Options

Lost lightroom metadata

lanceeeelanceeee Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 23, 2008 in Finishing School
Howdy,

Has anybody ever lost their metadata?

I've just started using LR and have spent the better part of the afternoon creating new keywords, assigning them to my photos, and ranking my photos. I went adjust one photo, then using the menus, did an undo. LR seemed to hang for about 10 seconds. When it came back, all my meta data that I had added was gone from the photos. Also gone were the keywords I created today.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Several hours of work down the drain. :-(

Lance

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    First, what version of LR and what OS?

I have heard of such a thing from the simple use of Cmd/Ctll-z once, once before. I think it was on the Adobe User to User Forum inthe past month. It is highly un-usual for a single undo to do so much ubdoing.

Sorry to hear this has happned to you.

I have only had undo's do a single, just what was done undo. In fact I have been fully keywording all 21k images in my catalog and have had to use undo to fix little errors on my part with no such result.

By and chance did you have Auto-write to xmp selected?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    I see you have posted this same thread at the User to User. You will probably get more help in the long run there, than here. Thouhg I have a feeling you most just have to start over agin. How big a catalog is it?

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    First, what version of LR and what OS?

I have heard of such a thing from the simple use of Cmd/Ctll-z once, once before. I think it was on the Adobe User to User Forum inthe past month. It is highly un-usual for a single undo to do so much ubdoing.

Sorry to hear this has happned to you.

I have only had undo's do a single, just what was done undo. In fact I have been fully keywording all 21k images in my catalog and have had to use undo to fix little errors on my part with no such result.

By and chance did you have Auto-write to xmp selected?

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for your response.

I am using LR 1.4 with Vista Home Premium. It is actually an evaluation copy, but as far as I can tell, it is the full version, but only good for 30 days.

I did not have Auto-write to xmp selected at the time. I was not aware of it at the time as this is only my 2nd day using it. Also, my catalog only has 400 pictures at this time.

It was probably more than a single undo as once it locked up, I hit a probably hit a few other keys. However, since I had been working for a few ours, even if I did several undos, I would not expect it to delete everything I did today.

Other than this problem, LR had been growing on me as I became more comfortable with it.

Lance
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I see you have posted this same thread at the User to User. You will probably get more help in the long run there, than here. Thouhg I have a feeling you most just have to start over agin. How big a catalog is it?

Don

Don,

What is the User to User? I've posted it here and on Adobe's LR forum.

Lance
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    lanceeee wrote:
    Don,

What is the User to User? I've posted it here and on Adobe's LR forum.

Lance
    That is the User to User forum. It is listed that way right at the top of the forums and in their folder heirarchy.

See screen shot.

:D

Don