Options

Magnetic Lasso tool question

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Finishing School
This is probably about as basic as it gets, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I've got a picture where I'm trying to isolate two separate components, and since they're not connected, I don't know how to include both of them with the lasso. Basic Windows technique would be to press Control...but that's not it...:scratch

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    This is probably about as basic as it gets, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I've got a picture where I'm trying to isolate two separate components, and since they're not connected, I don't know how to include both of them with the lasso. Basic Windows technique would be to press Control...but that's not it...headscratch.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    What I think you're asking is how to build a selection of two different areas by using the magnetic lasso tool twice, once for each.

If that's the question, then what you do is lasso the first area. Then make sure that you have "Add to selection" checked before you lasso the second area. In CS3, this is a set of icons at the top when a selection tool is active:

318009301_jzBae-L.jpg
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    That's IT, John! I appreciate it.

Thanks!
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 22, 2008
    If you have your first area selected, and then hold down the shift key, you can add to your selection again and again. Holding down your alt/option key lets you subtract from your selection with the mouse, whether your selection tool is the magic wand, the magnetic lasso, or the Quick Selection tool which has quickly become my tool of choice these days.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin