Options

please critique my first wedding set

thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Weddings
I will be making my first wedding presentation to the bride and groom on Saturday and would appreciate any constructive criticism of these images. I am looking for OOF, distracting backgrounds, etc, anything that can be quickly fixed before the presentation on Saturday. Thanks!
http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/5235298_icCtV#319041691_hL3gk

password is Jordan

Comments

• Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I've tried several times but can't get the link to work.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    Moved from Whipping Post, which is for single shot critique.
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    finally loaded
    password doesn't work
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    Worked for me. Note that it is case sensitive
    LittleLew wrote:
    finally loaded
    password doesn't work
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Password worked for me. No issues.

Now for a general C&C

You have done a wonderful job for this couple. I have no doubt they will be well pleased with the images. Composition, subject, timing are, for the most part, very excellent. You do have a couple of, to my mind, "interesting" crops. But, the photos are all excellently executed.

A couple of suggestions for next time:
    • For those shots where you use on-camera flash, get a flash bracket that rotates the camera under the flash. You have a number of images with "nasty" side shadows.
    • Watch for the mottled light coming through trees. Not attractive and no way to recover/edit this out.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

There's a couple where the speckled light coming through the trees affects the shot.
    38, the color balance is off slightly towards blue
    73, 74 the bride is blocked by the plant
    76 is beautiful, but it made me realize that you seemed to shoot quite a few that favored showing the grooms face instead of the bride.

thumb.gif relax!

posted this a couple places I see. :o
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    first wedding set.
    I hope the following is helpful...I looked at your website and it is very good.

Okay, here goes. Picture composition and coverage is good. However, you have some glaring errors. First being that the white balance is off in some of the shots. White clothes look blue or gray (off white)...custom white balance here before the shoot would have taken care of this. I would suggest using an expo disc or a calibration target from Ed Pierce to custom white balance the cameras before the shoot or easy adjustment during post processing. See below.

http://www.photovisionvideo.com/store/shop.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DCT

Church Shots, (inside)

Reference shot for the altar is number 68, shot with the 5D without flash. Great shot, using all of the wonderful available golden light at the altar. All other shots using flash kill the color, by comparison. 68 looks very nice, all others at altar using flash need to be adjusted. Looks like 5D made the correct exposure in almost every shot. Whites look good and skin colors are good...picures are colorful and have pop. On the other hand the D70s is off quite a bit in flash mode in most cases...with flat colors and no pop. Take a look at your lineup...side by side...bright and colorful...then what looks like a desaturated color photo. (compared to the one right next to it of the same subject)

I'm only talking about the color shots at the church...and you had many good ones...favorites are: 44, 50, 55, 59, 66, 68, 73, 77, 114, 107, 116, 126, 124, 115, 108, 102, 93, 130 and there are others, but these are representative of my choices.

Look at number 22 and 23...D70s versus Xti...22 looks lifeless and 23 looks vibrant. Observe 67, 68, and 69...and you will see what I mean.

Nice shots, just fix the above. Your clients will greatly appreciate it.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    thanks for the comments. It's great to have so many second talented pairs of eyes.

There were actually three shooters at the wedding including myself, but unfortunately I was the only one who had the flash bracket so avoid those shadows. I'm pleased the 5D shots came out so well as this was the first time I used that camera. My BF had my old XTi. My friend was using his Nikon. I guess I never really noticed the differences in the shots, but I've looked at these pics so many times that everything seems to be blurring together in my eyes when I look at them now.

I've made some changes and will look over the rest of the suggestions tonight.

I'm sorry also Mod that I put this in Whipping Post. Next time I will know where to put this kind of thread. thumb.gif