Options

engagement-like photos, C&C please

NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Weddings
Well, I recently had the opportunity to take engagement like photos of some of my married friends. It was a bit of a struggle as he didn't really want to take the photos so before we were able to make it out the door we only had a half hour of light. In addition all of the photos are from right outside of their apartments (not a great view). Anyway, I gave it a shot, and this is what I came up with. Please comment and critique.
1.)
2597639703_1e512e4e07.jpg?v=0
2.)
2595898037_69a594db24.jpg?v=0
3.)
2595897427_3b39d93f0f.jpg?v=0
4.)
2595913709_53ece52bea.jpg?v=0
5.)
2595903097_eb76a70a13.jpg?v=0
6.)
2595899079_b2d81266dd.jpg?v=0
7.)
2596735314_f5bd6aa8c0.jpg?v=0
8.)
2596739060_5228983474.jpg?v=0
9.)
2596736264_f472dfbe02.jpg?v=0
10.)
2596738138_869a90fa99.jpg?v=0

please leave comments and critique, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Nate

Equipment
Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
Tampa Bay Wedding Photography

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I think you did a good job on all of them.......I just don't like that dang fence in #1 .............. it would be better of you used a tad of Gaussian blur to make it Unfocused.....me thinks it distracting............but that is simply mho.....and it isn't worth the time it took me to type it and spell czech it.................mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    thanks for the comment, yeah, I hadn't thought of the fence (which is actually a bridge) being distracting. I had liked it in the full shot, but decided to crop it and didn't really think of blurring it. Might be interesting.

Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    1st Try
    If this is your first try, it's a good start. Watch the eyes. Your angle cut off his eyes in the first, third and fifth with his eyeglass frames. The skin tones are all over the place between the images so they don't have a consistent look to them - my guess is that the exposure varied so you changed the image in post to compensate. Also, you need to not crop so tightly. You will feel it when you go to print these since you may have to cut off some of the image. That said - #3 and 5 are my choices.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Chatkat: thanks for the feedback :)
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Very nice set for your first time, especially since your friend wasn't too interested in having his photo taken! Maybe after seeing these, he will be more appreciative! Number 3 is my favorite. She is quite photogenic and has a great smile. A little too much magenta in some of these, but mostly a pretty nice job!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I agree with Kathy on these...the crop is really tight. A little space would aid in overall composition.....sometimes space is the place. Pretty good effort for first time.....a bit of color balance correction will help. Way to be.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Very nice shots.
    I bet they LOVED them.
    One comment where the ladies faces is so much closer than the mans in the one shot it makes her head look a bit large....maybe not as complimentary as it could be.
    Other than that I really like the lighting, exposure and creativity of the shots.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Thanks all for the feedback, I really appreciate it. :)

Swartzy: I was trying to crop rather tight, I guess I just went a little overboard. I was going extra tight to avoid houses and the like in the background, but I probably could have gone a little wider, ahh well, the actual photos have plenty of room, so I can just change the crop a bit.

Zoomer: Yeah, I think they liked them for them. at least that's what they are telling me. I've been working on the lighting and stuff, it's interesting how in photography there's always something different to change and to watch. Ahh well I guess that's the fun of it.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment