Shooting pictures in Hollywood

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited April 1, 2005 in Landscapes
Filming a scene for an upcoming episode of CSI - Las Vegas

B Camera:
18582931-L.jpg
Setting trolleys for panning shots.
18582934-L.jpg
and some atmosphere I snapped between takes.
18582929-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    0 - 35, even the Mets have better averages.

So I'm doing a self bump to solicit comments / critiques. Thanks.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 31, 2005
    Angelo,

Guilty as charged rolleyes1.gif

OK, when I first looked at these, I immediately liked the sharpness, contrast and color. Looking deeper, all I saw were nice shots of people making a movie, or a person, with a camera, watching people make a movie. There wasn't anything compelling about the shots, that made me want to view them longer, or view them again ne_nau.gif

It pains me to be so blunt, but I have to admit, this is the major reason why I don't street shoot. For the life of me, I just can't make a street pic tell a story :cry My street shots wind up in the same boat as these. Basically, "Nice pics, but where's da beef?" I don't know whether it's a genetic defect, a lack of creativity/vision, a mental block, or just plain old stupidity on my part. headscratch.gif

Just to give you an idea of where I am coming from, I liked the lady with the camera pic best out of these 3. It has no context either, but at least it's a semi-candid shot and she's holding a camera thumb.gif

Angelo, I apologize if my comments are upsetting. It was not my intention. In no way did I mean to demean your shots or your effort. Maybe it's because I'm so frustrated with my lack of success at shooting these types of shots, that I came off so strongly. To do these types of shots justice, is wayyyyyyyyy harder than it looks :uhoh

For the record, everything I wrote could be entirely wrong and just the ravings of a sick mind :lol

At least with a bump, we may get some words of wisdom from the Pros clap.gif

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    What can I say?
    Well the 1st two don't do anything for me, but that's unfair I live here (L. A.), so pics of a crew at work is, well been there done that, there are some specific exp. items, but I'm not qualified so keep mouth shut.

However not that #3, is what I have done and wish it was different: If only the OOF guy looking at you was in focus, this shot would have rocked thumb.gifclap.gif. Everything else about is great!

Hope that helps
    And remember if your captured the Sec. will disavow any relation to the above :D
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    I think the last one says "Come here Angelo":D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    angelo

i agree with the others... the shots don't engage me, don't give me a clear focal point ... i mean i know what's going on but i'm not interested.

street work is tough. keep it up, if you have questions ask 'em here i'll come back :D
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Angelo,

Guilty as charged rolleyes1.gif

OK, when I first looked at these, I immediately liked the sharpness, contrast and color. Looking deeper, all I saw were nice shots of people making a movie, or a person, with a camera, watching people make a movie. There wasn't anything compelling about the shots, that made me want to view them longer, or view them again ne_nau.gif

It pains me to be so blunt, but I have to admit, this is the major reason why I don't street shoot. For the life of me, I just can't make a street pic tell a story :cry My street shots wind up in the same boat as these. Basically, "Nice pics, but where's da beef?" I don't know whether it's a genetic defect, a lack of creativity/vision, a mental block, or just plain old stupidity on my part. headscratch.gif

Just to give you an idea of where I am coming from, I liked the lady with the camera pic best out of these 3. It has no context either, but at least it's a semi-candid shot and she's holding a camera thumb.gif

Angelo, I apologize if my comments are upsetting. It was not my intention. In no way did I mean to demean your shots or your effort. Maybe it's because I'm so frustrated with my lack of success at shooting these types of shots, that I came off so strongly. To do these types of shots justice, is wayyyyyyyyy harder than it looks :uhoh

For the record, everything I wrote could be entirely wrong and just the ravings of a sick mind :lol

At least with a bump, we may get some words of wisdom from the Pros clap.gif

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    Steve:

Thank you for your input. If my skin were thin enough to be offended by your comments I wouldn't belong on a forum such as this. Your insight is actually right on. There isn't much compelling about the shots (well I do like the lady too) but it was all about good light, sharpness, contrast and color and for this you've recognized I did a fair job. I can't improve and aspire to Andy's level if I don't keep trying and seeking out criticism.

Now as for the ravings of a sick mind... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    What can I say?
    Well the 1st two don't do anything for me, but that's unfair I live here (L. A.), so pics of a crew at work is, well been there done that, there are some specific exp. items, but I'm not qualified so keep mouth shut.

However not that #3, is what I have done and wish it was different: If only the OOF guy looking at you was in focus, this shot would have rocked thumb.gifclap.gif. Everything else about is great!

Hope that helps
    And remember if your captured the Sec. will disavow any relation to the above :D
    Funny - it's the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" syndrome. Whenver I fail to accomplish a shallow DOF I hear about it. This time I was so happy (surprised) that my background was blurry. However, from a creative position I understand your point as I study the picture. If this one guy was also in focus, "making eye contact" it would've give a different and possibly more interesting bent to the photo.
    Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I think the last one says "Come here Angelo":D
    and who woulda thunk it? it's not like I was wearing a name tag or somethin' :D
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    I don't think she was looking at you, Angelo. She was interested in your D70!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

mitch
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    I don't think she was looking at you, Angelo. She was interested in your D70!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

mitch
    nikonians rule!!!! rolleyes1.gif