Options

300 dpi

rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Finishing School
Will 300 dpi cover just about any size photo I want to print or will the really really large photos still be pixely when I have them printed?

Comments

• Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    Will 300 dpi cover just about any size photo I want to print or will the really really large photos still be pixely when I have them printed?

It doesn't matter. A 3800-pixel wide image is a 3800-pixel wide image whether it's at 3dpi, 300dpi, or 3000dpi.

Read more here.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    It doesn't matter. A 3800-pixel wide image is a 3800-pixel wide image whether it's at 3dpi, 300dpi, or 3000dpi.

Read more here.

so is that a yes?

I read the material but I don't think I understand it fully. I have a "client" that wants an image blown up to about 16x24 - so if I revert the image to 300 dpi, how will the final printed photo turn out?
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    so is that a yes?

Yup. you can reset the resolution to 3dpi, it'll print just as well. In terms of your .jpg images you should worry about the image dimensions, the dpi setting in the metadata is largely irrelevant.

Here's another page with DPI info.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    rsparts wrote:

Take the number of pixels in the long dimension of your image (likely something between 3000 and 4500). Divide that into the long dimension of the print you would like to make (e.g. 24").

So 4200 pixels / 24" = 175 pixels per inch. Exactly how many pixels per inch you need for a high quality print depends upon the type of subject and the viewing distance (how close you will be when you look at the photo) and how picky you are. Many people report very good enlargements at 120 pixels per inch. Many pros want at least 180-220 and some magazines insist on 300 pixels per inch. I've found very good results at anything over 150 as long as I'm not putting my face 6 inches away and looking for detail that isn't there.

Here's a useful article on how many pixels per inch are needed at different viewing distances: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/print_viewing_distance.html.

As others have tried to explain, all that really matters here is how many original pixels you have in your image, how large you are printing and how picky you are.

You can change the number of pixels in the image by resizing the image, but that doesn't create any more detail, it just interpolates the detail to make more pixels (the same thing any decent print driver will do when you print). You can change the ppi stamped on the image. If you aren't resampling the image also (changing the number of pixels), then all that does is change a label on the image metadata and does absolutely nothing to affect the way it prints. You can change the labeled size stamped on the image. If you aren't resampling the image also, then all that does is change a label on the image metadata and does absolutely nothing to affect the way it prints.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 22, 2008
    I discussed resolution, pixels, and image sizes here

Suffice it to say that for a 24 x 26 inch print, you will only need about 200 pixels per inch, or 200x24= 4800 pixels for the short dimension and 36x200= 7200 pixels. So you need an original image that has 4800 by 7200 pixels ideally. Large prints do not need as high a pixel per inch resolution, because their viewing distance is larger. For a 24x36 in print, many pros settle for 4800 x 7200 pixels ( or "200 pixels per inch") If you feel you must have '300 pixels per inch", your original image needs to be 300x24= 7200 and 300x36= 10800.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I discussed resolution, pixels, and image sizes here

Suffice it to say that for a 24 x 26 inch print, you will only need about 200 pixels per inch, or 200x24= 4800 pixels for the short dimension and 36x200= 7200 pixels. So you need an original image that has 4800 by 7200 pixels ideally. Large prints do not need as high a pixel per inch resolution, because their viewing distance is larger. For a 24x36 in print, many pros settle for 4800 x 7200 pixels ( or "200 pixels per inch") If you feel you must have '300 pixels per inch", your original image needs to be 300x24= 7200 and 300x36= 10800.

Ah thanks so much. I think I get it now