Options

My youngest sister...married...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited June 14, 2008 in Weddings
:D My baby sis is now married and off on her honeymoon.
308902111_boNJb-L.jpg

2. Shooting my sister's wedding was a bit of a different experience because I am part of the story on this one. Usually I try to avoid making any kind of photo with me or other tech people in it, but in this case because I am sister of the bride / photographer I get to be a part of some of the photos.
308956769_FdHsE-L.jpg
3. She was married at my mom and dad's house. What a view. Although the sky was quite overcast and nasty it was still lovely...
308949142_s8BHK-L.jpg
4. She really was a lovely bride. She had tons of friends around helping her look her best.
308954986_gspqY-L.jpg
5. She really was the most beautiful bride.

308961534_pwdbn-M.jpg
About that point in the shoot I noticed that I had a black spot showing up on all my photos! I tried everything- changing lenses and checking this and that. But, it turned out to be a speck on my sensor and I was sure glad I had a backup rig. That would have stunk cloning out the evil black speck from more photos than I actually had to.
I sent my 5d to my local camera service center and it is now fixed. :whew

6. I'll skip the wedding and get to the fun shots afterwards.
308966046_jvfJi-S.jpg

7: I went back and forth about cloning out the stage- it was where they said the vows, so it could go or stay in my book.
308913993_w9329-L.jpg
308844478_xWHvv-XL-2.jpg

9. The dip....
308916594_W2CcF-L.jpg
10. At the reception:
308934442_bCkH6-L.jpg

11: The flower toss
308924789_q9dZE-L.jpg

12: This isn't the greatest picture, but I like it because of all the energy...
308846408_YKdb2-S-2.jpg

13:
308939449_2Rs4o-L.jpg

14:
308936151_5LS5e-L.jpg

15:
308944082_2hLKy-L.jpg

16: The crossprocess
308850329_so8zR-L-2.jpg

17:
308977881_3TSQA-XL.jpg

18: On the dock. Note the float plane. :D

308874245_frxo3-L-2.jpg

19: The flower girls. Every other one from the left are my beautiful daughters. (the rest are my nieces)
308889305_K3z8A-XL.jpg

20. Zany flower girl shoe detail. Yes Gracie has white tights, and everyone else has cream. When we opened her package the cream tights had a big hole in them! It worked, though! I love the "Chuckey's" with the frilly beyond frilly dresses. The Juxtoposition works somehow!
308905480_6VcGU-XL.jpg

21: All the kids had been waiting and waiting to be able to go out on the dock. I finally said they could and let them splish splash in the water.
308900258_4BH5L-M.jpg

22:
308897454_qhqWr-L.jpg
23: The getaway car
308880735_5VjN2-XL.jpg

All in all I really enjoyed shooting my sisters wedding, but it was a bit of a pain to be constantly taking pictures of something you want to join in!

C & C welcome!

Thanks for looking and even more thanks for those of you who feel up to spending the time to type out a comment!

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    1,2,14,and 20 would be my picks of the litter. They are all really very well done, however, so choosing a fave is tough. I would have been surprised that a speck on the sensor would show itself at wedding apertures. Glad you were well prepared there!!!

My only negative would have to be that the desaturated/retro look just doesn't do her stunning red hair justice. The full color ones show her to be a stunning bride.....oh...and I really love that shoe shot!!!!

PS ...My new dishwasher is purrin away as I type this!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Very, very good. She will cherish these for years. What a great setting as well. Looks like you had a great time. Congrats on a great set of photos.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Hey, interesting coincidence, I was good friends with your sister in high school, we graduated together a year before the rest of our class. Guess I'll have to go congratulate her on facebook. :D Thanks for sharing the pics!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    1,2,14,and 20 would be my picks of the litter. They are all really very well done, however, so choosing a fave is tough. I would have been surprised that a speck on the sensor would show itself at wedding apertures. Glad you were well prepared there!!!

My only negative would have to be that the desaturated/retro look just doesn't do her stunning red hair justice. The full color ones show her to be a stunning bride.....oh...and I really love that shoe shot!!!!

PS ...My new dishwasher is purrin away as I type this!rolleyes1.gif
    Congrats on the dishwasher!rolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, that spec was a pain. Here is an idea of what it was doing to me... 309073201_Y3pxZ-M.jpg(besides making me scream and worry..) It was the worst when it ended up in the middle of someone's face. The Camera guy said it had some kind of adhesive on it! Which is amazing since I just got my 5D new from b&h in the middle of May and I immediately put the lense on and never took it off until the speck showed up.

Thanks for the super nice comments, Jeff.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Very, very good. She will cherish these for years. What a great setting as well. Looks like you had a great time. Congrats on a great set of photos.

Wowsers Shach.... Thanks for the really nice comments!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    Hey, interesting coincidence, I was good friends with your sister in high school, we graduated together a year before the rest of our class. Guess I'll have to go congratulate her on facebook. :D Thanks for sharing the pics!

Yay for small communities! Hard to believe she is married, since in my mind she is still 5 years old. mwink.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Wow, these are all fantastic!! Very nice light, Bride look gorgeous and scenery to boot!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    These are lovely, great job. Looking at them will always be a family thing now!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Wow, these are all fantastic!! Very nice light, Bride look gorgeous and scenery to boot!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks ShepsMom! She is pretty darn cute!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    These are lovely, great job. Looking at them will always be a family thing now!

Thanks Shima! I appreciate your comment!
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Heather...do you do lots of weddings? If not you need to start...these are beautiful!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Some.... So far my average is about 6 per year. I have 3 in June. Which makes me groan when I think about the hours of processing.

Thanks for the praise! I love to do weddings, and am hoping things will ramp up more soon. Alaska Bride and Groom Magazine is going to feature my photographs from a wedding I did last August in their end of June issue. I have heard that the Magazine is the best place to advertise and most of the photographers in this area get a lot of their work from them. The June issue is the first one that I have had anything but a resource listing, so that is exciting with possiblities! (I did get weddings from just that resource listing, though)
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    really nice. Too bad you didn't have a pretty background in #7 ;-)
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    That's a gorgeous set of photos!!! I am sure she absolutely loves them!!! iloveyou.gif I couldn't choose a favorite .... they're all really cool. Love the shoe shot, haha!! clap.gif
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    You did a wonderful job Heather. Your sister should be very happy with them. I love the scenery! Good Job!
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Wow! Beautiful bride, beautiful dress, beautiful scenery eek7.gif and those tennies!!!!! You did a great job Heather. I love the shot by the woodpile, and of course, the shoe shot! The overcast weather may have not been too enjoyable, but made for great lighting and no harsh shadows!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    really nice. Too bad you didn't have a pretty background in #7 ;-)
    I suffer dont I! And that wasn't even the best view of that spot. It was literally a circle of mountains around us. The rest (Including Pioneer Peak) were just clouded over, darnit. Thanks for the comment!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    That's a gorgeous set of photos!!! I am sure she absolutely loves them!!! iloveyou.gif I couldn't choose a favorite .... they're all really cool. Love the shoe shot, haha!! clap.gif
    Thanks Agnieszka!
    I don't think she has seen them yet- she is still off on her honeymoon. They were going to go on a wale watching cruise... Fun fun!

I had that shoe shot planned waaaay before the wedding- actually since the day I bought all the chuckeys!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    unclejon wrote:
    You did a wonderful job Heather. Your sister should be very happy with them. I love the scenery! Good Job!

Thanks for the comment! I really do appreciate it!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Wow! Beautiful bride, beautiful dress, beautiful scenery eek7.gif and those tennies!!!!! You did a great job Heather. I love the shot by the woodpile, and of course, the shoe shot! The overcast weather may have not been too enjoyable, but made for great lighting and no harsh shadows!!! thumb.gif

Yep, I had been worried about those shadows- It had been sooo sunny that whole week and then we ended up getting the little bit of "scattered showers" for the wedding day. It was a relief! But, I would have loved some blue in the clouds. We never are happy are we!?!

Thanks for the comment Saurora! It means a lot! clap.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    These are just beautiful and enjoyable to look at. I love your sister's hair, definitely agree with Jeff that I'd love to see more of the red! But you chose wonderful, wonderful poses and backdrops for them. I think your composition on 14 is the greatest I've seen of the traditional "rings" shot! I will definitely keep that one in mind! Your getting ready shots are simply gorgeous. It is harder than it looks to make these stand out and you did a really, really nice job. The light on #1.....it's superb...what is that!? Also love the one with you in the mirror and of her eyeshadow app.

I love it when weddings are funky and fun enough to warrant awesome shots like #20. Good for you for not wasting that opportunity.

Beautiful set and I wish you the best of luck in booking more weddings!!!!! You're amazingly talented!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Nice job Heather!

A great set of wedding photos and you captured the memorable moments beautifully! Your sister looked beautiful and you captured her wonderfully in #5.

My best wishes to the bride and groom.

Thanks for sharing...

Lee
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    These are just beautiful and enjoyable to look at. I love your sister's hair, definitely agree with Jeff that I'd love to see more of the red! But you chose wonderful, wonderful poses and backdrops for them. I think your composition on 14 is the greatest I've seen of the traditional "rings" shot! I will definitely keep that one in mind! Your getting ready shots are simply gorgeous. It is harder than it looks to make these stand out and you did a really, really nice job. The light on #1.....it's superb...what is that!? Also love the one with you in the mirror and of her eyeshadow app.

I love it when weddings are funky and fun enough to warrant awesome shots like #20. Good for you for not wasting that opportunity.

Beautiful set and I wish you the best of luck in booking more weddings!!!!! You're amazingly talented!

Lynn- first of all thanks for the comments! It really means a lot, as I love your work! (SO MUCH!) The lighting on #1 is just window light from camera right and then the bbc on the external flash. I am thinking on getting a whale tail or fong or something, but for now the bbc is really in my budget, lol!

I love her hair and have plenty more with her vibrant red showing, but these are just the few that I shared with you all! If you wanna see more, just holler!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Nice job Heather!

A great set of wedding photos and you captured the memorable moments beautifully! Your sister looked beautiful and you captured her wonderfully in #5.

My best wishes to the bride and groom.

Thanks for sharing...

Lee

Thanks for the nice comments!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Great Photos!

I liked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 18 the best Laughing.gif.
    I like most of the shots.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    #20 is the cutest thing i've seen in a while but i'm a bit bias to high top chucks. well done