Options

1st wedding - C&C welcome

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in Weddings
I've assisted for a few, now it was time to do one on my own. It went relatively well, although when things fall behind it seems that pictures always get the shaft... It was for a friend, so I was doubly nervous... Anyway, these are a few of my favorites from the day and I'd love any C&C. Thanks!

323002591_FzUgB-XL.jpg

323002689_hx9to-XL.jpg

323002845_PAmxN-XL.jpg

323003903_jc6VJ-XL.jpg

323003948_Cjp9v-XL.jpg

323004115_9Zu2c-XL.jpg

323004311_HtiNX-XL.jpg

323005108_4tkkt-XL.jpg

323016105_5UJ68-XL.jpg

323005297_bAmtY-XL.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I like your style, I think you did a good job. Number 6 cracks me up!
    Jaye
  • Options
    qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I really enjoyed this set. I think you did a great job. I like #1, it seems like the little girls can just imagine themselves as a bride one day! I'm sure your friend will be very pleased.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Very nice set, you really captured some nice moments. #1 is very special, clone out the ceiling sprinkler and it's a winner. I really like the Father of the Bride shot - nice back-lighting and they look so relaxed and happy. #6 cracked me up! You have a certain pj-style to your shots that I like. Great job! thumb.gif
  • Options
    tanyBUGtanyBUG Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    great great style, i love the third one.

only possible negative i could say is the dress looks lightly blown out on a few shots? might just be my monitor though, im on my old computer.

they look really great, i would be thrilled if I shot those :)
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Great Photos!

#4 the feet are cut off, you might want to do a 3/4 crop if that is the only shot that you have to work with.
    #7 I would crop some off the right side.

I think you did a SUPERbowdown.gif job for your first wedding.
    There is alot of pressure taking pictures at a wedding because you want the bride, groom and family to love the pictures you get.
    The green acres #6 shot is very cute.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    WOW. Great shots!!!! Love them all. Only problem I see is #9 (dancing). His face looks pixelated :cry

Great job wings.gif
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I really like #7. It's classic it's pretty and the colours are wonderful.
    #2 has great light but needs to come down in exposure a bit, her head and veil are blown out. #1 looks a bit out of focus and the curtain next to her distracts. Maybe a crop and maybe some b/w?
    You did a great job, I know how nervous it can be to photograph a wedding for a friend! You did a great job!
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Thanks for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it.
    saurora wrote:
    Very nice set, you really captured some nice moments. #1 is very special, clone out the ceiling sprinkler and it's a winner. I really like the Father of the Bride shot - nice back-lighting and they look so relaxed and happy. #6 cracked me up! You have a certain pj-style to your shots that I like. Great job! thumb.gif

Cloning out the sprinkler makes sense. Good idea. I also like the backlighting on #2, and #6 was one we'd planned since visiting the site a few weeks back. I'm happy with how it turned out.
    tanyBUG wrote:
    great great style, i love the third one.

only possible negative i could say is the dress looks lightly blown out on a few shots? might just be my monitor though, im on my old computer.

they look really great, i would be thrilled if I shot those :)

Thanks. The dress could be a little blown in some shots, but I don't think so. My monitor's been calibrated, and the dress is definitely on the edge... I generally went for lighter exposures overall. Maybe I'll dial it back a bit and see what comes of it.
    Great Photos!

#4 the feet are cut off, you might want to do a 3/4 crop if that is the only shot that you have to work with.
    #7 I would crop some off the right side.

I think you did a SUPERbowdown.gif job for your first wedding.
    There is alot of pressure taking pictures at a wedding because you want the bride, groom and family to love the pictures you get.
    The green acres #6 shot is very cute.

Take Care,
    Chuck,

Thanks Chuck. I noticed the feet chopped off on #4 and considered a crop, but I really like the wide look. It bugs me, but I think I'll wait to see how much it bugs them before I cut it up. I have a few others where the feet aren't chopped, but the look isn't nearly as good. Typical luck.

I agree # 7 could be cropped. I think I'll give that a try and see what I think. I kind of like the unique framing with them down in the corner, but it'd be good to see it another way too.
    Agnieszka wrote:
    WOW. Great shots!!!! Love them all. Only problem I see is #9 (dancing). His face looks pixelated :cry

Great job wings.gif

Thanks! Good point about his face in #9. Maybe some noise ninja will fix that! I did have to boost the exposure on that one in post, I think I shot ISO 800 and the noise in the shadows definitely came out to play. I appreciate the feedback!
    I really like #7. It's classic it's pretty and the colours are wonderful.
    #2 has great light but needs to come down in exposure a bit, her head and veil are blown out. #1 looks a bit out of focus and the curtain next to her distracts. Maybe a crop and maybe some b/w?
    You did a great job, I know how nervous it can be to photograph a wedding for a friend! You did a great job!

Thanks! I like #7 quite a bit too. It's been a favorite of a few of my friends as well. I'm not sure there's much to be done about the blown out veil in #2. With that much strong backlight, there's just nothing there to recover. I exposed for their faces and just let the highlights be blown. I'm not sure what you're seeing in #1 that looks OOF... she's pretty sharp as far as I can tell. I'm not so sure the curtain distracts that much, but I wish the curtain rods didn't go through her head. I think a tighter crop would put her too far on the right of the image, ruining the balance.

Thanks again for all the feedback, I've learned a lot from dgrin and have really been able to improve my photography quite a bit based on all the knowledge I soak up here.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:

Great job wings.gif
    SHE LOVES HIM SO MUCH SHE SHARED HER FRECKLES.
  • Options
    olivianolivian Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic- favs are 6 and 7. They should be thrilled with the outcome!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Great job! I love #1 and the petal throwing one is really nice too! This is something you should do more often. (weddings, I mean)