Options

Blinking pictures

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited April 3, 2005 in SmugMug Support
When I am in a gallery in Elegant or Elegant small if I move my mouse around the screen without clicking the photo displayed in medium or small blinks as the mouse moves over it or other photo's. What causes this? SM problem or browser?

see this movie for example.
http://www.jamesjweg.com/stuff/dscn5045.mov

James.

Comments

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    It is a browser problem (IE) because of the way we do image protection. Here are the details on how you can fix it:
    http://www.jcornelius.com/articles/archives/20041004/solving-ie-image-flicker/

An easier fix would be to of course download Firefox :)

... or buy a Mac ;)

JamesJWeg wrote:
    When I am in a gallery in Elegant or Elegant small if I move my mouse around the screen without clicking the photo displayed in medium or small blinks as the mouse moves over it or other photo's. What causes this? SM problem or browser?

see this movie for example.
    http://www.jamesjweg.com/stuff/dscn5045.mov

James.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    It is a browser problem (IE) because of the way we do image protection. Here are the details on how you can fix it:

... or buy a Mac ;)
    I am a Mac nut, all my personal systems are mac, and I use and love firefox, but your not gonna mod up every system you use when you do what I do. That's a easy fix, but a bummer too, I had changed that setting because I was not seeing replies to posts on advrider untill closing and reopeing IE. headscratch.gif Thanks for the info.

James.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    {JT} wrote:

... or buy a Mac ;)
    Interesting article, it's even more interesting that they propose a server-side solution! You are running SM on Apache, aren't you? Can't you just apply this server fix? If you are not running Apache, maybe there's a solution for your type, too? So tell us what kind of server you're running and maybe I can dig some up. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    Interesting article, it's even more interesting that they propose a server-side solution! You are running SM on Apache, aren't you? Can't you just apply this server fix? If you are not running Apache, maybe there's a solution for your type, too? So tell us what kind of server you're running and maybe I can dig some up. mwink.gif

Sebastian

Alas, it's not quite that simple. Smugmug's photos aren't static - they change, and frequently! I can't predict a valid "Expires" date because people are constantly rotating, cropping, and color correcting their photos... without a verified current version, you'd see distorted photos.

Don
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Alas, it's not quite that simple. Smugmug's photos aren't static - they change, and frequently! I can't predict a valid "Expires" date because people are constantly rotating, cropping, and color correcting their photos... without a verified current version, you'd see distorted photos.
    Thanks for the problem description, it was worth a try.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 3, 2005
    It seems a bit strange that you go to the trouble using scripts and cool css to do image protection when every pic someone opens is already saved on the viewer's computer no matter what tricks you do. I don't understand why you allow the default css sheets to act buggy when using ie? Examples being the blinky image display mentioned above and artifacts in the slideshows mentioned elsewhere. I like firefox and other browsers too, but as everyone knows, 90 plus percent of browsers used today are ie. Seems the default css sheets should run smooth with ie first and firefox second, but what the heck do I know about all of this anyway?? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this? I suppose the generic answer here is the css tricks stop the casual pirates, and the blinking is do to an ie bug or setting. I am just not sure if it is the casual pirates that we should be worried about most. I think the blinky rollover effect has to be annoying to many casual browsers who do not use the auto-refresh setting. Maybe someone has some stats or conclusive spin on all of this. Thanks for listening.

-don
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    This will be resolved in the upcoming templates by switching to pure CSS hover styles and not using javascript. Of course IE may not be able handle them ... but at least you won't have the blinking problem.