Options

Lightroom 1.4 vs. 2.0 (BETA)

rcreamer824rcreamer824 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited June 16, 2008 in Finishing School
I know I have only scratched the surface of the BETA version, but was wondering if someone could tell me the major differences between these two programs?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I know I have only scratched the surface of the BETA version, but was wondering if someone could tell me the major differences between these two programs?

Lots of tweaks to the metadata browsing.
    Smart Collections.
    Selective brushes for applying saturation, burning and dodging, vibrance and clarity etc.
    Print to JPEG
    Print packages
    64 bit support and 16-bit printing
    Output sharpening.
    Better integration with Photoshop (smart objects, panno's etc).
    Lots and lots of tweaks. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I just downloaded 2.0 and went to import some photos (raw files) and it doesnot recognise any file I take it to.
    Any ideas Mr Rodney?? or any one else for that matter. I have had no probs with 1.0 ........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I just downloaded 2.0 and went to import some photos (raw files) and it doesnot recognise any file I take it to.
    Any ideas Mr Rodney?? or any one else for that matter. I have had no probs with 1.0 ........

What kind of Raws? What's the error?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    What kind of Raws? What's the error?

MRW's and it doesn't actully give an error.....my mistake......the dialog box of supported files is totally empty.
    I know with ACR I had to add a minolta raw plug in for the first version but after that all was kosher.
    Thanx
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I know with ACR I had to add a minolta raw plug in for the first version but after that all was kosher.
    Thanx

Odd, at least the beta (if not 1.4.1) should be on parity with ACR.

You might want to download the DNG converter, convert then import.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Thanks....I have had the DNG converter since its introduction to the public and that might be the way to go since raw files are and probably will stay proprietary.....and since I will be moving to another system in the future.....guess i will play with this to see if doing the conversion strips any of the exif data from the files.....
    Thanks again Mr. ARodney

• Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanks....I have had the DNG converter since its introduction to the public and that might be the way to go since raw files are and probably will stay proprietary

Keep in mind that the DNG converter is also updated regularly. 4.4.1 is the latest as far as I know.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Dual Monitors
    The time has run out on my 2.0 beta but for me the most major difference is the added support of a second monitor.

I was blown away by all the options offered on using the second monitor and so impressed that I've almost decided to move to lightroom.....
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    TBT wrote:
    The time has run out on my 2.0 beta but for me the most major difference is the added support of a second monitor.

I was blown away by all the options offered on using the second monitor and so impressed that I've almost decided to move to lightroom.....

if you get a registered user to recommend you, you can keep using the beta till. . . August I think. I asked on this forum and got a recommendation in just a few hours.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Selective brushes for applying saturation, burning and dodging, vibrance and clarity etc.

Does anyone know how this works when used with DNG files and other programs?

1) Do these changes get written to the xmp files of CR2s or into DNG metadata, or are these changes only within the Lightroom database?
    2) If I open a CR2 with these changes in ACR what happens to the changes? Do they carry over into ACR, or would I have to open the file directly into photoshop?
    3) If you make these types of changes in a DNG file are the changes reflected in the embedded preview? THe program I use (IDI) makes use of the embedded preview for printing, etc... This would be great if I could do these basic types of edits right in the DNG file and they would reflect in the JPEG.
    4) If this is the case, what would happen then if I open that same DNG from IDI into another ACR or another RAW converter? I would assume that as long as I stuck with Adobe products they would carry over these local changes, but what if I used DPP then?

Just some questions I'm trying to figure out since I don't use LR as my only RAW file management tool.

Thank you!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    I'm a big fan of the tweaks in 2.0 beta... It loads better, the side menus are smarter and better organized... it's the little things that matter to me really.