Options

Film Recommendations?

afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Accessories
Hey folks -

So I began years ago shooting film, but I really got into photography in the dSLR age. I recently unearthed my Canon AE1 SLR and what do you know - the battery is still good! I'd like to shoot some film with it, but I don't know what to use.

I don't have any idea what's out there and what is good. I want something nicer than the standard drug store film, but I can't pay $10 per roll. Anything middle ground. I'd love recommendations for both color and b&w.

Also, any good developers in NYC that people have used recently? Any online/mail-in services? I don't want to pay out the nose, but again, I'm not settling for drug store machines.

Thanks so much for any recommendations!

Adam

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I can only recommend the Ilford Delta B&W series. They were
    awesome. I got grainless A4 prints form ISO 3200 film. But
    that film is expensive. Why don't you just buy a roll of FujiFilm
    or Kodak Gold and see if you like it?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    First of all what is availble in your area.....any real PRO CAMERA STORES or just small local shops carrying the basics like what wally world or wall greene carries......or you can shop online.....as a film pro I shot basically 3 films.....the pro fujis, AGFA 50 print (no longer avail) and Ilford for b/w......for most of my wedding and portrait work it was Fuji transparency films of the iso 50 / 100 families and I used the Ilford Delta mentioned above.....I have not kept up with what is available.....I will recommend that you may want to shop FREESTYLE PHOTO online as tey used to have fantastic prices on films ....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    The Fuji NPS for color film, Ilford Delta films for B&W, and Provia for slide film are all my favorites.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I'm in NYC so I do have access to B&H, Adorama, etc. I am also happy to shop online. I'm going to check out the link provided for the films mentioned over the weekend.

Any other specific films people still use?

Any developers recommended?

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    cameralogiccameralogic Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2008
    afarber wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I'm in NYC so I do have access to B&H, Adorama, etc. I am also happy to shop online. I'm going to check out the link provided for the films mentioned over the weekend.

Any other specific films people still use?

Any developers recommended?

Thanks!!!

I am a strong Fujifilm. I carry Fuji 200 for general purpose. The Fuji Pro line has great exposure latitude. I use 160S for landscapes.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    As far as developing I like Duggal but depending on what you are getting developed, they can be expensive.
    Film wise I use Kodak Tri-X or Professional Ultra.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    my vote goes for ilford aswell.
    also if you want a lomographhy type look try picking up some expired film, its cheap too.

Good luck
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    I think I'm going to order from B&H a couple rolls of each of these:

Delta-400 Professional 135-36 Black & White Print Film (ISO-400)

and

Pro 400H 135-36 Professional Color Negative (Print) Film (ISO 400)

I'm selecting ISO400 somewhat at random - mostly for outdoors, but with a bit of flexibility to shoot indoors a bit. I'm really doing this pretty blind...just giving it a shot.

Still looking for a devloper, but in NYC that should be pretty easy.

Any thoughts on my choice or other pieces of advice?

Thanks all!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    In addition to the Ilford, I'm really liking the Fuji ACROS 100 if you can use slower B&W. I'm not doing much color, but the Fuji Pro stuff is nice with the little I've shot.
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    WOW!

Unearthing your AE-1 (I used to have one) is like Woody Allen finding that Volkswagen.

rolleyes1.gif

Have fun!

David