Options

Kari: By the River- beware 10 shots

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited June 28, 2008 in People
C + C WELCOME! I asked Kari to imagine she was Ophelia from Hamlet, sad, dark dramatic stuff. The goal was to a find airy, dreamy feel and convey emotion. I didn't have any costume changes but I had several area and position changes, so that's why there are so many.

Have at it!

320575458_Jv4UW-M.jpg
320577182_MFtos-M.jpg
320575742_yku9y-M.jpg
320576223_ocp5v-M.jpg
320575884_FQs2Q-M.jpg
320577403_9FA5f-M.jpg
320577046_297tH-M.jpg
320576710_nJo9F-M.jpg
320576874_pDi8d-M.jpg
320576532_7ueSy-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited June 26, 2008
  • Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    You have a very unique style , which I like !!!
    My only nit pic is , she has gorgeous eyes , and I would have loved to see more emphasis on her eyes ...
    In that aspect , #s 7 and 9 are my favorites !!!
    Well done !!!:):
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    WildWally wrote:
    You have a very unique style , which I like !!!
    My only nit pic is , she has gorgeous eyes , and I would have loved to see more emphasis on her eyes ...
    In that aspect , #s 7 and 9 are my favorites !!!
    Well done !!!:):
    Thank you and I know. This was my first shoot with a model, period and I didn't know a whole lot.rolleyes1.gif Luckily, we've become friends and we're going to do more photo shoots. I plan to get those teal beauties front and center from now on. The shadows got them at the park.
    She has such emotion and such a wonderful face. Can you believe she hates her face in profile or semi pro?? I know it's crazy!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Allow me to take a stab at it...Laughing.gif. Generally, as a viewer (which is hard at times being a photographer) I like to see the subject connect with me. #9 is the only shot where she's looking at me (camera)....the others with the eye contact is under a "veil" so so speak...(1-4-5). Fabric over the face works on occasion but in this instance it isn't cutting it. Often times you may see the lips, nose, chin covered but the eyes are the main focal point and are right there.

#2 looks like she dozed off for a second...wake here up! mwink.gifrofl

#6 isn't working....the setting is not complimenting her but rather takes away because of the bland water/bg.

#8 is a beautiful pose and expression. This shot begs to be cropped very tight bringing out that emotion/feel. Again, the in focus bland backgroud simply takes away....not to mention the desaturation over all. In PS you could crop, blur the background, bring out the color of her hair, skin tones and whala....a real beauty. Just a suggestion.

It may simply be me but #9.....I hate those poses...laying flat on the back looking at the camera....it just doesn't have any "pow appeall".

Overall, they're pretty sharp. Keep going..you'll know it when you see it.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Allow me to take a stab at it...Laughing.gif. Generally, as a viewer (which is hard at times being a photographer) I like to see the subject connect with me. #9 is the only shot where she's looking at me (camera)....the others with the eye contact is under a "veil" so so speak...(1-4-5). Fabric over the face works on occasion but in this instance it isn't cutting it. Often times you may see the lips, nose, chin covered but the eyes are the main focal point and are right there.

#2 looks like she dozed off for a second...wake here up! mwink.gifrofl

#6 isn't working....the setting is not complimenting her but rather takes away because of the bland water/bg.

#8 is a beautiful pose and expression. This shot begs to be cropped very tight bringing out that emotion/feel. Again, the in focus bland backgroud simply takes away....not to mention the desaturation over all. In PS you could crop, blur the background, bring out the color of her hair, skin tones and whala....a real beauty. Just a suggestion.

It may simply be me but #9.....I hate those poses...laying flat on the back looking at the camera....it just doesn't have any "pow appeall".

Overall, they're pretty sharp. Keep going..you'll know it when you see it.
    Thank you! #8 I desaturated it, made it a more b/w without going all the way. If you want to see the original and all the photoshoot it's under the same name at my smugmug- link is in my signature.
    #9 showed her eyes. I lost her eyes for most of the day.
    #2 I thought looked thoughtful and it was conveying an emotion - "i'm cold and my temp is going down..."mwink.gif
    #6 is just one of the poses with that particular angle. Maybe there's one that grabs you on the smugmug gallery.
    Thanks for critiques. Kari and I are hoping to do much better with something more her style. Right now we're looking for a pool to ninja at night... wish us luck!
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Nice series. The background looks a bit ordinary.
    Have you considered a fast lens with shallow depth of field?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Nice series. The background looks a bit ordinary.
    Have you considered a fast lens with shallow depth of field?
    I have a Nikon D80 what would you suggest? Right now I only have an 18-55mm. It's not bad but not great. .
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Any thoughts on making the background extraordinary?

how about boosting the color up just a little? maybe use can use 'multiply' blend mode for the background.. then boost the greens a bit?
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    rhommel wrote:
    how about boosting the color up just a little? maybe use can use 'multiply' blend mode for the background.. then boost the greens a bit?
    The only software I have is iphoto. All the twigs and driftwood in the water and on the shore I personally blended out but it's not perfect, it just rubs the colors around and eliminates the stick or whatever. I'll rework these after it's been a while and repost them. Crops boosts any suggestions I"ll give it a ty and see what I get. With the software I havedeal.gif
  • Options
    sweet home clairesweet home claire Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2008
    What kind of flash are you using? #1 I think could've been wings.gif if she was more lit up...she just looks dark in comparison to everything else. Same for #4 - which by the way, I looove how she mimics the cuve of the tree behind her. You might could save both of those with some software that has a fill light option.

And I personally love the one of her laying on her back - those eyes! I just wish that stupid hair wasn't across her cheek and mouth.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    What kind of flash are you using? #1 I think could've been wings.gif if she was more lit up...she just looks dark in comparison to everything else. Same for #4 - which by the way, I looove how she mimics the cuve of the tree behind her. You might could save both of those with some software that has a fill light option.

And I personally love the one of her laying on her back - those eyes! I just wish that stupid hair wasn't across her cheek and mouth.

I didn't use flash. It went off once and looked horrible. Plus, I didn't know how to dial down the flash at the time, so I just didn't use it. Are you talking about selective lighting because I can't so much do that... but I can lighten the exposure or the overall image. It was supposed to be a moody look... so i thought lots of shadows.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I think you have a great model. I would like to see the hair and eye color pop more though. As far as that is concerned, 9 is my fave of the series even though the angle is weird. My second fave is 8.

I think it is a good start with a ton of potential.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I think you have a great model. I would like to see the hair and eye color pop more though. As far as that is concerned, 9 is my fave of the series even though the angle is weird. My second fave is 8.

I think it is a good start with a ton of potential.

Thank you. The analyzing and getting pointers is helping me find more and more things about her face and hair etc and what needs more emphasis and what not. I definetly feel more keen that I did when I first met her. Plus, reading all the goods on here has helped me out a lot. I have to get it right in camera because I don't have much for post production.
    Seems beefing up the colours is an across the board request. *files in brain*
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    That's a personal creative choice for you to make.
    For the color images, I think she should pop more.
    #8 is fine but could have used a bit of fill in the eyes. I guess the black makeup makes them look even darker.
    In color, B&W, sepia, or desaturated, there's still ways to make her eyes pop more.
    Regardless though, my opinion is that she has beautiful complexion, eyes and hair color that would just help make her "WOW" out of the background w/ a different use of the available light you had or flash.
    Not to single any photogs out, but I think of Yuri eyes when I see eyes like those. Search "Yuri Pautov" for threads on the people and technique forums for some inspiration.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    #8 is fine but could have used a bit of fill in the eyes. I guess the black makeup makes them look even darker.
    Not to single any photogs out, but I think of Yuri eyes when I see eyes like those. Search "Yuri Pautov" for threads on the people and technique forums for some inspiration.
    I know who he is, are you saying her has eye popping portraits?? Or not popping.
    She's a make up artist so I don't begin to tell her what to do with it but I did find a make up diagrahm of Marylin Monroe's set up... so we'll get going with that, plus she can change her eyebrows now that she doesn't do eyebrow make up anymore.
    I'm open to suggestions and I'll give it all a try but I know it comes down to what makes me happy with my work. Thank you.:D
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    to be honest..the set is middle of the road. The lighting is bit flat, colors, don't pop, backgrounds are kinda muddy brown, and the compositions are not extremely compelling/dramatic.

de-focused background (wide open aperture), more dramatic lighting (side lighitng or shooting dusk/ dawn), and some more inventive PP would improve these I think.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    to be honest..the set is middle of the road. The lighting is bit flat, colors, don't pop, backgrounds are kinda muddy brown, and the compositions are not extremely compelling/dramatic.

de-focused background (wide open aperture), more dramatic lighting (side lighitng or shooting dusk/ dawn), and some more inventive PP would improve these I think.
    I will keep those in mind next shoot. Thank you for those tips, wide open aperture means an f-stop of 4 or 5 and a long shutter speed like 200 or so, right?
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    nah I don't think she needs to change the makeup, just get more light on the face.
    f/2.8 would be wide. f/22 would be small.

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Have at it!
    Here you go.. Remember, you've asked :-) mwink.gif

To start on a positive note: well, they are all sharp

Now... WP stuff deal.gif
    • Despite your description (Ophelia and such), none of the pictures "speaks" to me.
    • Light is extremely bland. I understand you can't do much about the weather/climate, but that's why pros use flash outdoors...
    • The bright blue fabric is way too bright for the context, thus stealing all the attention from the model.
    • The dark fabric has some silly pattern and doesn't bring anything to the image really.
    • The models seems to have no idea what she is doing or why she's doing it. I understand you both were trying to have fun, but... You have to tell your model what to do sometimes... And if *you* don't know what she needs to do - guess who's fault is that..
    • She seems to be very uncomfortable having her butt in a freezing water. Remember: camera sees everything. There are some cases when you want your model to be uncomfortable, but that's rare and usually advanced stuff, used by professional models who actualy do know what they are doing. Other than that, rule of thumb: "uncomfortable model = bad picture"
    • Desaturation and selective coloring don't add to the pictures. Both are abused to the degree they cause nosea. You really have to think ten times before using either.
    • #8 may eventualy become useful, but it needs some serious post work
    Not sure if this was what you wanted to hear, but that was my honest opinion headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Any thoughts on making the background extraordinary?

Shoot at f/2.8

Good to see Kari is still working :)
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Halliday wrote:
    Shoot at f/2.8

Good to see Kari is still working :)
    You know her? She's really got a lot going for her. I hope to do better with her in future shoots.
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    You know her? She's really got a lot going for her. I hope to do better with her in future shoots.
    Know...eh....worked with.

Since you asked...

226028394_7vAcX-M.jpg yep :)
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Here you go.. Remember, you've asked :-) mwink.gif
    Not sure if this was what you wanted to hear, but that was my honest opinion headscratch.gif
    Oh I know. I expected some serious whipping because it was my first shoot. I didn't know anything near what I know now. This is from back in April.
    We had a concept but as soon as she disrobed and we got outside [I was in swimsuit and shorts because I knew the water was coming] and we were cold... as soon as we were cold... concept went bye bye and that's my fault.
    I have to have a starting off point, right? I tend to get into weird position and twist my body around to get lots of angles and I didn't do that.
    Yessir, no more desaturation. That's become a theme here.
    Kari has some experience with modelling but I don't know how much and I'm a total n00b. I think we're learning together and I've been contacted by experienced models to shoot TFP so I think I'll just be getting better.
    I will revisit the Ophelia idea, maybe with Kari maybe with someone else. I don't think I can upload my drawings for the shoots... but that's my map. I'm developing a little hip bag for myself so I can be more organized. Making small copies of my drawings and laminating them and putting them in a flip book connected to the bag so I don't loose it but can consult at whim.
    I always appreciate an honest answer.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Halliday wrote:
    Know...eh....worked with.

Since you asked...

226028394_7vAcX-M.jpg yep :)
    Awww. Kari's album is password protected. :(
    That's a nice shot. Small world :D
    She says she looks bad in profile or semi, she looks so good! Silly girl!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    I always appreciate an honest answer.
    thumb.gif Not many do! bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    I like your shoot! very creative, and fresh poses... you said you were shooting with a D80, and an 18-55? Here's a relatively small investment in glass... a Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime lens... or if you have a little more cash to spend, an f1.4, which is better quality glass... Start shooting in A mode, and dial down your aperture to about 2.8 or so on either of these lenses, and you'll create more focus on your subject... i really think that's all that's missing here! I really love how you see things... don't let your lens cramp your style!! :D

Brige
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    My fave is #8!clap.gifclap
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    I like your shoot! very creative, and fresh poses... you said you were shooting with a D80, and an 18-55? Here's a relatively small investment in glass... a Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime lens... or if you have a little more cash to spend, an f1.4, which is better quality glass... Start shooting in A mode, and dial down your aperture to about 2.8 or so on either of these lenses, and you'll create more focus on your subject... i really think that's all that's missing here! I really love how you see things... don't let your lens cramp your style!! :D
    Brige
    I must be way bonkers. Everyone prefers #8..... I didn't much care for it there are others in the gallery I prefered. :D I need to work on my eye.
    Thank you for the compliment, my style. A couple other people commented on that... is it my angle positions or what is defining my style?
    I'm glad the poses look fresh to you, she's immersed in winter water and I'm squatting up to my stomach in it. We were little icicles with the heat on high all the way home! I need to get my act together and buy that lens it's been highly recommended in many forums and directly recommended to me about six times now.
    Thanks for the comment! Thanks for looking AND commenting [I'm guilty of that... I lurk...]
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    thumb.gif Not many do! bowdown.gif
    What the bleep good does it do me to ignore sound criticism?
    If you had flagrantly told me photography was not my thing, sweetheart, I'd have to find you and... I mean, tell you that you are not a gentleman.
    I can't learn by reading the manual or looking at tutorials.
    How do I learn? Falling flat on my face. Pick my self up, laugh, and say: "Well. I am never strapping fish to my feet and walking on linoleum, again. I have learned."
    I'm actually quite surprised people have been so nice to me as they have on this. Compliments outweigh the "I suck" factor. I don't like failure but it gives me power. If I fail, I can conquer. If I just swim along... I'll never find a challenge and just keep swimming along.
    I think I need to eat some sushi, I appear to have seafood on the brain. [i.e. fish shoes... swimming...]
    Feel free to crack the whip all over this. I didn't really look at the pics and think "Oh holy crap, why didn't I direct her more. I totally fell off my theme." I was just thinking "Oh hey! Look it the pretty colours, she looks really nice there, I like the shape there, jeez that water was cold..."