Options

Wedding from Saturday

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited June 12, 2008 in Weddings
While record floods were accumulating all around us (I left my house in the morning amid rushing waters outside...not sure I'd return to a dry home) these two brave souls didn't let the awful weather ruin their big day! This was the most amazing couple to work with...both super laid back artists, crazy about each other, and just ecstatic to host hundreds of their closest artist friends to join in the party. Hope you enjoy these...C&C welcome as always!

309920323_fU7E5-L-3.jpg

309920631_6C2bY-L-2.jpg

309920735_8dGuQ-L-2.jpg

309921060_NdyLt-L-3.jpg

5. Thankfully there were plenty of gorgeous spots to shoot indoors!!!
309921166_f3DfB-L-2.jpg

6. The guys were a blast! (joshhuntNM, does this say "crazy" for you? ;)
309920298_LU6UM-L-3.jpg

7. I don't know why but I really like this one..
309921273_VzF9J-L-2.jpg

8. And the girls had their fun too...we found an indoor skylight so we didn't have to drag the silk gown outdoors in the mud...the mother of the bride would have had my head! :D
309922635_6uWyF-L-2.jpg

309921402_vsqK7-L-2.jpg

10. It was an amazingly gorgeous yet modern church.
309922002_FCwdY-L-3.jpg

11. Should I clone out the petal over his mouth or is that part of the "moment!"? I can't decide.
309922253_tq3i2-L-2.jpg

12. This was my first couple to have people "toss" anything, so I was thrilled to get this one! (will clone out light pole).
309922307_rQdf9-L-2.jpg

and lucky 13:
309922337_drAMU-L-2.jpg

Thanks for looking! It was so much fun to be shooting again!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Oooooh, those are wonderful!!!

#4 Beautiful shot, I would just take the little box (on the wall) away

I LOVE #5 (with the window!!!) Gorgeous! I which some of "my" churches would have accessible windows like this...

#6 is very cool clap.gif Love it, I also love your color settings for that one! Perfect!

#7 thumb.gif

#10 - Hm, I would try straightening it a bit up in PS

#13 GREAT shot!!! I always mess that one up somehow, but I never thought of telling them to sit on that side of the limo ...
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Lynne, really great work (as usual!!!) all the way through!

#4-5 Just beautiful!
    #6 Cool shot and I like the processing
    #7 I really like this one! I think it's the processing and the aviator shades work really well! :D
    #8 The reflectiveness of the floor momentarily gave me the impression this was shot outdoors on the wet ground.....so it works really well with the weather for the day!
    #11 Great expression on the bride and I wouldn't be concerned about the flower in his face.
    #13 You always get the bet limo shots and this is no exception.

Must have been unnerving to leave your house in all that flooding (who needs that when you're going to shoot a wedding?). I hope your home has not been effected by the floods. Great shooting and good to see your work! thumb.gif
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Just for the group, I like how everyone was an individual but the lighting and choice of poses/grouping made it all come together, namely the bridesmaids and bride jumping. I, too, love stained glass. It helped me suck a lot less at my first wedding shoot. I like the flower on his mouth. It really makes you smile for the picture, it cute. Keep it in!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Welcome back to our world Lynne!!

...and thanks for sharing your always inspiring images...mwink.gif

1- This was a great capture...and you were smart to "see" it. You may want to straighten the edge of the brick adjacent to the open door, and crop the edge of brick on the right hand side of the frame. After that, maybe you could play around with a crop from the left that lends this closer the the rule of thirds? As artists, they should appreciate this one.

2- This is my favorite of the set. There is a lot...technically...that could be argued as wrong, but the artististic pj nature of it overcomes any of those arguments. Beautiful mood.

3- Its tack sharp....nice eyes!!!...and she is framed nicely by the OOF background elements.

4- This one also had a nice mood to it. You may want to straighten it, as the tilt doesn't appear purposeful.

5- This one pops. Nice!!!...and a moment well captured.

6- Not sure how you pulled the exposure off here, but you did.thumb.gif
    I like the antics. This works better for me in a square crop...from the bottom. The sky is nice, but there just seems to be an awful lot of it?

7-I like it too. The blacks appear very very heavy on my monitor....but I still like it.

8-I like this one too....everything about it. It makes me wonder what it would have looked like with a wider angle lens.....all distorted? ...or maybe even the same lens but aimed more towards the brides feet to exaggerate the distortion that is present?

9- Another excellent pj styled capture. The processing works very well with this one.

10-Nice!!!!thumb.gif

11- This is awesome too...I wish that singular petal weren't in his face...I wonder if anything can be done about that now?

12- My least favorite of the set....but one of them had to bene_nau.gif

13- I don't have to tell you how sweet this shot is do I?

Well, don't take my nitpicking to heart!!!...as it really is just that...nitpicking on some truely amazing camera work. As usual your edgy processing does the entire set justice. Thanks for sharing Lynne...:D
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    So, this is the famous urbanaries, heard your name a lot in this forum, and apparently those gorgeous shots really live up to that fame.

I love your style in those shots, especially, hmm, as a matter of fact, all of them. I really cant find the least favorites actually. But #2,#7, and #13 is really have that special feeling when you look at it.

Thanks for sharing those gorgeous shots, if one day I can have the opportunity to shoot a wedding, your photos will definetely will be my inspiration.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Lynne,

These are amazing - no surprise there!

Breaking away from my usual habit of commenting on each photo, I think I'll just say that:
    • Love #1 and the fact that you saw the photo! Wow
    • #4 is my favorite. Either straighten or tilt it a bit more and remove the the fire alarm box (if that's what it is).
    • 2 & 9 are paired as runners-up! Love the PJ style of each and they really are so different from each other. Stunning work.
    • Finally, 13 - how cool/sweet/romantic is that?
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Hey Lynne! So great to see some of your wonderful work! clap.gif
    My faves are 1, 4, 7, 10, 13. In addition...that background in 5 is amazing, the colors/processing in 6 are fantastic, the B&Ws are terrific! Love the set!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    These are amazing! #6 blew me away! Incredible composition and exposure! Well done!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Wow Lynn!! Loved them all, 7, 9, 11 are my fav!!!!wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    4, 8, 10 and 13 are my faves. I love the post processing work you did :)

I always love seeing your photos, especially even more so now that my two main lenses are also the same lenses you own... so inspiration!
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Lynn,
    These are fabulous. I like the diversity of your shoots and PP. Not a traditional set at all. Just love them. Well done. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Lovely shots! My picks are 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, & 8.
    6 is my favorite.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Lynn strikes again :D Great photography

Just for info is this how normal marriage in USA looks like ? what is over all expenditure for this type of marriage. They seems quite well planned
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Lynn strikes again :D Great photography

Just for info is this how normal marriage in USA looks like ? what is over all expenditure for this type of marriage. They seems quite well planned
    Many (most?) USA weddings have all the elements seen here. The limo (#13) is a option that many younger couples can't afford. The rest is pretty much standard stuff. And, yes, weddings here are planned out to the last detail - though how well that plan actually gets executed is a completely different question :D
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Lynne...all are just great. Love to see your wedding photography.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I like them all, though I would say #2 is my favorite it conveys the story of the moment best,
    On a side note the groom needs to lose the soul-patch it's very Ty Pennington two years ago-ish
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oooooh, those are wonderful!!!

#4 Beautiful shot, I would just take the little box (on the wall) away

I LOVE #5 (with the window!!!) Gorgeous! I which some of "my" churches would have accessible windows like this...

#6 is very cool clap.gif Love it, I also love your color settings for that one! Perfect!

#7 thumb.gif

#10 - Hm, I would try straightening it a bit up in PS

#13 GREAT shot!!! I always mess that one up somehow, but I never thought of telling them to sit on that side of the limo ...

Thanks Agniezka! I was definitely lucky this church was so photogenic considering the horrible outdoor conditions! I will definitely PS out a few things like the box on the door, and agree #10 needs some straightening, thanks for pointing that out! And the limo shot was an accident that they ended up on that side but definitely worth noting next time! Thanks for your feedback!
    saurora wrote:
    -Lynne, really great work (as usual!!!) all the way through!

#4-5 Just beautiful!
    #6 Cool shot and I like the processing
    #7 I really like this one! I think it's the processing and the aviator shades work really well! :D
    #8 The reflectiveness of the floor momentarily gave me the impression this was shot outdoors on the wet ground.....so it works really well with the weather for the day!
    #11 Great expression on the bride and I wouldn't be concerned about the flower in his face.
    #13 You always get the bet limo shots and this is no exception.

Must have been unnerving to leave your house in all that flooding (who needs that when you're going to shoot a wedding?). I hope your home has not been effected by the floods. Great shooting and good to see your work! thumb.gif
    It was a little scary, but no one was going to be home all day so I just put my valuables in a dry place and hoped for the best. luckily everything was ok. :) thanks for all your comments, Susan! I'm glad you're liking the processing, its definitely edgy as far as wedding photography goes. I appreciate the feedback on #11. But I think Andi still gets the best limo shots mwink.gif
    Just for the group, I like how everyone was an individual but the lighting and choice of poses/grouping made it all come together, namely the bridesmaids and bride jumping. I, too, love stained glass. It helped me suck a lot less at my first wedding shoot. I like the flower on his mouth. It really makes you smile for the picture, it cute. Keep it in!
    Thanks for the feedback! Informal groupings have been my weakness for a while, especially bridesmaids for some reason. So i'm really happy to hear they resonated with you. Thanks so much for commenting on my set! And yeah, I loved that stained glass installment, it was so much more contemporary than your traditional pastoral scene. I was happy for the rain as an excuse to play it up! Thanks again!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Welcome back to our world Lynne!!

...and thanks for sharing your always inspiring images...mwink.gif
    thanks for welcoming me back since I've been such a putz :hide
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    1- This was a great capture...and you were smart to "see" it. You may want to straighten the edge of the brick adjacent to the open door, and crop the edge of brick on the right hand side of the frame. After that, maybe you could play around with a crop from the left that lends this closer the the rule of thirds? As artists, they should appreciate this one.
    I definitely agree this needs some cropping, I appreciate your appreciation on this one!!! I was *really* hoping to get some PJ shots of people running in from their cars in the downpour but so many folks were stressed/p*ssed, I didn't think it was a smart way to introduce my presence. This image is a little more subtle nod to the conditions, heh.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    2- This is my favorite of the set. There is a lot...technically...that could be argued as wrong, but the artistic pj nature of it overcomes any of those arguments. Beautiful mood.
    Now that I look at it closely, there is a lot wrong with it, so much so I'm shocked you like it so much! I appreciate the feedback, as I'm liking it more as I look at it, too!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    3- Its tack sharp....nice eyes!!!...and she is framed nicely by the OOF background elements.
    Thanks! this was 200mm at f2.8, so I think it was luck it's so sharp. I'm bugged by the OOF stained glass (the same from #5) bisecting her head, though. Oh and I'm disappointed in you that you didn't tell me to shoot this one from ABOVE! I made a major goof on that. Major!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    4- This one also had a nice mood to it. You may want to straighten it, as the tilt doesn't appear purposeful.
    Definitely not a finished image! whoops!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    5- This one pops. Nice!!!...and a moment well captured.
    I've been looking forward to that shot since I scoped out the venue a few months back. I wish I had underexposed the BG a bit more and upped the FEC. It was a bit tricky as this is in a dark hallway but the glass is installed on a wall and backlit, then flourescents above creating racoon eyes. So I'm happy with how it turned out, just know how to do it better next time!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    6- Not sure how you pulled the exposure off here, but you did.thumb.gif
    I like the antics. This works better for me in a square crop...from the bottom. The sky is nice, but there just seems to be an awful lot of it?
    hmmmm.... me tricky tricky:lynnsitemwink.gif......

re: composition - there's a few horizontal versions in this series but I guess liked the use of 3rds in this one...plus its an uncropped 2x3 ratio. In the album if they pick it will probably be a square crop, good suggestion!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    7-I like it too. The blacks appear very very heavy on my monitor....but I still like it.
    Yeah, I edited this set on a very bright monitor at the reception while I was eating! Definitely going back and reworking some....they look plugged to me now, too (as well as #2)
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    8-I like this one too....everything about it. It makes me wonder what it would have looked like with a wider angle lens.....all distorted? ...or maybe even the same lens but aimed more towards the brides feet to exaggerate the distortion that is present?
    I agree something's missing. I clearly had some distortion issues with all the indoor lines in this wedding. I am not sure why, probably rustiness in my shooting technique! I was just happy it's sharp and they're all off the ground in the same frame!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    9- Another excellent pj styled capture. The processing works very well with this one.
    Thanks! One of the very few shots with the 85mm 1.8 that day.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    11- This is awesome too...I wish that singular petal weren't in his face...I wonder if anything can be done about that now?
    I have a few from this series with unflattering expressions of her, but I bet I can swap his face out if I tried.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    12- My least favorite of the set....but one of them had to bene_nau.gif
    Hey, i'll take that as a HUGE compliment!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    13- I don't have to tell you how sweet this shot is do I?
    ehhhhh....it's ok i guess!!! :D
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well, don't take my nitpicking to heart!!!...as it really is just that...nitpicking on some truely amazing camera work. As usual your edgy processing does the entire set justice. Thanks for sharing Lynne...:D
    I would be mad at you if you didn't pick at the flaws!!! I think you're giving me too much credit, but I am glad the set still warrants merit for you, and that you took the time to crit each one! you rock! :grin
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    These are wonderful photos - all of them - but #6 (WOW) my favorite, then #13 and #1. Great job and very inspiring!
    LadyTX
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Very cool Lynne! #5, 7 & 13 are my faves. The yellow bride doesn't do it for me but, hey, that's just me. Many couples today (probably as a result of photographers stretching out) kind of expect outrageous coloring and different comps. It's always fun seeing your work as it makes me try newer stuff. I'm still a softy for elegant, beautiful phots but these are truly cool. The first one..well...ok, let's call it art...Laughing.gif:D

Nice to see you back.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552