Options

2008 - Wandering around the midwest

rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Journeys
If ya don't mind I'm going to post some of the photos I've taken on my day trips and weekend journeys around Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota.
This will be a work in progress for the rest of the year.

One of my favorites - The hippy bus
318091262_vMofo-XL.jpg

Last weekend in Mazomanie Wisconsin - The Depot
317987084_c63Xq-X2.jpg

Near Brownsville Minnesota
317990656_MNBQU-X2.jpg

The forest
318090709_4DNou-XL.jpg

318090822_9aoUe-XL.jpg

Dunnings Springs in Decorah Iowa
318091127_Ykgyx-XL.jpg

318091180_ksS7q-X2.jpg

Kathy in Decorah
318091076_W5K6p-XL.jpg

318091029_HCJmQ-XL.jpg

More coming.....
www.lonewolfstudios.us
Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
- George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 25, 2008
    Nice photos but tell us more about your wanderings and make it a proper journey :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Great composition, especially the very first image, BUT.. ... .. THE BUS should have been in focus. it totally ruins the scene to create an image that is out of focus. Same is true with the second image.

Your images get much better as you continue through this thread. As the first person to respond said. Tell us of your Journey .. .. why are you going to these places. so many questions and no clue as to what your attempting to show without telling .. are you on the run ? Only joking. but please provide some input. Is this a vacation of random spots chosen for photo opportunities ?

Quit letting the camera tell you what to do. Learn the "Art of Photography" !!

Focus on the main aspect of your scene but allow for the other portions to be just as sharp as our eyes perceive !!

The image called "The forest' has nothing at all in focus .. the next image is superb ! good show !

From here on each image gets better and better !! You have an eye for finding subject matter, now learn how to frame it in your viewfinder more artisticly ! Just a few pointers, .. that might help you see.. and think differently !! Post more images !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    Great composition, especially the very first image, BUT.. ... .. THE BUS should have been in focus. it totally ruins the scene to create an image that is out of focus. Same is true with the second image.

Your images get much better as you continue through this thread. As the first person to respond said. Tell us of your Journey .. .. why are you going to these places. so many questions and no clue as to what your attempting to show without telling .. are you on the run ? Only joking. but please provide some input. Is this a vacation of random spots chosen for photo opportunities ?

Quit letting the camera tell you what to do. Learn the "Art of Photography" !!

Focus on the main aspect of your scene but allow for the other portions to be just as sharp as our eyes perceive !!

The image called "The forest' has nothing at all in focus .. the next image is superb ! good show !

From here on each image gets better and better !! You have an eye for finding subject matter, now learn how to frame it in your viewfinder more artisticly ! Just a few pointers, .. that might help you see.. and think differently !! Post more images !!

Thank you for the comments and ideas, but on a couple of the points you mention, I do have to disagree with you just a bit. You mention the "art of photography" and certainly every aspect of art comes down to personal taste. I could have put my camera on full auto and had an infinite depth of field but that isn't always the photographers point, it may not appeal to everyone ( or anyone ) but it only has to impress one person, the one who took it.

Composition is something I am certainly working on, seeing such great photos on this site really help! As for my story, I'll fill in the blanks soon, I promise!

318091307_pPSzn-XL.jpg
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    During these long Wisconsin winters, I get a little crazy and come up with some wild plans. I like to wander around on the road less traveled and that has spurred some interesting trips. A while ago I was looking at some of te routes I've taken and noticed that I could almost ride the full length of the state on dirt roads, gravel roads and atv trails. After many hours of looking at maps, I had a route that was almost 550 miles and started on the WIsconsin / Illinois border and went all the way to Lake Superior. I recruited my friend Dave and we rode the last 385 miles of the route, here are some pics.

296012135_N82c2-XL.jpg

296011114_rqcn8-XL.jpg

298814786_bBsqo-XL.jpg

More later..
    www.lonewolfstudios.us