Options

Custom Banner No Workie

nikonmikenikonmike Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Good evening. I searched this forum trying to find a solution, to no avail.

Simply, my custom banner will not display. I copied/pasted the following into the CSS box as instructed in the tutorial:

#my_banner {
width: 750px;
height: 180px;
margin: 0 auto;
background: url(http://nikonmike.smugmug.com/photos/312025455_HgbK4-M.gif) no-repeat;
}

When I click the Update button, it says that it's been updated, but the banner does not display on my homepage nor any of the galleries. (I'm sure the URL is good, because if I copy/paste it into another tab the banner displays.) Safari browser.

Can someone please help?

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    nikonmike wrote:
    Good evening. I searched this forum trying to find a solution, to no avail.

Simply, my custom banner will not display. I copied/pasted the following into the CSS box as instructed in the tutorial:

#my_banner {
    background: url(http://nikonmike.smugmug.com/photos/312025455_HgbK4-M.gif) no-repeat;
    }

When I click the Update button, it says that it's been updated, but the banner does not display on my homepage nor any of the galleries. (I'm sure the URL is good, because if I copy/paste it into another tab the banner displays.) Safari browser.

Can someone please help?

Did you put some customization into your header too? I presume you are following some directions somewhere and they should include a step where you insert something that includes an appropriately named DIV:

<div id="my_banner"></div>
    </pre>(with perhaps some other HTML) in your header. Without that, you have nothing in your page for the CSS styling to apply to. I think you missed that step.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Did you put some customization into your header too? I presume you are following some directions somewhere and they should include a step where you insert something that includes an appropriately named DIV:

<div id="my_banner"></div>
    </pre>(with perhaps some other HTML) in your header. Without that, you have nothing in your page for the CSS styling to apply to. I think you missed that step.
    Thank you for your reply, jfriend.

I originally placed some text as a header, but I removed it when I pasted the code into the CSS box. I used the syntax from the customization tutorial. I was totally unaware that html is required....can you point me in the right direction so I can find out what I need to do?

I'm absolutely html, CSS, and web stoopid....I'm relying on the tutorial because I don't understand any of it.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    John had it nailed, a missing division in the header section.

Add to your header section:
    <*div id="my_banner"> <*/div>

remove the *'s prior to pasting

Adjust your image to url to the large if you want to use a 750x180 image
    #my_banner {
    background: url(http://nikonmike.smugmug.com/photos/312025455_HgbK4-L.gif) no-repeat;
    }

• Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    OK, I've got it now....thank you jfriend and richW for your help!!clap.gifwings.gif