Options

Alaskan Weekend

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Journeys
I posted this on another forum and thought maybe it was a good fit for "Journeys" here on Dgrin. Originally when I posted it I did so just to share what a summer weekend can be like up here. Don't get me wrong, they're not all this way, but what I'm documenting here is not at all unusual. So maybe anyone who's been contemplating a vacation up here can use this to help decide whether it's worth the time/expense.

When you live in Alaska, the most common question people "outside" (Alaskan for the lower 48) ask is "how do you endure the long, cold, dark winters?" The simple answer is that you endure them by looking forward to summer. Banking enough memories during the summer makes you look forward to the next one and helps tide you over till "break up" (Alaskan for spring). Come breakup, life up here goes into overdrive. Biologically, mentally, and spiritually, 20 hours a day of sunlight works wonders. And in the summer, no one wastes opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. I don't know if it the type of personality that makes you come and live in a place like this or if it the established culture that you adopt once here, but one thing I've noticed is that no one takes the wonders of summer for granted here. Myself included.

We live in Fairbanks which is in the interior. The least geographically attractive part of the state, particularly for beach/ocean lovers like my wife and I. So we have a trailerable boat that we keep down in Valdez during the summer (pronounced Valdeez in Alaskan). My work schedule is such that I have every other Friday off and we drive the 720mi. roundtrip so we can spend the weekend on Prince William Sound. It seems like a lot of driving but a road trip in Alaska is an experience all its own as you'll see if you read on.

After work this past Thursday, I got home, finished packing the car, caught a few hours sleep, and then we (wife, self, and two dogs) loaded up and left home at one AM in the summer twighlight. It was a very active morning for wildlife. Within the first couple of hours driving we saw seven moose, at least a dozen porcupine, a couple of red fox, and countless snowshoe hares in various stages of coloration. Not to mention a couple dozen ponds along the route which each have their own resident beavers, ducks of various varieties and/or trumpeter swans. About 130 miles from home, just south of the junction of the Alaska Highway (Alcan), we were treated with a beatiful summer sunrise casting light on the peaks of the Alaska Range. This picture was taken at 3:35AM during a pit stop for the dogs.

98458562.jpg

As much as we would have liked to just sit and enjoy the scenery, we were on a mission so we kept on trucking. Within the last week the wildflowers have really started blooming and like most places they flourish along the shoulders of the highway. The early bloomers are lupine, river beauties (aka dwarf fireweed), forget me nots, and wild sweet pea. That doesn't lend itself to safe driving for a photographer. A couple more hours along, on the north side of the Chugach Mountains, I just couldn't stand it any more and proclaimed another pit stop for the dogs, coincidentally right by a field of lupine in full bloom. So while my bride walked the dogs I took a couple of quick shots.

98458570.jpg

We got to Valdez around 8AM, had breakfast, walked the dogs (yet again), and then I had to fix the stove/heater on the boat. We were on the water by noon, just in time for the rain to start... On the way out to our anchorage for the first night, we stopped at Shoup Glacier near Valdez to gather enough ice for the weekend (only tourists buy ice up here). Then we dropped shrimp traps and proceeded to Sawmill Bay about 16 miles south of Valdez where we anchored for the night, ate hamburgers and watched "Lord of the Rings" on the laptop. It rained all Friday night and was still coming down Saturday morning. We checked our shrimp traps (had several dozen of what most people call cold water prawns) and moved to another anchorage several miles away where we have historically seen a lot of bald eagles. The main goal for the weekend was to capture some eagle images (after all, who's going to believe that you live in Alaska if you can't even produce a picture of an eagle or a moose?). It was still raining but there were several black legged kittiwakes feeding right around the boat so I decided to use the time to practice my BIF capture technique.

98458577.jpg

This proved to be valuable time spent because I tested my Nikkor 80-400 against my old Sigma 100-300 HSM. I validated that the Sigma focuses much faster. It also let me study the behavior of the eagles a bit and I realized that they use the kittiwakes as scouts to find fish. They're not shy about stealing from them either if they are close enough to get there before the kittiwake can scarf down the fish. So bottom line, find kittiwakes feeding and the eagles will show up soon. This only works until salmon season starts when the eagles will just sit on the bank of a salmon stream and gorge themselves without the need to move around and dive on fish in open water. Anyhow, the rain broke about noon Saturday and it turned into a glorious day. We were anchored in a beautiful spot.

98458574.jpg

Right near the anchorage were a couple of muskeg fields which our dogs love to run around in. Muskeg is basically a layer of moss about a foot deep with all kinds of bog berries, cranberries, wild violets, iris, etc. growing in it. It's kind of like walking on a huge wet sponge. You need a good pair of Alaskan sneakers (rubber boots) and the dogs get soaked to the skin but love every minute of it. This particular place has a fairly healthy bear population and we got woofed at when we started through a thicket between the two fields but never did see him/her. The dogs looked up at me like, "OK boss, you're up". I decided I was "tired" about then and it was time to go back to the boat for a rest. Here I am with the bear dogs in the muskeg. That night for dinner we had fresh cold water shrimp stir fried with pasta in olive oil, garlic, and parmesean cheese.

98458561.jpg

Sunday dawned just as beautifully as Saturday ended. The target of the day was eagle photography. It proved to be an ongoing learning experience but I managed to come away with just enough images to keep me interested/frustrated enough to try even harder. Click on the following image to go to my Eagle Gallery and/or check out the Wildlife forum where I posted a few images.

98749934.jpg

So that pretty well wrapped the weekend on the water. We pulled the shrimp pots which had a few dozen more shrimp. On the way back a school of Dahl Porpoise swam along with us for a ways. The dogs always get excited about that (yeah they're real brave with fish). It was mid day so wildlife wasn't quite as active on the way home. We did see a herd of a couple of dozen Dahl Sheep on Rainbow Ridge. They were way off but we had good glasses to look at them with. Then within 60-70 miles of home, there was a cow moose standing right on the edge of the road looking back over her shoulder. I stopped and sure enough, she walked across and two newborn calves stumbled across behind her. Tiny things on wabbly legs. We continued on down the road lamenting not taking any pictures of the little guys and within a couple of miles ran across this guy. If you are an Alaskan it is definately NOT COOL to photograph moose other than in Denali or some exotic locale. But I had been thinking about documenting one of our trips to Valdez so decided to play tourist for once.

98398777.jpg

So there it is. If a picture is truly worth a thousand words, then this was my dissertation to answer the question, "how do we endure the long, cold, dark winters?"
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Now why would you blur out your faceheadscratch.gif

otherwise, great set and story. Any picks of the shrimp pots???
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    clap.gif Excellent writeup and I love the message that weaves throughout the prose. Your shots are also colorful and varied, which really gives a great sense of what Alaska has to offer.

Beautiful job :D

(Moose!)
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Beautiful photographs! I love the color! I hope someday I get to see alaska!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, Schmoo. Glad you enjoyed the post. Life up here is definately "interesting". In a single day we've been snowed on, rained on, sunburned, and unable to sleep that night becaue it was so hot. In the spring you can be walking in the woods knee deep in snow while being harassed by a cloud of mosquitos ne_nau.gif The payoff is that it's not unusual to see all the stuff as described in this thread as well as whales, sea otter, orcas, sea lions, and puffins in a single weekend.
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Now why would you blur out your faceheadscratch.gif

otherwise, great set and story. Any picks of the shrimp pots???

I'll let you pick the reason for the face blur. Make it as interesting as you wish:

a) I've done that ever since that pesky episode of America's Most Wanted
    b) That's not blurred that's a mosquito net.
    c) I was hiddeously disfigured in a motorcycle accident.
    d) I originally did it as kind of a joke turned psychology experiment to see how many people notice and/or ask.

I don't have pictures of the shrimp pots but I do have pictures of shrimp (aka cold water prawns).

medium.jpg

The hands holding the shrimp aren't from a Seinfeld episode but they do require large size gloves. IOW it's a big shrimp.

medium.jpg
    Dan

• Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Excellent! clap.gifThe lure of Alaska and the north have intrigued me since living several years in Clinton Creek, Yukon...about 60 miles upstream on the Yukon river from Eagle Alaska
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    The hands holding the shrimp aren't from a Seinfeld episode but they do require large size gloves. IOW it's a big shrimp.

medium.jpg

Mr. Blur,
    Now that is a shrimp that deserves to be on the barbieclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Rae,
    You were really out in the sticks there on the Yukon. From what we've seen of Yukon Territory it's much of a muchness with AK.
    dadwtwins wrote:

Mr. Blur...

OK, OK.... Here's another photo sans blur.

94568051.jpg
    Dan

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Wow nice photos ...... A Czech Friend of mine really enjoyed her year of Uof A at Fairbanks, as a cross country skier/runner...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    WOW!! Beautiful series of shots!!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    98458570.jpg

amazingthumb.gif

btw, i think you look kinda familar....headscratch.gif i will need to go back to the post office to look at the FBI posters....rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments, folks. Glad you enjoyed the photos. It was surely a blast capturing them :D
    Dan

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 18, 2008
    As a lower 48'er, my first visit to AK was just amazing. I do hope to get back soon.

I experienced the state on a bike tour and it was truly a beautiful thing. The scenery keeps changing (as does the weather :D). Our bonus was a reasonably clear view of Denali.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Sweet shots, thanks for sharing! And yes, this place is absolutely amazing all summer long! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    I'm guessing mosquito net on the face since it's June and you were in a rather wet area.

Awesome story and photos. I really enjoyed both. I love the parts about the dogs too. Thanks for sharing.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Thanks for commenting and glad you enjoyed the post. I assume the "bike" referred to bicycle? We don't see nearly as many bike tours up here as one would think. I think the logistics throw many people off with few hotels or campgrounds to stop at along the way. Once you're up here you realize that with so much public land you can stop at hundreds of little undeveloped waysides to camp and no one will bother you (no humans at least).

Pete, the mosquitonet is the most practical but also the most boring of the multiple choice options rolleyes1.gif As any doglover knows, having canines along adds another whole dimension to any outdoor activity, sometimes good, sometimes not so....
    Dan

• Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Loved looking at the photographs - thanks for sharingmwink.gif
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I love your eagle images...
    Absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing...
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, folks. Just returned from another Sound adventure. The solstice was this weekend. Endless daylight. Captured a few more pretty decent eagle images.
    Dan