Options

copying photos to new galleries

pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited June 19, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
There MUST be a way to do this that I'm overlooking.

I have a gallery of 600 photos. I need to leave that gallery intact, but copy the photos into new galleries (so that they are categorized).

"Move" won't work, because client wants to refer to the photos as they are, by number.

I'd like something like the "move" feature, where I can batch select these photos rather than do them one at a time...

Thanks in advance!

-teresa

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Hi, you want copies in both galleries? You'll need to upload again, I'm sorry :(
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    OK, now that I realize I didn't plan very well, I'll plan better next time.
    Any chance that the admin gurus out there in smugmug land could COPY that entire gallery?

That way I can MOVE the photos from that gallery.

What's keeping me from moving them is that the client has marked up some extensive notes (he's still working on them), and he's referring to the photos as #1, #23, etc. If I move them, that will blow that away.

I can eventually delete the gallery with all the photos, just not yet. And client is asking they be categorized. Yikes. That's 12+ hours of uploading!

please?
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    600 photos, 12+ hours? Yikes. How big/small are your photos? How fast/slow is your internet service? I've just upgraded to the fast Comcast stuff. I'm not one to support major corporations and their abusive policies (like the $300 in overage charges I've paid to AT&T these past two months(cell phone--iPhone)) but I've gotta hand it to Comcast... they're delivering more than twice the upload and download speed they promised.

281342510.png
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    PeterLyons wrote:
    600 photos, 12+ hours? Yikes. How big/small are your photos? How fast/slow is your internet service? I've just upgraded to the fast Comcast stuff. I'm not one to support major corporations and their abusive policies (like the $300 in overage charges I've paid to AT&T these past two months(cell phone--iPhone)) but I've gotta hand it to Comcast... they're delivering more than twice the upload and download speed they promised.

281342510.png

281354578.png
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    So, is there any different way to do this?
    Such as collections, from Zenfolio??

-teresa
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    pigeon wrote:
    So, is there any different way to do this?
    Such as collections, from Zenfolio??

-teresa

I find the lack of image-copying to another gallery annoying too sometimes.

The easiest solution I've found for small batches found is to make a copy of each image, then move the copies to a new gallery. Here's the hitch: when you make a copy of the image(s) they stay in the original gallery, right next to the "original". The image numbers are new - just like you uploaded a new image...but when you go to move the images you have no idea which is the new image and which is the old. Usually the new image (the copy) pops up in front of the original, but occasionally one will pop up after the original.

Clear as mud? Yeah, I think so too. For 600 images it's probably easier to re-upload them all. We need to have a "copy to other gallery" function, not just "move to other gallery"! mwink.gif

You can look into whether a "sharegroup" will help - but that works off of entire galleries where Zen's "collections" let you add individual images.