Options

Ride West Young Man, SD, MT,WY, & CO

BuilditBuildit Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited June 19, 2008 in Journeys
Did my first motorcycle trip out west last summer with two friends. Had a great time and Jon was an awsome guide to the area. The trip started off with a scare though as I put my wallet into my pants pocket without zipping them up. Lucky me found it with the contents scattered across the highway. Everything of value was recovered and I continued into Iowa to meet my friends for the trip west.
lookingforwallet.jpg
We made the badlands after a day and a half of travel. The only interesting sceenery I saw till then was when we crossed the Missouri river on 90.
JaTcrossingSDday2.jpg
So Day three we entered the park and did a two hour tour.
bikesoverlookbadlands2.jpg
It was hard for me to get meaningful shots of the horizon and vistas there without including the road or our bikes as indicators of size.
badlandspark.jpg
endofbadlands.jpg
being an Right coast boy I've never had to deal with expanses as large as those out west. So a lot of my photos lack a "grand" feeling that some pictures have.:(:
From there we traveled to Mnt Rushmore. I liked the view from the road more than the view from the mall simply because the perspective is diffrent from the one most shots give you.:wink
Jononrdrushmore.jpg
JaTRushmore.jpg
To this day I kick myself for not getting more pictures of rt16 heading through Cody National park into Needles NP. But it took me that long to prop my jaw back up and get the camera out.:D
rt16tunnel.jpg
Needlesspires2.jpg
Needlesroad2.jpg
Our last stop for the day was the uncompleted Crazy Horse monument. We decided that $10 each was not worth getting closer.
JaTcrazyHorse.jpg
CrazyHorse.jpg
It was getting late and we had yet to stop for food so we b-lined it to Sturgis for dinner and a place to camp. Being off season Sturgis was dead so no great photos of bikes rolling up and down packed roads.:rolleyes
SturgisBar.jpg
Day 4 was less about sight seeing and more about making tracks to Livingstone Montana. We ended up spending way more time at devils tower than we expected, but I think it was worth it.
Allthreeatdevilstower.jpg
Tomonledgeatdevilstower.jpg
I really like getting perspectives on things that "popular" photos don't show. So getting pictures of the tower as we were riding to and from the park are actually my favorites.:lust
JaTleavingdevilsTower.jpg
DevilsTowerapproach.jpg
I know this is suposed to be photos but this video worked out really well. By mounting the camera on the bike and having Jon video me from the road I was able to get two perspective of this corner in the Powder River pass canyon.
th_doublevideoavi.jpg
Riding to Livingstone was an adventure in itself. But much of that adventure was riding dirt roads at night trying not to hit a Elk or Pronghorn.:uhoh
WYdesert.jpg

:andy TBC

Comments

• Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    I was up early Day 5 and made it outside for a walk and to see the mountains north of yellowstone.
    montanasky2.jpg
    MattsinMontana.jpg
    The park itself is huge even if you never leave the main roads. But this was a motorcycle trip and I jot to see so much from the bike.
    Waterfall2.jpg
    SteamboatGeyser.jpg
    geysersaroundSteamboatGeyser.jpg
    So day 5 was touring the Western half of the park to Old Faithfull. I was least impressed by Old Faithfull mostly because it is so well documented.
    Day 6 Was our Chance to see the Eastern half of the park as we made our way towards CO.
    Traffic was lighter the second day we went so I was able to stop and get a shot of the origional entrance to the park.
    Yellowstonegateway.jpg
    Yellowstonegatewaywhy.jpg
    mammothsulfurpools2.jpg
    Yellowstonerivercanyon2.jpg
    Yellowstonerivercanyon.jpg
    BuffaloHerd3.jpg
    The weather did not cooperate with us as we headed South into the Tetons. We ran into a hail and tornado storm that temporarily closed the roads further delaying us and obscuring the great views.
    Tetonscoveredinmist3.jpg
    As a result we only made it as far as I-80 before we had to stop and get a hotel for the night.
    Day7 we completed our ride into Steamboat from I-80 again dodging pronghorns as we went.
    Pronghorn2.jpg
    The weather was bitterly cold for August but the empty roads gave me a chance to play with taking photos as I rode along.
    Cold.jpg
    AfterRawins.jpg
    Tomreaching.jpg
    The view from Jons' friends house (John) was beautifull.
    ViewFromJohns.jpg
    Day8 was a day for R&R so Tom and I decided to give the two Jo(h)n's a chance to catch up while we rode to Steamboat Lake.
    Tomridingopenrangert62.jpg
    Aspens.jpg
    TomandIsteamboatlake.jpg
    Day 9 was my time to head back to Ohio. Jon and Tom had another 6 days to stay so I was heading back alone.
    They tried to inform me about all the interesting off road areas I should adventure through as I headed East. But I missed every single one and simply enjoyed the view from I-40 heading into Denver.
    I-40rockycanyon-1.jpg
    Mountainpasson40.jpg
    Once through Denver I was back onto long straight boring roads that lasted forever.
    Kansassunrise.jpg
    Kansasstormbrewing.jpg
    As I made it into Ohio I passed a this bus that really made me laugh. Some thought and imagination really went into it.
    Peacebusfront.jpg

I'm hoping that I get a chance to do more great tours like that to places I've never been. The motorcycle gives you so much more freedom to see and experience an area than a car. I highly recommend touring this way if you can.clap.gif
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Nice road trip. What an adventure. I used to ride bikes long time ago and still day dream about taking a long ride like that sometimes.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 27, 2008
    Excellent road trip!

Been to a few of those places myself thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    between advrider and DGrin this in my book given all the circumstances involved is definitely one of the top 10 pics ever posted.

sweet.

AfterRawins.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2008
    amadeus wrote:
    between advrider and DGrin this in my book given all the circumstances involved is definitely one of the top 10 pics ever posted.

sweet.

AfterRawins.jpg

Thanks for the accolade. Jon will be happy to hear his goofing around is so well appreciated.thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Amazing journey !! great places
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    I took the same basic route last summer as well. Our trip was 10 days, 4,000 miles. We camped almost every day, which was a pain because setting up and taking down the tent each day sucked! But the trip was awesome. I would love to go back to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons again.

Looks like you had a good time.

Dale
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Awesome pics, I grew up out there, brings back good memories.:D iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    As I didn't know where else to post them I thought I'd include some new shots from a recent get together me and some riding buddies had.mwink.gif Not your average jumps because these are not dirt bikes. They are road legal 650cc motorcycles.deal.gif
    TomJumpingKLR.jpg
    Robjumpheadon.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Bring 'em on!
  • Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Great story!!!!

I love it!!

Is that a XR 650L??
    How did it do?

Im looking to get myself somthing similiar.

Your photos insipire me to get out and adventure ride!
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I too journeyed through Yellowstone and other parts of Wyoming on motorcycle, we got a little closer to the Tetons though, boy do they really make you feel small.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Man, I've always wanted to do a CC trip on a bike. I suppose I'll have to learn how to ride first though.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    20DNoob wrote:
    Man, I've always wanted to do a CC trip on a bike. I suppose I'll have to learn how to ride first though.

Have a look here.

Here's the nutshell version. Annette learned to drive in Denmark at age 31
    and on a motorcycle. Armed with a license and a dream, she quit her job
    as a lawyer and left for Buenos Aires where she bought a motorcycle and
    lived for 8 months prior to leaving for Mexico (yes, she rode the motorcycle
    to Mexico) and finally here to the States. I met her at a motorcycle rally
    last month and listened to her speak about her trip last night.

Live your dream.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Have a look here.

Live your dream.

While the logisics of doing a motorcycle trip for the first time can be a little intimidating I believe your first step is getting involved in the community that rides, try diffrent bikes, and don't limit yourself to the marketing stereotypes.thumb.gif

Recent shot of a trip with some other V-strom riders.
    ridersbehind2.jpg

This summer I hope to make a trip through the Adirondacks to Mnt Washington and back on the KLR with the same two guys.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Great story!!!!

I love it!!

Is that a XR 650L??
    How did it do?

Yes it is an Honda XR650. It putted right along but had a small tank which limited our road time to 100 miles at a fill up. I would honestly say the KLR was the ride of the day for all terrain and great distance. But My Vstrom had the comfort, speed and hauling factor.rolleyes1.gif