Options

The British Are Coming! RAF Red Arrows visit NY

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited June 28, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
The Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" demonstration team (the British equivalent of the USAF Thunderbirds) is on a rare North American tour, performing at a number of air shows, this month. This week, they paid us a visit here in New York. This is the first time the team has flown over New York City. They arrived at Republic Airport on Long Island Wednesday afternoon, then performed a show off of Staten Island, over New York Harbor. They left us this afternoon, en route to Rhode Island for this weekend's air show.

Arriving at Republic:
320242939_VXjo4-L-2.jpg

Looks like rush hour on the Long Island Expressway
320241681_jbPUg-L-2.jpg

The show over NYC
320242079_mxpNR-L-2.jpg

320242285_nQf4S-L-2.jpg

320242348_HtCUa-L-2.jpg

Some after-hours shooting back at Republic
320242644_XAfaB-L-2.jpg

320242872_Maxbs-L-2.jpg

Getting the jet ready for the flight out of town
320514545_bEskK-L.jpg

Preflight briefing
320516741_wXSjb-L.jpg

Keeping it low on departure!
320517600_s7teE-L.jpg

320518218_htMm7-L.jpg

This is the first time I've seen the Red Arrows in close to 30 years, and I was thoroughly amazed at the performance they put on.

More photos here

Comments

• Options
    LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Nice gallery of pictures, (as always) I wish I knew they were at Republic, I live right down rt 110 in Plainview.
    All the best
    Chris
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    The Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" demonstration team (the British equivalent of the USAF Thunderbirds) is on a rare North American tour, performing at a number of air shows, this month. This week, they paid us a visit here in New York. This is the first time the team has flown over New York City. They arrived at Republic Airport on Long Island Wednesday afternoon, then performed a show off of Staten Island, over New York Harbor. They left us this afternoon, en route to Rhode Island for this weekend's air show.
    Arriving at Republic:
    Looks like rush hour on the Long Island Expressway
    The show over NYC
    Some after-hours shooting back at Republic
    Getting the jet ready for the flight out of town
    Preflight briefing
    Keeping it low on departure!
    This is the first time I've seen the Red Arrows in close to 30 years, and I was thoroughly amazed at the performance they put on.
    More photos here

Wow !! they worry me when I see them fly sooooo close together,
    I can't help but begin to pray and hope nothing goes wrong.

These are excellent Moose, there's something about formation flying that I just love ... thank you for sharing these with us clap.gifclap.gif

Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Nice set of pictures Moose glad you enjoyed our Red Arrows mwink.gif The planes they fly (The Hawk) is the planes RAF pilots train on as there first jet aircraft.

Seen the red arrows many times, they never cease to amazes me.

I live about 2 miles (as a crow flys) from our local (civilian) airport and when the Red Arrows are displaying in the south and west of the UK they normally rest overnight at this airport. Being on the flight path we quite often see them coming in and going out.

Can't wait until August as there is an airshow at said airport, might spend one day at the show and the other day in the back garden.

more red arrow info here

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/

Tim
  • Options
    HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Very nice selection, Moose. Well done!thumb.gif
    Pity they were not here in The Netherlands this year. :cry If so, I would have specifically attended the recent airshow in Leeuwarden...

Cheers - Herman
    My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    I took wish I knew about them. Im in lindenhurst... i saw them flying over lindy when i was going to get a haircut