Options

Lightroom 2.0 - Wow

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Finishing School
I don't like the install Adobe betas (lots of history of getting my system messed up by them), but I was curious about Lightroom 2.0 so I watched these three videos that describe many of the new features:

Library Enhancements

Develop Enhancements
Printing and Package Enhancements

Wow. The library has really beefed up collections and filtering and has fixed the UI in a bunch of places. In Develop, the new, non-destructuve localized corrections are mind-blowingly powerful. In the Print module, you now have the ability to print to a JPEG (if your printer is not attached to your computer) and they've added packages so you can do your own multi-image, multi-size layouts.

The non-destructive localized corrections are game changing for the power of Lightroom. This stuff is really cool.

Now, if they would only ship it so I can start using it!
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't like the install Adobe betas (lots of history of getting my system messed up by them), but I was curious about Lightroom 2.0 so I watched these three videos that describe many of the new features:

Library Enhancements

Develop Enhancements
    Printing and Package Enhancements

Wow. The library has really beefed up collections and filtering and has fixed the UI in a bunch of places. In Develop, the new, non-destructuve localized corrections are mind-blowingly powerful. In the Print module, you now have the ability to print to a JPEG (if your printer is not attached to your computer) and they've added packages so you can do your own multi-image, multi-size layouts.

The non-destructive localized corrections are game changing for the power of Lightroom. This stuff is really cool.

I have been using Lightroom since it's first BETA run. A few weeks ago I installed LR2 to try it. I am loving it. Big time!!!

I can't wait either!
  • Options
    HammHamm Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

Uh, no, sorry, I vehemently disagree. This is Adobe, and this is software. Adobe just barely gets production software serviceable. Please, no encouragement of anything but a nice long beta where they fix every stinkin' bug.

(I do software for a living, to support my photo habit. Adobe gets a premium pile of my money for a product that I'd consider only of mediocre quality.)
  • Options
    TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    My demo ran out but I loved the way lightroom 2.0 handles the second monitor. Much better than anything else I have tried (ACDSee Pro 2, free stuff that supports 2 monitors such as faststone, xnview). If you have two monitors make sure you check it out all the different ways LR 2.0 can use the 2nd monitor.

While I agree with Hamm I can't wait for the new version of lightroom. I'd rather have it out with a few warts as I'm sure they will be fixed in 2.1 (or 2.4). I'm a home user with limited funds alotted to my photo habit so I'm holding off on purchasing LR until 2.0 is releasedl; adobe charges a bunch for upgrades and I don't have to buy the same dang thing twice. (if someone wants to send me an invite to the beta that would be swell timebtime at gmail dot com). Until LR 2.0 comes out, I'm working on organizing my photos using IPTC Core XMP compliant software (fastpicture viewer for culling/ratings/LR color labels, Windows Live Gallery of all things for IPTC keywords). Hopefully when LR 2.0 comes out I will be able to "hit the ground running" with a fully rated/keyworded library of picts....
  • Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    TBT wrote:
    My demo ran out but I loved the way lightroom 2.0 handles the second monitor. Much better than anything else I have tried (ACDSee Pro 2, free stuff that supports 2 monitors such as faststone, xnview). If you have two monitors make sure you check it out all the different ways LR 2.0 can use the 2nd monitor.

While I agree with Hamm I can't wait for the new version of lightroom. I'd rather have it out with a few warts as I'm sure they will be fixed in 2.1 (or 2.4). I'm a home user with limited funds alotted to my photo habit so I'm holding off on purchasing LR until 2.0 is releasedl; adobe charges a bunch for upgrades and I don't have to buy the same dang thing twice. (if someone wants to send me an invite to the beta that would be swell timebtime at gmail dot com). Until LR 2.0 comes out, I'm working on organizing my photos using IPTC Core XMP compliant software (fastpicture viewer for culling/ratings/LR color labels, Windows Live Gallery of all things for IPTC keywords). Hopefully when LR 2.0 comes out I will be able to "hit the ground running" with a fully rated/keyworded library of picts....

Would you mind sending me an invitation to Lightroom Beta? My email address is: klynch39 at gmail dot com

Thanks!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    You can download LR2 Beta, here thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    You can download LR2 Beta, here thumb.gif
    In case folks didn't realize, anyone can download the LR beta. If you aren't a previous LR owner, you can only use the beta for 30 days. If you get an invite from a previous owner (each owner is allowed 5 invites), then you can use the beta until LR 2.0 ships (technically until the last LR beta expires whenever that is).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    TBT wrote:
    I'd rather have it out with a few warts as I'm sure they will be fixed in 2.1 (or 2.4).
    Obviously you weren't caught in the original 1.4 mousetrap. Trust me, once a few of those warts start to suck away at your time, you'll be wishing that Adobe had gotten it right before the release.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Obviously you weren't caught in the original 1.4 mousetrap. Trust me, once a few of those warts start to suck away at your time, you'll be wishing that Adobe had gotten it right before the release.

Agreed.. and don't forget the 1.0 to 1.1 conversion snafu. As much as I am excited at what 2.0 has to offer, I am much more cautious having already wasted a ton of time due to issues.

So when it comes out, I will let everyone else go first! thumb.gif