Options

Slideshow artifacts

Moon MullenMoon Mullen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 3, 2005 in SmugMug Support
:huh If I change the background color from black to white and run a slideshow white artifacts appear in some of the photos. If I look at the same still image regardless of the background color the artifacts don't appear. Any explanation?

Comments

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    What browser and what gallery?
    eek7.gif If I change the background color from black to white and run a slideshow white artifacts appear in some of the photos. If I look at the same still image regardless of the background color the artifacts don't appear. Any explanation?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    What browser and what gallery?
    IE 6.0
    http://moonmullen.smugmug.com/gallery/444792

There are 105 images & artifacts are most visible in the photos from 60-70 showing up as white spots on dark green jerseys. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Yeah, I see them too in IE - but they are absent from the fullscreen version of the show (whose only difference is that the images are stretched full screen). It may be a result of the image protection, maybe you can try turning it off and seeing if that solves it.

But, sadly, there is nothing we can do about it. It is an IE problem and we just have to hope they fix it for IE7). Alternatively, you can download Firefox now and never see those white spots again :)

IE 6.0
    http://moonmullen.smugmug.com/gallery/444792

There are 105 images & artifacts are most visible in the photos from 60-70 showing up as white spots on dark green jerseys. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Yeah, I see them too in IE - but they are absent from the fullscreen version of the show (whose only difference is that the images are stretched full screen). It may be a result of the image protection, maybe you can try turning it off and seeing if that solves it.

But, sadly, there is nothing we can do about it. It is an IE problem and we just have to hope they fix it for IE7). Alternatively, you can download Firefox now and never see those white spots again :)
    Thanks for the response. I will fuss with it a bit to see if various settings make a difference. You really think it is an IE problem? I have been using IE all along and I never had this problem. In fact, I uploaded the pics for this specific gallery last week and didn't notice the artifacts earlier in the week. I noticed in the end of month release that some changes were made to the slide show. I'm no developer, but maybe there is a correlation here. Switching to Firefox isn't the solution given I don't control what others use for a browser, and IE still has 90% of the marketplace. I would have guessed that smugmug QA test against IE first and alternative browsers second, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 3, 2005
    I would have guessed that smugmug QA test against IE first and alternative browsers second, but I could be wrong.
    I agree with this. Even though tons of people despise ie, I would also hope that builds/mods would be tested against ie first and firefox second. It is the general masses that buy our photos I think, more so than the geeky browser freaks. headscratch.gif Even though ie sucks, in my opinion it should be buttery smooth when browsing with ie for all of our prospective clients.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    Even though tons of people despise ie, I would also hope that builds/mods would be tested against ie first and firefox second.

I never said that I despised IE, as a matter of fact I used to love it. We do test primarily on IE, even though it is not the browser of choice around here.
    minoltaman wrote:
    Even though ie sucks, in my opinion it should be buttery smooth when browsing with ie for all of our prospective clients.

I agree, my philosophy as a web dev is to make sure that everyone has a good experience while browsing our site. Sometimes, there are compromises that have to be made though. While redesigning the new slideshow, I noticed that we were not protecting the images for galleries that had image protection turned on. So I configured it to do so. Now IE has a problem with some of the images and the small white specks. I could always remove the proctection - but that would generate far more complaints than the IE white speck (to date I have only read two complaints, including this one).
    minoltaman wrote:
    geeky browser freaks
    I hope you are not referring to me, or anyone else here at smugmug ... if so, just let me know.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 3, 2005
    I never said that I despised IE, as a matter of fact I used to love it. We do test primarily on IE, even though it is not the browser of choice around here.
    I hope you are not referring to me, or anyone else here at smugmug ... if so, just let me know.
    JT, no need to get paranoid or anything like that. I certainly was not reffering to you or anyone in particular. In my travels around the net I find that many people that spend considerable time around the net do not use ie. However, most casual to moderate users do use ie and that is the basis for my statements. I have seen many good people switch to designing for firefox first and at this point I feel that is a mistake. You people do a very nice job with css and professional look here at smugmug and my comments were not meant to offend anyone. Thanks for the info and have a good day.

-don