Options

hOW DO I MAKE A BORDER IN PHOTOSHOP

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited June 15, 2008 in Finishing School
I need to make borders that I can use to even out a photo(s). I thought this was done simply by going into image and canvas or something similar and you would get a display box and you could choose top add dimension and poof there was a border ontop of your photo and you could do this for all sides and if wanted add drop shadows and such for separation.......

I am begining to think dementia is setting in or i am starting to come out of a very lucid but fantasy coma.....as I cannot find it in either PS7 or PSCS nor in the help guides on line for either........:dunno

example.....I have a photo that scanned in at a very odd size overall.....8 x 7.2"......so I want to add 2" to the 8 and .8" to the 7.2 .....the original size has been giveing the printers a fit and also being able to do this will make it so I can digitally matt my photos and have a great place to sign them.......

TIA
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Certainly not being a smart arse here mate but i google pretty well everything.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=photoshop+border+action&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=how+to+make+a+photoshop+border&btnG=Search&meta=

I always take the easy road first & look for an action or plug-in.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Certainly not being a smart arse here mate but i google pretty well everything.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=photoshop+border+action&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=how+to+make+a+photoshop+border&btnG=Search&meta=

I always take the easy road first & look for an action or plug-in.

Thank You ole kava guzzlin pipe smoking green one......but what I just looked at were actions.....I need totoal flexability and I know I did it a few hundered thousnad years ago when PS7 1st came out........hell it might have been PS4 or LE or PS5 as I had access to them all.....and it was as I described...ou could do an even frame or even totally different size and thickness if you want.....I want to do some in Museum style mats....that means I thin side and one really thick side and photo heavy bottom or top depending g on where the thick side is.....
    Have I totally cunfuzzed ya yet.....ready for a good dose of KAVA:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    Open the file you want to edit. Select everything & cut. Now, change the
    canvas size to what ever you need. Paste the cut selection into a new layer
    and adjust accordingly. Add a drop shadow if you want.

Is that what you wanted to do?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Open the file you want to edit. Select everything & cut. Now, change the
    canvas size to what ever you need. Paste the cut selection into a new layer
    and adjust accordingly. Add a drop shadow if you want.

Is that what you wanted to do?

could be...but it seems I had a grid that opened up and showed a white square for the photo and then you cliked top, right , bottom or left and added the dimension (that is the dementia may come from:D) you wanted that part of the border to be...if you selected all 4 sides then you'd get an even border of the diemnsion you input......like I said I could be waking from a very lucid fantasy coma......

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    could be...but it seems I had a grid that opened up and showed a white square for the photo and then you cliked top, right , bottom or left and added the dimension (that is the dementia may come from:D) you wanted that part of the border to be...if you selected all 4 sides then you'd get an even border of the diemnsion you input......like I said I could be waking from a very lucid fantasy coma......
    You can just increase the canvas size with out the cut/paste step. But given
    you had an odd size or might want a drop shadow, I thought this might work
    better for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    You can just increase the canvas size with out the cut/paste step. But given
    you had an odd size or might want a drop shadow, I thought this might work
    better for you.

I will give it a try......and i do THANK you for the help......

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    I posted this 2 years ago. Maybe it will help.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19726

There is another link in the thread to a smugmug tute also.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    davev wrote:
    I posted this 2 years ago. Maybe it will help.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19726

There is another link in the thread to a smugmug tute also.

THANX Davev.....I think the 2nd thread that DR.IT posted is what I was looking for as it was for PSCS. thumb.gif