Options

WTB: Standard Zoom Lens for D80

oatnutoatnut Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 25, 2008 in Nikon Land
A few months ago I was shooting waterfalls in the snow and busted my arse on the rocks, shattering my 28-80 lens :cry. Sooo... as a broke college student working for the campus newspaper I now need to find a used standard zoom lens, something preferably f2.8 to mount on a D80. Thanks for any feedback. :thumb

Comments

• Options
    ELSELSELSELS Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    How much do you plan (expect) to pay....?
    Thanks-
    God Bless,
    Ed
    oatnut wrote:
    A few months ago I was shooting waterfalls in the snow and busted my arse on the rocks, shattering my 28-80 lens :cry. Sooo... as a broke college student working for the campus newspaper I now need to find a used standard zoom lens, something preferably f2.8 to mount on a D80. Thanks for any feedback. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    depends on the lens i guess.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Lens
    I have a used only once Tamron 28-300mm AF aspherical XR Di LD IF F/3.5-6.3 over here -> [URL=]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190228890957&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009[/URL]

I know it's not a 2.8 but it is a great lens, I just have no need for it.
    oatnut wrote:
    depends on the lens i guess.
  • Options
    jdbishopjdbishop Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Zoom Lens
    I have a 18-70 lens that came with my D70s that I would like to sell. The lens is in like new condition and hasn't been used since I got my 18-200. The lens has had a UV filter on it since new. It has both caps, the hood and the case. Asking $175.00 plus shipping.
  • Options
    bassgal71bassgal71 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Macro Zoom?
    I have a tamron macro zoom - would you be interested in anything like that? I think it is 55-200mm (it's at home so I'd have to check). I know it's not 2.8, but it's a good lens. I recently got a Tokina macro so I don't use this anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    thanks for the feedback thus far, i really need something for low light concerts as well as a fast lens.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    jdbishop wrote:
    I have a 18-70 lens that came with my D70s that I would like to sell. The lens is in like new condition and hasn't been used since I got my 18-200. The lens has had a UV filter on it since new. It has both caps, the hood and the case. Asking $175.00 plus shipping.

what brand and aperature?
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    oatnut wrote:
    thanks for the feedback thus far, i really need something for low light concerts as well as a fast lens.
    Well, it would help us to help you if we knew how much you wanted to spend. You may find that most really good lowlight lenses (f/1.8-2) are not zooms and are usually primes. (fixed focal length)

But let us know how much you have to spend...
  • Options
    jdbishopjdbishop Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Nikon 18-70
    It's the Nikon 18-70 f3.5-4.5 standard kit lens. Great shape, but not a fast lens. If you want a fast lens, either go prime or maybe the 24-70 f2.8 nikon for $1800.00 or so.
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    oatnut wrote:
    A few months ago I was shooting waterfalls in the snow and busted my arse on the rocks, shattering my 28-80 lens :cry. Sooo... as a broke college student working for the campus newspaper I now need to find a used standard zoom lens, something preferably f2.8 to mount on a D80. Thanks for any feedback. thumb.gif

You should go buy either a Nikon 50mm 1.8 or an Nikon 85mm 1.8 if you want to focus on concert low-light photography. The 50mm is an extremely sweet deal if bought new - usually around $120. The 85mm is also very nice and gets you a little more reach, and sells new for around $385. If you can find them used either here in the Flea Market or on eBay, then even better.

If you want a Nikon quality 2.8 zoom expect to pay well over $1000. Even the third party 2.8 zoom lenses cost quite a bit. These two lenses won't break the bank and will provide excellent results on a D80 (I used to own one and I still have both lenses that I use on the D300 now).