Options

Looking at a low light 50mm Please HELP

Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Accessories
Looking for a low light lens, And I've came across this 50mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LENO/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I know it won't be great for sports inside or anything, but the price is pretty decent for a 1.4

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited June 19, 2008
    Chris_ND wrote:
    Looking for a low light lens, And I've came across this 50mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LENO/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I know it won't be great for sports inside or anything, but the price is pretty decent for a 1.4

What do you guys think?

Both of the Nikkor 50mm lenses, the f1.4D and the f1.8D, are very nice lenses and focus speed is dependent upon the Nikon host body as neither has an AF-S motor. They can indeed be used for sports situations, but they might not be a first choice.

My recommendation would probably be for the f1.4 if money is not an object. The slight edge in aperture and resulting bokeh is desirable for crop Nikon cameras. Both lenses require stopping down to middle apertures for maximum sharpness but they are both usable wide open.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    would you reccomend a 50 or, Should I just save up the cash for a 80-200
    such as
    a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Depends what you like to shoot most of the time....you didn't really say. Those are 2 very different lenses. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    I went ahead and bought a 1.8 50mm from a dgrin member.

Awkardly, I shoot everything. From sports, to portraits, to landscape. I've been addicted to flowers recently. I'm also looking to find a macro lens. I think the 50mm will be a very nice addition to my growing package. Next i'm looking for a 100-400 maybe. I was thinking of a Vivitar. My friend had a Vivitar 100-400 3.5 I belive. He said it was decent for the money, so I can't complain if I find one. *if anyone has one to sell or a decent telephoto please let em know*

With the 50mm I won't really worry about a low light lens for a while. I do think i'll invest into a 200 2.8 or something in the future. Just right now its not fiscal for myself to spend over 1000 dollars for a lens when no sports indoors are going on right now! =)

Thanks for all the information guys. I really appreciate it!
    -Chris
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Chris_ND wrote:
    I went ahead and bought a 1.8 50mm from a dgrin member.

Awkardly, I shoot everything. From sports, to portraits, to landscape. I've been addicted to flowers recently. I'm also looking to find a macro lens. I think the 50mm will be a very nice addition to my growing package. Next i'm looking for a 100-400 maybe. I was thinking of a Vivitar. My friend had a Vivitar 100-400 3.5 I belive. He said it was decent for the money, so I can't complain if I find one. *if anyone has one to sell or a decent telephoto please let em know*

With the 50mm I won't really worry about a low light lens for a while. I do think i'll invest into a 200 2.8 or something in the future. Just right now its not fiscal for myself to spend over 1000 dollars for a lens when no sports indoors are going on right now! =)

Thanks for all the information guys. I really appreciate it!
    -Chris

You can't really go wrong with the 50mm 1.8. Even if you decide you'd rather not use it for sports, it's an excellent lens to have in your bag when you go out on a photography quest.