced IS lenses, but they are "slow". You can use a monopod or tripod to hold your camera steady -- but you CAN'T get fast shutter speeds in low light with small aperatures. If your subjects move, the ability of IS to let you take a longer exposure while keeping away camera shake....you'll still get a blurred photo.

So I have a monopod and a tripod and fast lenses.

Goal: Best lenses I can afford

Result: I buy top of the line third pary lenses instead of Canon L's. The L's are better, no doubt, but I get the "best bang for my buck" by buying top of the line Sigma and Tamron lenses.

My lens set:

Canon 50mm f1.8 -- it's only $80 and is nice for portraits and low light work

Canon 85mm f1.8 -- My indoor sports and portrait lens.

Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4 -- Very nice wide angle lens. Love it for indoor work, can't wait for spring to take this baby outside.

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 -- Until I got the wide Tamron, this lens was on my camera most of the time. Wonderfully sharp, good focal range.

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 -- Fantastic lens for sports and for weddings where you can shoot from the back of the church, and still get a close up and don't have to use flash. For outdoor sports, the f2.8 allows you to isolate your subject away from the gaggle of ugly parents watching their kids :)

Sigma 2x converter. For those times when I want more reach on my Sigma 70-200. More of a novelty.

Lee
    You do have some nice stuff there thumb.gif