2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    It looks like you may have to rely on Olympus for your flash unit(s)..................... soooooooo .............. I would purchase the most powerful flash that I could afford from Oly ............ but I looked into the Sigma line (a very reputable line of flashes) and did not see any Oly compatibility there....... it also looks the same for SUNPAK.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    It looks like you may have to rely on Olympus for your flash unit(s)..................... soooooooo .............. I would purchase the most powerful flash that I could afford from Oly ............ but I looked into the Sigma line (a very reputable line of flashes) and did not see any Oly compatibility there....... it also looks the same for SUNPAK.....

may I ask why the most powerful? Is there something about the Oly's flash system that isn't good?
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    may I ask why the most powerful? Is there something about the Oly's flash system that isn't good?
    Remember please...this is just my opinon........I always purchase the most powerful flash units I can afford.....the reason is ..... you can cut down on light but you cannot make more light come from a flash unit.....

I did not mean to give the impression that Oly flashes were good....I am sure they are as good as their cameras, which always have been very good....
    I refernced the other 2 Mfg'ers due to the fact that I usually purchase from Sunpak..... 2 things I look for are guide numbers + cost.....I like large guide numbers (my sunpak 622 have a gn of 200 @iso 100 that will equate to normally F20@10 feet, of course that is without any light modifiers)...so this is how I judge what I want in the way of a flash. I do not look so much for progarammabilty or auto functions as much as a lot of shooters do....as I almost always meter my shots when possible (portrait and wedding work get metered with a hand held flash/ambient light meter).... this has always insured I getthe best shot possible.

TMI I bet....... I am sorry for the ramble....:D

I was hoping Swinton Photo would be by and give you expert Oly advice........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Olympus flash units are great. I have had great results from mine. There are 3 different flashes to choose from, the FL-20, FL-36, and FL-50. The FL-20 is only twice as powerful as your built in flash and has very limited adjustment capabilities. The FL-36 and the FL-50 are much better choices. I use the FL-36. The differences between the FL-36 and the FL-50 are power, size, and weight.
    I chose the FL-36 because it is smaller, lighter, yet still has all the customizable functions, auto sync abilities, etc of the FL-50 for less than half the price. The FL-50 does have 1 stop more power so if you want the most powerful flash and you have $360 than that one is a good one to get. However, my opinion is that the FL-50 is quite large when used with the E-510. I use the E-510 and think the size and power of the FL-36 is more than sufficient, plus you can get it for $160. It has a built in capacitor that allows it to store extra energy so it keeps very short recycle times. I use my FL-36 for weddings on a weekly basis with my E-510 and am very pleased. If you absolutely need the extra stop of power, or would like to hook the flash to a battery pack than the FL-50 is the best. If you want a more compact option that is much more affordable, you will be very pleased with the FL-36. You will likely be very happy with either flash.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Olympus flash units are great. I have had great results from mine. There are 3 different flashes to choose from, the FL-20, FL-36, and FL-50. The FL-20 is only twice as powerful as your built in flash and has very limited adjustment capabilities. The FL-36 and the FL-50 are much better choices. I use the FL-36. The differences between the FL-36 and the FL-50 are power, size, and weight.
    I chose the FL-36 because it is smaller, lighter, yet still has all the customizable functions, auto sync abilities, etc of the FL-50 for less than half the price. The FL-50 does have 1 stop more power so if you want the most powerful flash and you have $360 than that one is a good one to get. However, my opinion is that the FL-50 is quite large when used with the E-510. I use the E-510 and think the size and power of the FL-36 is more than sufficient, plus you can get it for $160. It has a built in capacitor that allows it to store extra energy so it keeps very short recycle times. I use my FL-36 for weddings on a weekly basis with my E-510 and am very pleased. If you absolutely need the extra stop of power, or would like to hook the flash to a battery pack than the FL-50 is the best. If you want a more compact option that is much more affordable, you will be very pleased with the FL-36. You will likely be very happy with either flash.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you, that helps. I will get the FL-36. Where did you purchase yours?
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    ValderValder Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    PM send regarding a FL-36 for sale...

Darrin
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I got mine at B&H or Adorama - can't remember.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    Thanks everyone, I have a flash now. FL 36
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

Metz also makes flashes for Oly and they are very good as well. I run a older model the MZ 54 4i if you get the one with the m6 sca it has the full functions of a Oly flash there is also the 44, 48, 58 all by metz. the 44 and 48 are comparable to the FL 36 I have heard some people like the Metz better at that size. My 54 is very comparable to my FL50r and is better in some areas. The 58 is supposed to have the full wireless ttl as well that works with the newer Olympus cameras. So you do have other options if you want but both Met and the Oly flashes are very good flashes.
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/