Options

Highlight Priority anyone?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Technique
Amongst the plethora of wonderful new features in 40D this one is probably the least used by yours truly. I tried it quickly in Montana last Fall and then totally forgot about it for 6 months or so. I recently stumbled upon it and wondered if I'm sitting on a pot of gold and don't use it to my own disadvantage.
I am gonna try it, but I was wondering if anybody gave this feature some serious run. If so, I'd really appreciate your sharing... :thumb
NOTE: I'm not asking for the theoretical/academic point of view, only for real life practical results...:wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    Nik,

Sadly I have not tested this feature much either. I keep meaning to ... ne_nau.gif

I'll try to schedule some time.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    One thing, at least on the 450D, is that it slows down your continuous shot rate.
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    It doesn't slow down the continuous rate on the 40D. I get about 69-74 L jpgs and 17 raw shots w/ it on. I've noticed about 1/3 - 2/3 stop saved detail in my highlights. My shadows haven't suffered when I used it at ISO 200. I haven't used it above ISO 200. I don't keep it on because I've seen the warning in the manual that says you may notice more noise in the shadows. headscratch.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Hmmm...guess I better get out the manual and re-read it! I love the images I get with the 40D but I have to admit I'm not shooting as much these days and it still feels 'foreign' to me. I have not tried the highlight priority. Sounds like an worthy goal, though! mwink.gif