Options

Arizona shooters ?

topher04r1topher04r1 Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
are there any arizona sports shooters here in addition to myself ??

I'd really like to network a bit more than i have been ......and if your "good" there actually could be some $$ in it for you lol ... :deal

Comments

• Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    topher04r1 wrote:

I'd really like to network a bit more than i have been ......

oh man... if I could afford the glass, I would be in a heartbeat....

sadly though I am not a sports photog.... yet

but I am in AZ...

Glendale/Peoria

Steven :)
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    No worries man ....I totally understand... i've got more money invested in my 300 2.8 than a lot of people have in there car's .....

I took a look at the link you have under your signature.... there is some good stuff posted there man !! Let me know when you are looking to shoot some sports let me know. I'm allways going back and forth between phx and TUC for sports gigs !

LiquidOps wrote:
    oh man... if I could afford the glass, I would be in a heartbeat....

sadly though I am not a sports photog.... yet

but I am in AZ...

Glendale/Peoria

Steven :)
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    topher04r1 wrote:

I'd really like to network a bit more than i have been ......

I would be interested in talking with you. Have done a little sports photography but not a lot.

I am in the town of Maricopa between Chandler and Casa Grande.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I would be interested in talking with you. Have done a little sports photography but not a lot.

I am in the town of Maricopa between Chandler and Casa Grande.

PM sent
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2007
    Anybody else from AZ ??

Sports shooters .... come on ... i know you are out there !deal.gif
  • Options
    Insprir8tionInsprir8tion Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2008
    Are you still around?
    I just stumbled across your post. It looks pretty old, but maybe you're still around....
    I shoot gymnastics in the phoenix metro area. Here's a link to my last meet: http://flashbacktheatre.com/jalbum/Make%20A%20Wish/index.html .
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    I just stumbled across your post. It looks pretty old, but maybe you're still around....
    I shoot gymnastics in the phoenix metro area. Here's a link to my last meet: http://flashbacktheatre.com/jalbum/Make%20A%20Wish/index.html .

yeah ... i'm still arround ..... hmm... gymnastics looks like it would be hard ..... what body are you shooting with ?
  • Options
    desertskydesertsky Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 29, 2008
    topher04r1 wrote:

I'd really like to network a bit more than i have been ......and if your "good" there actually could be some $$ in it for you lol ... deal.gif

I'm in the Ahwatukee area. I've been shooting pro sporting events as a hobby whenever I can (baseball, football, basketball, hockey). As well as concerts, landscapes, travel photos. You can see quite a few of my sports shots at http://desertsky.smugmug.com/Sports/15247

I'd like to start earning $ selling photos so I can start upgrading to faster lens. Last week I upgraded my Smugmug account to Pro so I can start setting prices. Now just need to start upgrading my equipment. My zoom lens is a Canon 75-300 USM IS f4.0-5.6 that I bought a few years ago for my 300D. It's been a decent lens for sports, but I know I can do much better with a faster lens. Last November I upgraded my body to a 40D. Much nicer than the 300D I was used to! I'm leaning towards getting a Canon 300mm f4.0L once I get my tax refunds from fed and AZ. That should be good enough for shooting outdoor sporting events. Later down the road if I can start earning $$ selling photos, upgrade to a 2.8L. I also just got a Canon HG10 high-definition camcorder for Christmas, so I've started shooting high-def video. My more recent baseball galleries of Cubs and Angels workouts here on Smugmug have high-def videos. They look much better than the videos you see on YouTube, but still the web doesn't do them justice as they're lower resolution than the raw 1440x1080i HD footage and much lower bitrate. On my high-def tv, the raw video looks spectacular. I have the capability of burning high-definition video to single and dual layer DVD's (playable on PC's and PS3) and BluRay. So selling high-definition videos might be another option for earning some money.

My work office is only a block from Tempe Diablo Stadium, so I expect to be shooting a lot of photos/video of Angels games over the next month. Perhaps someday I'll be able to take photos down by the field with the other pro shooters. Until then I'll have to make the best of it from the stands.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    hey man ... good to met you and good to know that there are more az shooters out there .... :D Congrats on the new camera ... I think you are going to like it a LOT .... the idea of upgrading is a good idea and i think the 300 (4) will serve you well .... i'd also considder the 70-200 f4 as thats a fantastic lens as well ...

looking forward to seeing some of your stuff !
  • Options
    desertskydesertsky Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2008
    topher04r1 wrote:
    hey man ... good to met you and good to know that there are more az shooters out there .... :D Congrats on the new camera ... I think you are going to like it a LOT .... the idea of upgrading is a good idea and i think the 300 (4) will serve you well .... i'd also considder the 70-200 f4 as thats a fantastic lens as well ...

looking forward to seeing some of your stuff !

I just bought last night a used 300mm F4L from a local photographer who had put it up for sale on Craigslist. Got a pretty good deal on it. I'm looking forward to taking my new glass to the Angels spring training game tomorrow.
    I've already upoaded photos and video from the last two Angels games in Tempe to my smugmug gallery at http://desertsky.smugmug.com/Sports/15247
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Not sports, but I live in Tucson and I play golf.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Not sports, but I live in Tucson and I play golf.wings.gif

lol cool ... nice to meet ya dan
  • Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I live in Maricopa. I'm fairly new to the DSLR thing. No sports yet, but someday. :)
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    I live in Maricopa. I'm fairly new to the DSLR thing. No sports yet, but someday. :)

welcome to the world of dslr's .... remember to hide your checkbook ...espically if you plan to shoot sports :D