Options

HDR w/o PS Walk thru??

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in Technique
What do I need to be able to get a nice HDR shot with out using Photoshop??

Granted correct lighting/contrast, but what else? My polariser can add a bit too much contrast at times, and I have a run of the mill Nikon VR 200mm lens..

:scratch
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Photomatix, however it will cost some $$, it's not much though.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Slinky0390 wrote:

It's $100
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Slinky0390 wrote:

The way I read it, the OP is asking how to create HDR images without post processing, not Photoshop specifically.

Of course, that doesn't make sense. By definition, I don't think you can have a single exposure HDR image, as HDR means High(er) Dynamic Range (than your sensor can record).

However, you can get a single exposure HDR-like effect. For example, using a graduated ND filter to bring out cloud detail while exposing a landscape on a bright day.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    Blackwood wrote:
    The way I read it, the OP is asking how to create HDR images without post processing, not Photoshop specifically.

Of course, that doesn't make sense. By definition, I don't think you can have a single exposure HDR image, as HDR means High(er) Dynamic Range (than your sensor can record).

However, you can get a single exposure HDR-like effect. For example, using a graduated ND filter to bring out cloud detail while exposing a landscape on a bright day.

That's what I was looking for.. Just some tutorials or something.. I understand how the picture is made using photoshop (or another program) but I like to take shots that don't really need post processing. -I've got high standards.. :D

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    That's what I was looking for.. Just some tutorials or something.. I understand how the picture is made using photoshop (or another program) but I like to take shots that don't really need post processing. -I've got high standards.. :D

HDR, by definition, involves tonality beyond the ability of a single image. All cameras, film and digital, can only capture limited dynamic range. HDR uses multiple exposures to attempt to extend the dynamic range.

You can also use multiple exposures and multiple layers (and masking) in PhotoShop to "extend" the dynamic range of an image.

There is only so much you can do "in camera" and it is definitely not possible to do real HDR in a single exposure.

As far as not doing post-processing on your images, it's kind of like saying you can only accept the performance of a stock Z28 because you have "high standards".

Ansel Adams used lots of post processing work to achieve his photographic goals, and last I heard he had "very" high standards.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    ^ Well, you know what I mean tho, right? I TRY to take good pics that shouldn't need editing.. It's a personal goal of mine.. But every pic could use SOME kind of touch up to really make it stand out.. mwink.gif

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    ^ Well, you know what I mean tho, right? I TRY to take good pics that shouldn't need editing.. It's a personal goal of mine.. But every pic could use SOME kind of touch up to really make it stand out.. mwink.gif

Accepting the images that your camera produces without post-processing means that you are accepting the camera's on-board processing as being better than what you could do. It does not imply "high standards".

Every digital camera records a RAW image and then assigns tone curves according to specific algorithms which vary by:

Manufacturer
    Specific Camera
    Mode of operation or "Program"
    etc.

Accepting out-of-camera results simply means you assume that whomever designed the camera and the modes you use as knowing what you want for a specific situation, which may or may not be true.

I encourage you to explore the possibilities that exist in going beyond what the camera produces.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Great post, ziggy. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    I see what you mean... Out of a group of lets say 30 shots, I get about 4 or 5 that are REALLY nice, to me.. -Just what I was wanting.. Personally, I think this camera suits me very well..

I don't want to seem like I'm arguing, just trying to explain what I find acceptable.. But I will try other methods of editing to extract more quality from this.. I'm still new to the SLR, I've only had this camera about 3 months.