TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited June 21, 2008 in The Big Picture
a
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Doesn't sound right to me. Ex-MP, 287th Berlin, Germany, '73-'75.

I'm one that shakes my head at even Government Buildings and Fire-barns flying the flag incorrectly for half staff (< rant >one flag's height down from the top of the pole, not halfway down,unless it is a Garrison Flag and it works out that way, after raising the flag fully to the top! And flying flags 24 hours, unlit at night and /or until they are tattered and not removing them! < /rant >)

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:

I'm one that shakes my head at even Government Buildings and Firebarns flying the flag incorrectly for half staff (< rant >one flags hieght down from the top of the pole, not halfway down,unless it is a Garrison Flag and it works out that way, after raising the flag fully to the top! And flying flags 24 hours, unlit at night and /or until they are tattered and not removing them! < /rant >)

Don

I hafta agree..........maybe talk your client into doing it as a photo of the flag canvas wrapped......I have only seen framed flags and those were totally folded by the military at a funeral .......... so stapling one to a canvas stretcher just doesn't seem correct....... but maybe you should actually contact an honor guard or someone in the Militaly that deals with proper FLAG PROTOCOL as part of his/her daily job.......

I know we have all seen flags hung on walls in schools and other buildings and those are either stapled, screwed or nailed to the walls......
    I am curious as to how big is this flag and what it is made of...nylon or cotton......a nylon flag would be best and easiest for this typ of project....not saying I would want to be in your shoes tho.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    From USA Flag Site

When displaying from other than a staff:

"The flag should be displayed flat, whether indoors or out. When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window it should be displayed in the same way, that is with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street. When festoons, rosettes or drapings are desired, bunting of blue, white and red should be used, but never the flag."

I spent 9 years in the AF and grew up military, so I'd be dead set against stapling a flag or displaying it in any manner other than outlined in the protocol. I'm curious why your client would want to wrap the flag in the first place? They'd lose the portion of the edges that wrapped, so the flag would be incomplete. I'd voice my concerns to client and tell them going flat would be the best for all concerned.

Good luck!
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Grrrrrr!!!
    DonRicklin wrote:

I'm one that shakes my head at even Government Buildings and Fire-barns flying the flag incorrectly for half staff (< rant >one flag's height down from the top of the pole, not halfway down,unless it is a Garrison Flag and it works out that way, after raising the flag fully to the top! And flying flags 24 hours, unlit at night and /or until they are tattered and not removing them! < /rant >)

Don

I worked in the accounting office of a private member country club for 2 years. Every time a member or member's spouse died, they lowered the US & club flags to half-staff. Half of them had never served a minute in the military OR worked a day in their lives. I get all jawed-up just thinking about it. Morons!
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    now that ive thought about it for the day...i know i wont do it........
    why would i even consider it.......ne_nau.gif
    what a big dummy....

why they wanted it was so they could float it off the wall for effect....
    i wish i had a really good shot of a flag so to make that into a canvas....
    i will see where this goes....

thanks all! my instincts seem to be still be good.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    DonnaLu wrote:
    I worked in the accounting office of a private member country club for 2 years. Every time a member or member's spouse died, they lowered the US & club flags to half-staff. Half of them had never served a minute in the military OR worked a day in their lives. I get all jawed-up just thinking about it. Morons!
    Well, to the way I learned it (Regular Army) the listing for half staff at the site you quote is WRONG! Is there an Official Government site that lists this stuff?

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Bodwick wrote:
    As an Exhibit Builder for a Museum and occasional conservator, this looks like an excellent solution!thumb.gif

clap.gif

Don
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    Aaron:

You didn't tell us why your client has requested this framing of the flag.

http://www.americanflags.org/docs/etiquette.jsp
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    i guess i didnt make it clear before...

they want it to have a look as if it is floating on their wall....
    inotherwords, mounted a few inches off the wall...

i talked to her and suggested a few other ways but they didnt want to spend spend....(like that glass on glass mount look)

i suggested a picture of a flag and she wants to see what im talking about....so i guess i will be looking for a good photo of a flag from anyone...
    and we will see if they would decide on a canvas print instead of a real flag...

they also dont want to frame traditional due to price...

thanks all for your input!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    Aaron:

You didn't tell us why your client has requested this framing of the flag.

http://www.americanflags.org/docs/etiquette.jsp

thats a really good link i had not found before...thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008

i talked to her and suggested a few other ways but they didnt want to spend spend....(like that glass on glass mount look)

i suggested a picture of a flag and she wants to see what im talking about....so i guess i will be looking for a good photo of a flag from anyone...
    and we will see if they would decide on a canvas print instead of a real flag...

Aron,

While I am not sure of the costs, one thing that jumped into my head was to print say a waving flag on a linen type paper, or maybe canvas. Mount this to suitable backing, gator board?, and then cut out the image, put some sort of stand off, 1" X 2" blocks to hold the cut out image off the wall.

Sam
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008

OK, well then I'm with you on your decision, of a few posts ago, to walk away. I wouldn't do this because I actually respect the flag and understand it is not to be used as a form of decoration.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    now that ive thought about it for the day...i know i wont do it........
    why would i even consider it.......ne_nau.gif
    what a big dummy....

why they wanted it was so they could float it off the wall for effect....
    i wish i had a really good shot of a flag so to make that into a canvas....
    i will see where this goes....

thanks all! my instincts seem to be still be good.....

Good decision.

Thad

USMC 82 - 90