Jill-e bag

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Accessories
I saw one of these today, when I was picking up folios. It is between my Lowepro Computrekker and my Crumpler 5M Home in size, and really attractive.
Anyone own one? Reviews or accounts?

description

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    I might have to get one and review it myself - the one I saw was the red leather 'small', and it was priced at less than what the Jill-E web site has them priced at! (Yeah, Cdn $). mwink.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    As a female, I have to say that they really are darned cute. If you get one please share your experiences (or write a formal review! deal.gif )
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    edited June 17, 2008
    Jill-E Small Bag
    is really attractive, but it might be too small for my needs....It looks like a very nice purse, and would be great for a wedding photog. Straps are a nice faux reptile skin pattern.

I bought one today, and decided on the small rather than medium. It cost me $139CDN, the medium is priced at $190 plus tax. I'm not much of a big purse person, and don't really like the look of the medium bag.
    However, my reason for buying was that the Crumpler 5M home that I have will not hold the 1d or the 300mm, and right now that is my most common combo.

My primary purpose would be for traveling 'lighter' when on business, but a bit heavier than the 5M home allows. I just need to really sort out what that means in terms of equipment to take when I travel.

When we went to Mexico last winter, I took the crumpler, 20d, 24 - 105 and 70 - 200. It all fit, barely. Of course my other bag is the Lowepro CompuTrekker and it holds lots of stuff, but it doesn't always fit into overhead bins on planes, and is pretty heavy when full.

Anyway, some photos of the bag, with and without the 1d and 300mm:

315108343_NaD37-M.jpg

315110409_pjDJT-M.jpg

This is the 1d with 135mmf2 on (about the same size as the 24-105), and the 17 - 85 plus 85mmf1.8 in the bag.
    315111458_US2m2-M.jpg

The bag comes with all these seperators, a small wallet that can be clipped to the interior, and a shoulder strap:
    315112611_mLzq9-M.jpg

It is nicely padded and the lid has mesh compartments for memory (or film canisters?) There are small pockets on each end and the front. There are no interior pockets. The top closes by a zipper, the pockets close by snaps.

Now I need to make a decision about keeping it or exchanging it for the medium (not in stock in red!).
  • Gadget_GirlGadget_Girl Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Seen these bags at the Ottawa Image show on the weekend and loved them. I ordered the Medium bone with black pockets and can't wait to get it. I have a feeling I'll also be purchasing the roller.
    Ann were did you see your great prices?
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50D- Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma DC 18-200mm OS
    Canon Speedlite 580 EXll X2, PocketWizaed Plusll x2
    Mac

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film. ~Author Unknown[/FONT]
    edited November 20, 2008
    Seen these bags at the Ottawa Image show on the weekend and loved them. I ordered the Medium bone with black pockets and can't wait to get it. I have a feeling I'll also be purchasing the roller.
    Ann were did you see your great prices?

Carousel Photo Edmonton

10525 Jasper Avenue NW
    Edmonton, AB T5J 1Z4
    (780) 424-7161

The only web site they have is for their on line printing services:
    www.technicare.com

I buy all my sports folios from them. haven't bought any other equipment or used their printing yet. They seem to be the go to printer for the pros in town.

I used the Jill-E bag last weekend to go from indoor sports to a party. Lots of compliments on the attractiveness of the bag.

ann
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I wanted one of these soooo badly, but in the end finanaces won out and I wound up with the bag in this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=110572&highlight=diana

It's similar to the Jill-e - ie, purse style - althoug a little smaller and lighterweight.

I wanted that red leather one, but the Swiss Gear was less than half the price.... :cry

Thanks for the update! You're the first "real person" I know who has one, so it's useful to see non-marketing-material pictures :)
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I thought I posted this, but I guess I didn't. I went to the camera store a few months ago because I needed a written repair estimate for insurance, but walked out with two items instead. The camera store was having an event, and since I was carrying a red crumpler bag, I had sucker written all over me. The Jill-E lady spotted me and didn't give me a chance to run away.

304956217_sBRTw-S.jpg

My will power was strong until I discovered that I could carry two bodies + a 70-200 (placed vertical) in a medium size bag. I struggle to do this with my domke.

306546094_Bg9PM-S.jpg

Basically, it holds two bodies, many lenses, including my 70-200, + other things easily (including my lipstick)

I don't use it on photowalks, but I love this bag. It's my default "city" bag.
    edited November 21, 2008
    So I got my bag today and love it. I really can't get over all the room inside. I think the large red roller will have to be mine as well iloveyou.gif.

Here are a couple of pics.
    IMG_0705.jpg
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50D- Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma DC 18-200mm OS
    Mac

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film. ~Author Unknown[/FONT]
    edited November 21, 2008
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Mac

edited November 21, 2008
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Mac