Options

Planning A roadtrip to Washington (state)!

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited September 22, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm doing it again! I'm planning another roadtrip to the PNW. But this time I'm going prepared. I've got new lenses and I'm going to take the proper rain gear this trip. The stuff I took was suitable for the Sierras, but not for the rainforests on the Olympic Peninsula. That was my big mistake - the wrong clothing and the wrong protection for my camera... Everything fogged up quick. (If anyone has suggestions please share).

But I'm wondering if anyone can suggest their best sites through Northern California, Oregon and Washington. I'll be sticking to the 101 and 97 for the most parts - last year I took the 5 and it was the most boring road I've ever been on, it's just straight nothingness for hours upon hours.

I figure soon I'll post a map showing my routes, after I've gathered some suggestions and I do a little more research. I know there are some places I'd like to go to as it is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll be taking this trip during October. :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I'm doing it again! I'm planning another roadtrip to the PNW. But this time I'm going prepared. I've got new lenses and I'm going to take the proper rain gear this trip. The stuff I took was suitable for the Sierras, but not for the rainforests on the Olympic Peninsula. That was my big mistake - the wrong clothing and the wrong protection for my camera... Everything fogged up quick. (If anyone has suggestions please share).

But I'm wondering if anyone can suggest their best sites through Northern California, Oregon and Washington. I'll be sticking to the 101 and 97 for the most parts - last year I took the 5 and it was the most boring road I've ever been on, it's just straight nothingness for hours upon hours.

I figure soon I'll post a map showing my routes, after I've gathered some suggestions and I do a little more research. I know there are some places I'd like to go to as it is.

Crater Lake in Oregon

Mount St. Helens in Washington

Olympic National Forest in Washington

Lake Diablo (east on North Cascades Highway in Washington)

The Sea Lion Caves in Oregon (if you are into that kind of thing)

Powells Bookstore in Portland (not a photo place, but if you are a techhead, this is kinda book nirvana)

Portland Zoo (Portland)

Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium (Tacoma, Washington)

I'm just north of Seattle in Lynnwood.

Another place to consider, although outside Washington/Oregon/California, is Victoria, BC and Butchart Gardens

Rain gear - Not really necessary this time of year (shhhh...don't let the word get out).

Mike.
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Columbia river gorge waterfalls and scenic route.

Mt. Rainier NP.

IDAHO. Seriously.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Eek, I forgot to mention this will be happening this October. So fall colors and mushrooms are going to be my subjects. :D
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Second going to Victoria, BC and Butchart Gardens. I've been over there several times and it is beautiful.
  • Options
    T-photosT-photos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Add to your lists, Maryhill Museum and an evening stop at Stonehenge, on 97 as you go into Washington from Biggs Junction I believe.
    Some great barns as you head into Goldendale and some great views of Mts!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Fall colors I guess aren't even close to as brilliant on the westcoast as the east coast (too bad, I really want to see some stunning colors), but the PNW has different colored fungus to make up for it. I want to see some colorful fungi, as I Love macro photography. :) I guess some of you might be like... eek7.gif But it's not what you think! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Heheh, *bump*

Roadtrip is about 30 days away. wings.gif
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    In early October you will get some lovely fall colors on the east side of White Pass in WA as the Tamarack trees turn golden.
    Since you are coming from the south, give the Columbia Gorge at least two days. Great waterfalls and fungi that time of year.

M
  • Options
    jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    It's a tall order to recommend the best places in OR and WA....both states have limitless scenery. I would stick to 101 thru OR, although if you do that, you'll probably never make it to WA...lot's of scenery. As someone else suggested, the Columbia Gorge west of Portland. It's full of hiking trails and waterfalls.

Up in WA, in addition to the Olympic Peninsula, take a ferry ride across Puget Sound. If you happen to make it past Seattle, a couple hours north is Anacortes, where the ferries to the San Juan Island depart. The ride through the islands is great.

And that's just the west side of both states.

Chances are the weather will be good, but it sounds like you're prepared if it's not....sometime in late Oct the weather switches from beautiful to icky.

Have fun!
  • Options
    ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Gifford Pinchot N.P. -http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/index.shtml
    -Good forest enviroment
    Canon Beach
  • Options
    F220F220 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    San Juan Island Area (Orcas, Lopez, etc). Have family there and love to visit them for the scenery as well as the company.