Options

Motorcycle Racing Question

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited June 13, 2008 in Sports
My son-in-law is taking me to the motorcycle track for a race. I have a Sony A200 and my line-up of lenses is listed in my signature. I would like to get some nice pictures of these racers. My son-in-law says I can get down by the track for pictures. With my camera and lens do I have a set-up that will work? What do you use? Any other advice for me?

Thanks,
LadyTX

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I like a 70/300 for the tracks near here. Your 80/200 will have to do. The 80 for the paddock shots.
    Rags
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    My son-in-law is taking me to the motorcycle track for a race. I have a Sony A200 and my line-up of lenses is listed in my signature. I would like to get some nice pictures of these racers. My son-in-law says I can get down by the track for pictures. With my camera and lens do I have a set-up that will work? What do you use? Any other advice for me?

Thanks,

What kind of motorcycle race? Road race, motocross, flat track?

What time of day?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    The longer and faster the glass, the better. Pros will use 300/2.8's, 400/2.8's, even 500/4's. So use your longest lens.

As far as other advice goes, don't get too close to the track. Seriously. Don't put yourself in too much danger. Standing with the corner workers, or behind a wall/fence, would be wise. Other advice is to use shutter-priority. A shutter speed of 1/500 or 1/640 would be the fastest I would go. Try some panning shots at 1/200 and lower. All other advice is the same as for any other type of photography -- watch your direction and quality of lighting, don't shoot shadow-side or into the sun, be careful of backgrounds, composition, etc. etc. etc.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu