Options

Tracks and Rocks

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I was not planning on taking photos that day since I spent the most morning volunteering and melting in 100 degrees+ heat during the annual Scottish Highland Games. I watched men in kilts, listened to the bag pipes warm up and saw the Scottish Heavy Athletes prepare for the Shinty and Rugby games all while checking people in and running errands for the event organizers.

And the heat nearly defeated me. I was dehydrated, covered with dust, dirt and layers upon layers of sunscreen and when my shift finally ended, I nearly wept with relief since I could finally take care of my splitting headache and empty tummy.

But the photo gods had other plans for me… On the way home, I kept looking up at the sky.

The clouds beckoned me; I was too weak to refuse it.

So... photos.

The city of Alviso, California seems so unlike the rest of the technical sophisticated Silicon Valley.

1. Walking the tracks
317417054_wYQR2-L.jpg

2. To the clouds and beyond… and I know that I have to be back.
317417143_xcouw-L.jpg

3. One last track image. My friend liked this one better and wanted it processed contrast B&W.
317621046_63V7f-L.jpg

These are all IR images.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Very cool shots! Love the mood. I definitely think the B&W ones work best.
  • Options
    cloakcloak Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I agree with your friend, I like that bottom one better. It gives a bit more sense of distance to me.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I was not planning on taking photos that day since I spent the most morning volunteering and melting in 100 degrees+ heat during the annual Scottish Highland Games. I watched men in kilts, listened to the bag pipes warm up and saw the Scottish Heavy Athletes prepare for the Shinty and Rugby games all while checking people in and running errands for the event organizers.

And the heat nearly defeated me. I was dehydrated, covered with dust, dirt and layers upon layers of sunscreen and when my shift finally ended, I nearly wept with relief since I could finally take care of my splitting headache and empty tummy.

But the photo gods had other plans for me… On the way home, I kept looking up at the sky.

The clouds beckoned me; I was too weak to refuse it.

So... photos.

The city of Alviso, California seems so unlike the rest of the technical sophisticated Silicon Valley.

1. Walking the tracks
    2. To the clouds and beyond… and I know that I have to be back.
    3. One last track image. My friend liked this one better and wanted it processed contrast B&W.

These are all IR images.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Hey there April, I love your vanishing point with the train tracks clap.gif
    Won't be long and we will be able to go shooting IR together.
    Just another 96 More Sleeps to goooooooo !! wings.gif

I like the colour one two with the channels swapped thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Way to go!
    Each perspective is a very strong image, but that last one is great! Love the depth & clarity. Not a big fan of IR, but I love your bw conversion! clap.gif
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    weronika wrote:
    Very cool shots! Love the mood. I definitely think the B&W ones work best.

Thanks for the kind words! Sometimes, it's worth suffering a bit for images.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    cloak wrote:
    I agree with your friend, I like that bottom one better. It gives a bit more sense of distance to me.

He actually chimp'ed the images in my camera when I went out to shoot with him that evening. I processed and posted a handful that I liked, and then got an e-mail from him wondering about one specific image. He thought it was the best out of the bunch.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there April, I love your vanishing point with the train tracks clap.gif
    Won't be long and we will be able to go shooting IR together.
    Just another 96 More Sleeps to goooooooo !! wings.gif

I like the colour one two with the channels swapped thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D

I can't wait for our trip! And you're going to love IR!

I actually didn't like the way the false color image came out and instead, I just used a gradient map on it.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    DonnaLu wrote:
    Each perspective is a very strong image, but that last one is great! Love the depth & clarity. Not a big fan of IR, but I love your bw conversion! clap.gif

I'm a fan of IR due to the depth and clarity in the image that it can produce; IR cuts through all the haze.

Although I think false color images are interesting, I find that I'm really drawn to IR B&W photos and on those occasions in which I take out my IR body, I usually process everything as B&W. Thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    So beautiful loved them ! very nice work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery