Options

For everyone who needs a laugh

achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited June 29, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
I got an email today that just goes to show how cheap some people can be (I sell a 1M download for $0.99 for the myspace people)
Dear Mr Chambers,

I was wondering if you could email me a certain picture. You have a picture of me in my truck going through the pit at fireball truck nite in my (make and model of truck) on may 16, 2008. it is numbered - IMG_(xxxx). I understand that you are selling the pictures, but i just wanted to use it as my background on my computer. If you would email me a copy i would greatly appreciate it. thank you again.

sincerely,

(name)
Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    eek7.gifrofl rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Shucks................
    You're not giving it to him are you????..........................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Nope, he can buy it just like everyone else.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    lmao....=) Just use it as my background on my desktop.......................
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Maybe he can't figure out how to use the shopping cart! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Whats the min size/resolution for a background .. 70 DPI or something ? Thats going to be a rather ordinary print isnt it ?

I would just pass that on & wait until he replies that he wants a better res..more just for amusement value really.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    just wow. headscratch.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    I got an email today that just goes to show how cheap some people can be (I sell a 1M download for $0.99 for the myspace people)

But you sell the fullsize download for $10 and 5 x 7 for $5. That 1 mb is probably sufficiently large to print a 5 x 7 or 4 x 6, thus I'd be concerned that it's killing print sales and large file sales.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    nobody wrote:
    But you sell the fullsize download for $10 and 5 x 7 for $5. That 1 mb is probably sufficiently large to print a 5 x 7 or 4 x 6, thus I'd be concerned that it's killing print sales and large file sales.

I do very little file sales actually. Most of my file sales people also buy prints of the same picture, guess I'm lucky. My pricing is what the market seems to bear, some of these trucks run in the tens of thousands of dollars for mods, these guys seem to be perpetually broke. This truck belongs to a good friend, he has about 30k in the truck (not including the original cost of the truck) but he does buy a lot of pictures. He managed to break both axles this night and trash a 1k tire.

301219924_6mxwR-L.jpg

301349003_pTYWf-L.jpg
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Dear Sir,

I understand that your time is valuable and that you do need to make a profit; however, is there room for negotiation? If I promise not to let anybody else use my computer and see the image, would you be willing to sell it to me for $.53? Thanks dude,

Cheapskate Trucking
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Dear Sir,

I understand that your time is valuable and that you do need to make a profit; however, is there room for negotiation? If I promise not to let anybody else use my computer and see the image, would you be willing to sell it to me for $.53? Thanks dude,

Cheapskate Trucking

Dear Travis,

As long as no one else ever uses your compuer ever again I might be willing to consider $.74, this is over a 25% discount. I'm sorry I don't feel that I can go any lower due to the recent increase in the cost of pixels.

-Alan
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    Dear Travis,

As long as no one else ever uses your compuer ever again I might be willing to consider $.74, this is over a 25% discount. I'm sorry I don't feel that I can go any lower due to the recent increase in the cost of pixels.

-Alan

Dear Alan,

Would you be willing to work out a per pixel price? I will be displaying this as the background on my $500 iPhone so I really do not think I need more than 40 - 50 pixels. How about $.00005 a pixel? If I need more will you prorate the purchase at a later date?

Thanks dude.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Dear Alan,

Would you be willing to work out a per pixel price? I will be displaying this as the background on my $500 iPhone so I really do not think I need more than 40 - 50 pixels. How about $.00005 a pixel? If I need more will you prorate the purchase at a later date?

Thanks dude.

Dear Travis,

I looked up the screen size for your iPhone and it is 480x320 pixels. This means that you will need 153600 pixels, you're price of $.00005 per pixel sounds more than fair for a picture of this size.

-Alan
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    Dear Travis,

I looked up the screen size for your iPhone and it is 480x320 pixels. This means that you will need 153600 pixels, you're price of $.00005 per pixel sounds more than fair for a picture of this size.

-Alan

Sorry Alan,

I meant $.0000005/pixel. I apologize for any confusion i caused in these negotiations.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Sorry Alan,

I meant $.0000005/pixel. I apologize for any confusion i caused in these negotiations.

Dear Travis,

I'm sorry but that is a teeny bit low. The lowest that I can go is $.000005/pixel, but I feel it is still a bargin at this price.

-Alan
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Soooooo... this guy can afford a Monster truck but not a photo?? Hmmmm..... ne_nau.gif
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    Dear Travis,

I'm sorry but that is a teeny bit low. The lowest that I can go is $.000005/pixel, but I feel it is still a bargin at this price.

-Alan

No deal thief! Now I'm off to pick up some new custom chrome rims.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    Soooooo... this guy can afford a Monster truck but not a photo?? Hmmmm..... ne_nau.gif

Actually he's one of my best customers (until a few weeks agorolleyes1.gif ). He's got all his new parts now so he should have some free money again soon. Teh ones who string their trucks together with bubblegum and prayer are the ones that don't buy.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    No deal thief! Now I'm off to pick up some new custom chrome rims.

The guy with the big blue truck has 1 for sale. It's not chrome, it's powdercoated gray, but the price is right. It's only slightly used (read broke).
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    That's right up there with a friend of mine who owns commercial rental property and is by no means broke. He once went to a yardsale, picked up an old Nesbits bottle and asked how much. He was told five cents. He asked, "Can you do better?"

He got it for three cents. rolleyes1.gif

Or like delivering furniture, heavy appliances or flooring. I rarely get tips for delivering several hundred pounds of expensive household goods, but the pizza guy bringing five pounds of dough and sauce gets a buck or two each time he's there. ne_nau.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather