Options

Forcing 'Elegant Small'

g1r2e3gg1r2e3g Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited April 1, 2005 in SmugMug Support
It is not possible to force 'elegant small' in gallery customisation, any reason why?

Although i'm sure these days more than 50% of folks have a big enough monitor to fit 'elegant' for general design reasons i think it looks much nicer in my fully co-branded pages... so why can we set it at the user level and not in the the gallery options? seems like a smile change just adding it to the forced options list surely? with no effect to those who dont use any customisation.

can anyone explain why it's not an option?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 31, 2005
    The reason we don't provide the option to force Elegant Small is we automatically serve it up to people with 600x800 monitors or smaller, but serve Elegant to those who have 1024x768 or greater.

Our interaction with customers indicates they are allergic to Elegant if their monitors are small because then they'd have to scroll, which makes them crazy.

It's possible we're wrong about Elegant Small and that some people prefer it when they get to 1024x768, but we hadn't received that feedback before now. Mostly we see that they prefer larger images and more thumbnails.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    It would be really helpful if we had the option of what style to use for each gallery.

I love the all thumbs style and elegant, but it isn't possible to display both; first all thumbs then elegant.

-winn
  • Options
    g1r2e3gg1r2e3g Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    The reason we don't provide the option to force Elegant Small is we automatically serve it up to people with 600x800 monitors or smaller, but serve Elegant to those who have 1024x768 or greater.
    Hi Baldy,

I see the theory behind that statement, but I still feel that simply for freedom of choice for a gallery owner that all existing gallery styles should be avaialble to the forced display option.

Especially for those with a co-branded gallery who might for example want to make room for a left or right nav bar by setting their galleies to elegant small.

Anyway, just food for thought. I'm actaully _very_ happy with smugmug... No more creating my own thumbnails, phtoshop batch jobs blah blah blah. lifesavers!

Cheers,

Greg
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Our interaction with customers indicates they are allergic to Elegant if their monitors are small because then they'd have to scroll, which makes them crazy.

It's possible we're wrong about Elegant Small and that some people prefer it when they get to 1024x768, but we hadn't received that feedback before now. Mostly we see that they prefer larger images and more thumbnails.

Thanks,
    Baldy
    That whole scrolling issue drives me and my viewers nuts too which is why I had to change my title image (let's face it, it really was too large anyhow). Here's a couple of annoyances for you guys. First off, in IE whenever you mouseover an image in the elegant style (haven't tried it with other styles), the image refreshes which is terribly annoying. Secondly, when you go to the next image in the elegant style, the whole page is reloaded and scrolls back up to the top of the page which is also very annoying (that happens in both IE and firefox).

Mike
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/