Options

Real Estate Photography

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited August 23, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Real Estate photography is an arena I haven't done too much of but would like to get more involved with it. Anyone here have any experience that could help me know how to get into the market? I have thought of using past clients I have had for weddings, portraits, etc to see if any have connections.

Comments

• Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Real Estate Photography
    I've been doing quite a bit of real estate photography and I've learned a great deal about the market from a Flicr group called Photography for Real Estate, you should check it out. There is also a website of the same name, www.photographyforrealestate.com Hope that helps.
    Real Estate photography is an arena I haven't done too much of but would like to get more involved with it. Anyone here have any experience that could help me know how to get into the market? I have thought of using past clients I have had for weddings, portraits, etc to see if any have connections.
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I do a bit, but it's just to fill holes in my schedule
    I do a bit of work for a few Realtors and 2 builders. Getting the work is not really an issue. Getting paid decent for your time is a hassle. I do the real estate work as almost a lost leader. I actually am also I licensed mortgage broker. I do the photo-work for next to nothing as a networking tool. One closed loan more than makes up for the money i am giving up shooting cheap.

I have found that Realtors and Builders never want to pay a fair price for the service. I'll shoot a house for $150 and they'll think they are paying too much. That's 1/3 of what I would charge for anything else I do. With the market being what it is these days getting paid can be another struggle. I only do this type of work for people I already have a relationship with (top producers) and they pay on time. The projects that I have shot for Realtors that I don't do mortgage business with turned into a struggle (bounced checks, etc).

If you still want to give it a whirl, the best way is to work any contacts that you have in the real estate business. You are going to want to target listing agents. Pick up your local real estate mag (lands & home, Homeseeker, etc). See who has the most listings. Then see who you know, that knows them. I warm introduction is important. People are pitching these agents daily. You don't want to get lost in the shuffle.

The agents that use me, do it as part of their listing pitch. When they are putting on their dog and pony show for a seller, it's one more service that lets them stand out from their competition (and competition is fierce!). They will present it to a seller as something no one else does ("I am going to have your home photographed professionally"). My pictures are not going to sell that house, but the client perception is that it will. After all Realtors are selling perception.

That's just my quick two cents worth.ylsuper.gif

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I am seeking the same thing but with another unique angle.

Interior, street level and elevated. Offering a unique service helps with the sale. This is from a 40' mast with a remote control pan/tilt camera head.

312133067_i3JVk-M.jpg

In MI its still a tough sell. I belong to another aerial type forum where platforms used are full scale, Radio control Helicopters, airplanes, masts, kites and even special made helium balloons and blimps are used. Some of them are doing elevated VR panorama's from a mast or a RC Heli and earning $1k- $2k for each one (heli). It's a skill only a handful can accomplish.

In my area the agents pull out a P&S cameras and say "this is all I need".

I've got an appointment with a group of realtors this coming month.

I should also note that the FAA has commercial photography with RC Planes and helis ruled out until they can regulate the crap out of it. It can still be used as a hobby. Currently many are using masts, kites and balloons.

Troy
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am meeting with a realtor tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    In my area the agents pull out a P&S cameras and say "this is all I need".
    One thing to ask yourself is, if you were the person shopping for your next home, does the quality of the image on the website influence which homes you will visit, or influence how much you are willing to offer to buy the home? Will you skip a home that has a crappy photo even if its in the right neighborhood, at the right price, with the right features? Probably not, not for most buyers in most markets. (exceptions will exist, of course) And because of that, that will influence the real value of the photos to the real estate agent.

A friend of mine is an agent and he hires a small local firm that not only takes the pictures, but also does a floor plan and web hosting of all the images and the floor plan for an unbelieveably low figure. I really don't know how they make money doing it but when he asked if I wanted to supply his images I said "no".
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    If you are at all serious about the quality of your photography, you cannot compete (pricewise) with the established services who spend all day speeding from listing to listing taking "OK" photos for realtors. Unless you are dealing with multimillion dollar properties, "good enough" really is good enough. If you have a contact with Sotheby's, go for it.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    RE: Aerial
    I enjoy the look of mast aerial photography but having worked in my own aerial photo business fo the last few years. I found that realtors usually want a higher perspective. Just last week I photographed a multi million dollar home on the waterfront and she only wanted to show it's relation to the ocean, which you couldn't get with a mast.

I do have an aerial photography marketing course that I purchased a few weeks ago if any of you up and coming aerial photographers need some good marketing techniques.
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    I enjoy the look of mast aerial photography but having worked in my own aerial photo business fo the last few years. I found that realtors usually want a higher perspective. Just last week I photographed a multi million dollar home on the waterfront and she only wanted to show it's relation to the ocean, which you couldn't get with a mast.

I do have an aerial photography marketing course that I purchased a few weeks ago if any of you up and coming aerial photographers need some good marketing techniques.
    Previously for higher shots I'd just use my Radio Controlled Heli. Yes, I would be interested in marketing techniques. What book did you purchase?

Troy
  • Options
    realestategururealestateguru Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2008
    Hmm!!! The info looks really GREAT... Thanks for sharing....clap.gif