Mini-Challenge 4 Winner

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited June 20, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Bear with me, I am typing this on some sort of german keyboard, with no apparent apostrophes and the Z and the Y in the wrong place.

Runners Up, in no particular order

Anwmn1- heading west

264849066_ZAX5r-M.jpg

beautiful pic- no commentary needed. Except for the fact that the watermark is waaaaay too obvious.

richtersl- abandoned homestead

310030580_qgjsP-M.jpg

Very strong, close to the number one spot. conversion is spot on.

Karrie McD- a little too late

284638998_xvmAs-L-6.jpg

I know, I know. It has selective coloring. I am nothing if not inconsistent. Let em explain my reasoning- selective coloring is, 99% of the time, pure schlock. "wow, everything is black and white but that single red rose!" or "amazing, a picture of a cute baby with the blue of its eyes the only color! I certainly have never seen that before."

I. Detest. Schlock. Period, end of discussion. This is why I would conditionally forbid selective colorization and dogmatically refuse to consider shots of babies in any contest I would ever run or be a judge in.

But this photo is slyly funny, and that forgives a lot. Schlock with humor is kitsch, and that is fine. Schlock alone is undigestible.

Awais Yqub- Still looking the way

122147453_CGYx9-L.jpg

I have no idea how Awais gets these shots. They are amazing.

Second Place

FlyingGina- resting in peace

137646640_ZmjXC-L.jpg

This shot is great. It is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. IT conveys desolation very well, and the flag contextualizes this very well, as well as washing out the rest of the colors.

Da Champeen of the world

The winner is, according to my own aesthetic judgement (which you should substite for your own in all instances, due to my well know refinededty) is....

JAG- Cold Grave Stone

311050189_g8R37-L-2.jpg

In the end it was a difficult choice, but I chose this one due to a number of factors. First, the composition is excellent. Thematically it fits well into desolation, loss, etc. The Angle is fantastic, I love the way the shadows fall across the snow. Five Stars.

So, JAG, I guess you are the lucky guy. Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make great.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Contratulations to JAG and to everyone who entered. clap.gifclapclap.gif

I am honored that my picture was picked for second place, but totally humbled by the touching, nostalgic and beautiful photographs that people submitted. They made me think and feel and I can give no higher praise. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

Virginia

Email
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Congrats JAG...a totally deserving image!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    richtersl- abandoned homestead

Very strong, close to the number one spot. conversion is spot on.

Thanks! I'm honored. iloveyou.gif

And, congratulations to JAG! Great image!!!! clap.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Congrats JAG! Nice images from everyone.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    OMG this was my favorite image great work.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    Oh my! What an honor! Thank you very much. I am totally shocked as there were so many great photos! This shot was taken from the window of a 14th story of the Sheraton hotel room that is in Anchorage Alaska.

Ok...so I now need to come up with a theme eh? let me get my first morning coffee and put my thinking cap on.eek7.gif

Again thank you.wings.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Thanks!!
    Thanks for placing my photo in the runner up category; I'm extreamly proud to have shown an execption to your "rule" about selective coloring. There are soooooo many good photos that come out of this topic.

JAG congrats, that is a great photo!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Congrats Jag! I am in 100% agreement with your photo being the winner. The moment I saw it my response was ... WOW ..that is totally awesome!! Hope it is enlarged and hanging in your house. It should be.
    LadyTX