Options

Book Recommendations for Photoshop CS3

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited June 13, 2008 in Finishing School
:scratch

After getting new Laptop my bro has offered me to get a book, Infect i made him to offer me a gift. But what book:scratch

I am thinking to learn photoshop as i can practically do what is been told in tutorial. But when i read books purly about photogaphy it feels like i am in a fantasy world. Because they talk too much about lenses flashes etc which i don't have so no plans to waste time

So any good book full of images and cool tutorials in your mind ?
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    i havent read but a few books on photoshop, i found this one very good :
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2292904

disclaimer:D , i dont fully like the end results the author published as pertained with portraits, but i must say the other sections and technques are really cool and can lead you to things in photoshop i believe very useful...
    and since i know you take shots of flowers often,,, there is a great section within this book that i think you would use and apply....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Awais,

Photoshop is a very powerful program with lots of different ways to edit images. Most of us have spent several years getting up to speed with it and we continue to learn new stuff every year and every new addition as well.

Scott Kelby's "Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers" is an excellent how to do it book. It does not talk about theory, just what you need to do to improve your images quickly and effectively. Written in Kelby's unique 'tongue in cheek' rather cheeky manner.

Katrin Eismann and Sean Duggan's "The Creative Digital Darkroom" is one of the best books curently available to really educate oneself with the opportunites that CS3 offers. I like this book a lot! If you know this book you will be head and shoulders above most CS3 users.

Matt Koslowski's "Layers" is a good book to understand also as Layers are really much of the basis of Photoshop CS3's power. Scott Kelby has a book called "Channels" that are very god also.

I would start with Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers and then The Creative Digital Darkroom after you fully understand the first book

Once you are comfortable with these, Dan Margulis's "Professional Photoshop", and his "LAB" book offer even more options and interesting techniques.

scottkelbeytraining.com offers online videos that are a great help also. This is a commercial service so it is not free, but the quality is pretty good.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    Ahan thanks a lot for input i will check them out what about this one
    by Martin Eveningheadscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Evening's book is very comprehensive, but not as intuitive or as easy to read for myself. I own it, but rarely consult itne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Ahan thanks a lot for input i will check them out what about this one
    by Martin Eveningheadscratch.gif

Martin's book is tops. It does have a photographic slant (which may or may not be something you like).

Real World Photoshop is also superb.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Ahan thank you both clap.gif
    Much appreciated :D

My Gallery